Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,118
Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!
16

Hi,

going on with my testing of the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit, I keep getting some nice -for my standards- shots:

A moon from last night. Not as detailed as you would get from longer lenses, but still decent.

Today at the sea today, pp to more dramatic look

This is where we went for swimming today. As soon as sea got rough, I went out to capture the scene

Cropped and dehazed in LR. Check previous photo to understand how much I zoomed

A little bug jumping and looking for food!

Not much flowers on the rocks next to sea, but still beautiful

Some more from the stormy sea

Wish I could go closer but no... pp with Topaz Denoise AI Clear

Since I couldn't get much details from heavy crop decided to just pp the whole scene with the butterfly in her natural environment

So this is again the strength of the 12-200. Optically is not fantastic, though not bad either, but its light, weather resistant, focuses fast and is super versatile when you want to carry just one lens.

For anyone interested. at the same time I am also testing the RX10IV. Technically the Sony camera is superb. Better CAF, sharper, longer and faster lens, nothing to blame it really. BUT, despite the softer lens, I would still prefer the EM5.3 &12-200 kit. Its a bit lighter and smaller, can take other lenses if you like, has better colors and turns on and zooms much faster. Personally I cant really enjoy the RX10 IV.

 Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 Olympus E-M5 III Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
UrbanHobbit Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!
1

I have been following your posts about this lens with great interest! Currently I am planning to get a second used E-M1 II as part of a two-body quick-draw scheme, one body to cover roughly 12-50mm and the other to cover 50-200mm. But this 12-200mm lens costs about the same as that extra E-M1 II, and would cover the entire range of focal lengths...

I live in Japan and the reviews on Amazon Japan are rather polarized. Those by Japanese buyers are brief, and emphasize the softness beyond 150mm, and the lens generally isn't recommended optically, but as a good all-in-one travel solution. By contrast, there many lengthy reviews by Germans, who seem to be much more positive on the performance of this lens. Reading those, it seems like more of a technological achievement. Granted, nobody's recommending this over the 12-100 f/4 for image quality or anything, but the sentiment seems much more positive and excited. It could be the automatic translations, but it seems to me that the latter reviewers are testing their copies differently. Maybe they are more likely to stop down, or otherwise shoot to the advantage of this lens.

Anyway, this has thrown my plan for a loop! I thought I could just get the second body and eliminate lens swaps. But now I wonder if I could get away with this 12-200 and just one body for daytime shooting, and carry a couple of larger-aperture primes for dusk and indoors.

 UrbanHobbit's gear list:UrbanHobbit's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Yannis1976
OP Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,118
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!
1

UrbanHobbit wrote:

I have been following your posts about this lens with great interest! Currently I am planning to get a second used E-M1 II as part of a two-body quick-draw scheme, one body to cover roughly 12-50mm and the other to cover 50-200mm. But this 12-200mm lens costs about the same as that extra E-M1 II, and would cover the entire range of focal lengths...

I live in Japan and the reviews on Amazon Japan are rather polarized. Those by Japanese buyers are brief, and emphasize the softness beyond 150mm, and the lens generally isn't recommended optically, but as a good all-in-one travel solution. By contrast, there many lengthy reviews by Germans, who seem to be much more positive on the performance of this lens. Reading those, it seems like more of a technological achievement. Granted, nobody's recommending this over the 12-100 f/4 for image quality or anything, but the sentiment seems much more positive and excited. It could be the automatic translations, but it seems to me that the latter reviewers are testing their copies differently. Maybe they are more likely to stop down, or otherwise shoot to the advantage of this lens.

Anyway, this has thrown my plan for a loop! I thought I could just get the second body and eliminate lens swaps. But now I wonder if I could get away with this 12-200 and just one body for daytime shooting, and carry a couple of larger-aperture primes for dusk and indoors.

Happy to share some RAW files if you want. Just tell me which fl or subjects your are interested in.

 Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 6,292
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!

Yannis1976 wrote:

Hi,

going on with my testing of the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit, I keep getting some nice -for my standards- shots:

A moon from last night. Not as detailed as you would get from longer lenses, but still decent.

Today at the sea today, pp to more dramatic look

This is where we went for swimming today. As soon as sea got rough, I went out to capture the scene

Cropped and dehazed in LR. Check previous photo to understand how much I zoomed

A little bug jumping and looking for food!

Not much flowers on the rocks next to sea, but still beautiful

Some more from the stormy sea

Wish I could go closer but no... pp with Topaz Denoise AI Clear

Since I couldn't get much details from heavy crop decided to just pp the whole scene with the butterfly in her natural environment

So this is again the strength of the 12-200. Optically is not fantastic, though not bad either, but its light, weather resistant, focuses fast and is super versatile when you want to carry just one lens.

For anyone interested. at the same time I am also testing the RX10IV. Technically the Sony camera is superb. Better CAF, sharper, longer and faster lens, nothing to blame it really. BUT, despite the softer lens, I would still prefer the EM5.3 &12-200 kit. Its a bit lighter and smaller, can take other lenses if you like, has better colors and turns on and zooms much faster. Personally I cant really enjoy the RX10 IV.

Nice set of pics and I feel like doing a walkabout now!

The RX10IV is amazing... until you want to shoot ultra wide or fisheye, or a f1.2 portrait lens or want a coat pocketable body plus small prime like a GX9 with 14mm f2.5 for some indiscreet social pics.

But an amazing camera regardless and one I would recommend to any enthusiast friend of mine wanting maximum capability without having to change lenses.

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

Vaardu New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!

This looks like a good lens to replace my 12-60 and 14-140mm lenses, even though I'd still keep those ones around but something to carry around with me on my GH5 for some video and photo. How does it fare in video?

Yannis1976
OP Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,118
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!
1

Vaardu wrote:

This looks like a good lens to replace my 12-60 and 14-140mm lenses, even though I'd still keep those ones around but something to carry around with me on my GH5 for some video and photo. How does it fare in video?

No idea, I have only done a very short clip with it (3sec)...

 Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Vaardu New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!

Yannis1976 wrote:

Vaardu wrote:

This looks like a good lens to replace my 12-60 and 14-140mm lenses, even though I'd still keep those ones around but something to carry around with me on my GH5 for some video and photo. How does it fare in video?

No idea, I have only done a very short clip with it (3sec)...

Ah, alright. It's still an attractive lens, I'm probably going to consider it at some point.

UrbanHobbit Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!
1

Just found this short test video with the 12-200 on a GH5, shot in March: https://youtu.be/SnZiM4V7uNw

 UrbanHobbit's gear list:UrbanHobbit's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Lu1Wang
Lu1Wang Senior Member • Posts: 2,022
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!
1

Hard to imagine all these were shot on the same lens. 
if I didn’t get the 12-100, I would definitely get the 12-200 for sure

 Lu1Wang's gear list:Lu1Wang's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
Yannis1976
OP Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,118
Re: Another set of 10 with the EM5.3 & 12-200 kit!

Lu1Wang wrote:

Hard to imagine all these were shot on the same lens.
if I didn’t get the 12-100, I would definitely get the 12-200 for sure

Especially if the 12-200 is fine from 12 to 100mm...

 Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads