D850 4K Video Problem - Dropped sound on last frame

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Utah444 New Member • Posts: 3
D850 4K Video Problem - Dropped sound on last frame

Video question using a D850, 4K MP4 recording:

The camera automatically creates multiple files, which must be aligned in editing software. That is not a problem, of course, but my clips have frame or two at the end of each file that has video, but no sound. When I join them, there is an audio "click" sound that I must edit out. The next file in the sequence has no issues at the start, but will have the oddity at the end of the clip.

This clip joins two concurrent files.  I marked the 1 frame audio gap.

Is this a settings issue, software problem, or something else???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
--Utah444

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
philm5d Senior Member • Posts: 1,084
Re: D850 4K Video Problem - Dropped sound on last frame

I have a feeling this might by quite common and not a "fault". I was looking at Preferences in one of my editing programs recently and one of the options was to trim various numbers of frames from the start or the end of the imported clips. Sorry I can't recall which program I was looking at, I have several. But maybe it's a sort-of cure for what you are experiencing.

patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 999

Are you recording in camera audio or with an external mic plugged in? Also just curious as to why you need to record in 4K, is that a personal want or is it a client need? I do very little video but when I do, I shoot 1080, because that’s what all the local news stations want, heck they’ll even buy 720!

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D5 Nikon D850 +3 more
RuaanGrobler New Member • Posts: 4

The clip is a little short to tell for sure, but I've found on many cameras (including older Sonys and Canons, and my current XT-3) that this occasionally happens with longer recordings. In my case, the next clip's sound was then often actually offset by one frame, so you have to disconnect the audio from the visual (unlink in Premier) and shift the sound from the second clip to cover the gap at the end of the first clip.
Basically, I think the sound and visual don't always end (and start) on exactly the same frame when you record for extended periods and it's split into multiple clips.
I really hope that helps.
The easiest test would be to unlink the audio and visual, then line up the audio clips without the gap and listen if it's smooth. If there is actually a gap in audio, then I'm afraid I don't think it's fixable. I would probably, as a cheap-but-better-than-nothing hack just duplicate the last frame of audio before the dip and splice it in. Not ideal, but better than the complete silence. You could also try doing the last audio frame and the first new audio frame both at 50% volume - like a manual interpolation. I've used this with success, but it's not always perfect.
And then consider buying an external audio recorder for next time. Besides better quality, you will also have redundancy.

RuaanGrobler's gear list:RuaanGrobler's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3
OP Utah444 New Member • Posts: 3

patricksmith32 wrote:

Are you recording in camera audio or with an external mic plugged in? Also just curious as to why you need to record in 4K, is that a personal want or is it a client need? I do very little video but when I do, I shoot 1080, because that’s what all the local news stations want, heck they’ll even buy 720!

Patrick:  I was recording both on-camera with an external mic, and an independent audio recorder.  The on-camera is used as a "scratch" track to help sync up the better quality audio, recorded on another device.   In a sense, that mitigated the dropped audio frames, but if I wanted to use the camera audio that would have necessitated some careful editing.  Not sure if it would have been too noticeable, but it bugs me anyway (that there are lost audio frames).

The reason for shooting 4K, even though the final output was 1080P, is to allow for a "digital zoom" in editing.  I can push in on the footage without looking resolution in the final product.

OP Utah444 New Member • Posts: 3

RuaanGrobler wrote:

The clip is a little short to tell for sure, but I've found on many cameras (including older Sonys and Canons, and my current XT-3) that this occasionally happens with longer recordings. In my case, the next clip's sound was then often actually offset by one frame, so you have to disconnect the audio from the visual (unlink in Premier) and shift the sound from the second clip to cover the gap at the end of the first clip.
Basically, I think the sound and visual don't always end (and start) on exactly the same frame when you record for extended periods and it's split into multiple clips.
I really hope that helps.
The easiest test would be to unlink the audio and visual, then line up the audio clips without the gap and listen if it's smooth. If there is actually a gap in audio, then I'm afraid I don't think it's fixable. I would probably, as a cheap-but-better-than-nothing hack just duplicate the last frame of audio before the dip and splice it in. Not ideal, but better than the complete silence. You could also try doing the last audio frame and the first new audio frame both at 50% volume - like a manual interpolation. I've used this with success, but it's not always perfect.
And then consider buying an external audio recorder for next time. Besides better quality, you will also have redundancy.

Thanks Ruaan for the ideas.  The next clip started immediately with the properly synced audio.  That leaves me with one or two frames of dropped audio at the end of the previous clip.  I actually WAS recording the show on a separate audio recorder and that is what I used in the final edit (the clip I posted is using a Rhode mic plugged into the camera so the audio glitch was evident).  The on-camera audio was a scratch track for syncing the two audio sources in editing.  I would have to do a more forensic analysis of the issue to see if copying a couple of audio frames and inserting them would mask the problem .

I am familiar with Premiere but got tired of the monthly subscription plan from Adobe and switched to Vegas Pro.  It works for me.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads