F272 video recording goes to sleep after 30 mins!

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Wibba New Member • Posts: 1
F272 video recording goes to sleep after 30 mins!

I can find no way to turn sleep off on the camera menus.  Advice on how to achieve this would be gratefully received.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,376
Re: F272 video recording goes to sleep after 30 mins!

Wibba wrote:

I can find no way to turn sleep off on the camera menus. Advice on how to achieve this would be gratefully received.

I can't find any reference to any F272 camera. Did you mean the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ72 (aka Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 in North America)? The "Sleep" setting is probably not the problem. I found this in the Basic Owner's Manual for the DMC-FZ70:

"About recording motion pictures

You can continuously record a motion picture in [MP4] for up to 29 minutes
59 seconds or approx. 4 GB. (Since recording in [MP4] with [FHD] creates
larger files, the recording time for such motion pictures will be shorter than
29 minutes 59 seconds.)"

The time limitation was built into the camera for EU tax purposes and cannot be changed. The 4GB limit is due to the camera's built-in file system (how the camera formats the SD card) so that can't be changed either. Since the time the FZ72/FZ70 was released, several cameras don't have a time limit and/or have bigger file limits.

You can get around these limits by stopping the recording and starting another new recording. In certain situations, like an interview, this may appear unprofessional.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +30 more
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195
If you want to shoot video,

buy a video camera.  They are designed to do the job right.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +7 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,978
Re: F272 video recording goes to sleep after 30 mins!

For EC tax resons (there is an extra tax for video cameras) that 29.9 min recording limit is common on many still cameras.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads