SpyderX: Calibrating monitor on warm or normal color temperature?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Afura New Member • Posts: 6
SpyderX: Calibrating monitor on warm or normal color temperature?

Hello,
I am trying to calibrate my second monitor (Acer XV272UP) and I was told to do a factory reset before I calibrate my monitor. The weird thing is, the color temperature after resetting the monitor is on "warm" for my second monitor, whereas the color temperature of my first monitor if I reset it back to manufactory settings is on "normal".
On what color temperature should I calibrate both monitors? Should I let the Acer on "warm" and my first monitor on normal? Or should I put both on normal or both on warm color temperature for calibrating them?

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,907
Re: SpyderX: Calibrating monitor on warm or normal color temperature?

Calibration will change the color temperature of the monitor to whatever color space you are calibrating it to.

For example, the color temperature of both the sRGB and Adobe RGB color spaces is 6505K. Although it depends on your monitor and calibrator, it might be preferable to change to that value in the monitor settings before calibration.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
OP Afura New Member • Posts: 6

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Calibration will change the color temperature of the monitor to whatever color space you are calibrating it to.

For example, the color temperature of both the sRGB and Adobe RGB color spaces is 6505K. Although it depends on your monitor and calibrator, it might be preferable to change to that value in the monitor settings before calibration.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can change the Kelvin in just one of the two monitors. I am not sure which Kelvin the second monitor has, it isn't mention anywhere in the settings or on their site. So best thing to do is using the same Kelvin for both to be sure?

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,907

Afura wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can change the Kelvin in just one of the two monitors. I am not sure which Kelvin the second monitor has, it isn't mention anywhere in the settings or on their site. So best thing to do is using the same Kelvin for both to be sure?

Calibration will change the white point of the monitor. If you calibrate both monitors, you'll end up with the same Kelvin value for both.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,436

Afura wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to calibrate my second monitor (Acer XV272UP) and I was told to do a factory reset before I calibrate my monitor. The weird thing is, the color temperature after resetting the monitor is on "warm" for my second monitor, whereas the color temperature of my first monitor if I reset it back to manufactory settings is on "normal".
On what color temperature should I calibrate both monitors? Should I let the Acer on "warm" and my first monitor on normal? Or should I put both on normal or both on warm color temperature for calibrating them?

Are both monitors the same model? If not then you need two profiles or to just do all your critical work on the properly calibrated monitor.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
OP Afura New Member • Posts: 6

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Afura wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Calibration will change the white point of the monitor. If you calibrate both monitors, you'll end up with the same Kelvin value for both.

Okay, thanks for the info, make sense, cause I actually thought calibrating one monitor on warm and the other on neutral would change the results. Thx

photonut2008 wrote:

Afura wrote:

Hello,

Are both monitors the same model? If not then you need two profiles or to just do all your critical work on the properly calibrated monitor.

Hello. I am using two different monitors, an Acer and a Dell. The Acer has after factory reset warm as default color temperature and the Dell has as default settings neutral as color temperature. So I am calibrating the Acer on warm and the Dell on neutral, so I was not sure if I should put both monitors on warm or neutral.

photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,436

Afura wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

Afura wrote:

Hello,

Hello. I am using two different monitors, an Acer and a Dell. The Acer has after factory reset warm as default color temperature and the Dell has as default settings neutral as color temperature. So I am calibrating the Acer on warm and the Dell on neutral, so I was not sure if I should put both monitors on warm or neutral.

Just follow the software's directions in adjusting the monitor' settings and then look at them side-by-side to see if they look reasonably close or not.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads