Using Zoom-in button to increase zoom when taking image

Started 2 months ago | Questions
mesla New Member • Posts: 1
Using Zoom-in button to increase zoom when taking image

This maybe a question that has been asked many times but I have not found an answer so please assist.  Here is the scenario:

D750 in manual, with 24-70 lens.  I put the camera in liveview and zoom the lens to 70mm.  I then use the Zoom-in button to zoom even further. I would like to able to capture that image.  When I depress the shutter release the image that is taken is from the 70mm view alone.    It is really amazing how much further you can zoom when using Zoom-in button. thanks for any help, in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,656
Re: Using Zoom-in button to increase zoom when taking image

That zoom is really only for viewing images.

As you've found, nothing to do with capture...

Just get a longer lens. The tiny 70-200mm f/4 complements the 24-70 nicely!

/edit:

... or crop the captured image. That is the same as you see when "pressing the zoom-in button".

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
I a n
I a n Regular Member • Posts: 137

Janoch wrote:

... or crop the captured image. That is the same as you see when "pressing the zoom-in button".

This is what zooming in on the back of the camera is doing - but at much lower resolution than is available to you in your editor. Crop to get the same effect.

But the usual limitations apply. Typically you can get better quality by being closer or by using a longer lens.

I a n's gear list:I a n's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,464

These DSLRs do not have “digital zoom” while taking photos.  P&S cameras can do that, but it’s just empty magnification, you’re not getting any more detail. As has been said, you can achieve the same by editing in post.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads