Nikon 16-80 DX 2.8-4e ED lens focus override not working

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Tumblingrun New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon 16-80 DX 2.8-4e ED lens focus override not working

Hello Everyone - I have the Nikon 16-80 DX 16-80 mm DX 2.8E ED lens which I have been using mostly on a Nikon D500. The last couple of days I have noticed the focus override is not working or is frozen. The ring simply will not turn nor can I change the focus switch from M/A to M. I have determined that it must be the lens as other lens with manual focus override are working on the D500 and when I attached the 16-80 lens to my D7100 the same problem occurs. It doesn't matter if the lens is on or off the camera, the manual focus ring will not turn and the M/A - M button is locked. Auto focus continues to work fine. Any ideas what is causing this problem? Thanks for any assistance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
embie
embie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125
Re: Nikon 16-80 DX 2.8-4e ED lens focus override not working

Tumblingrun wrote:

Hello Everyone - I have the Nikon 16-80 DX 16-80 mm DX 2.8E ED lens which I have been using mostly on a Nikon D500. The last couple of days I have noticed the focus override is not working or is frozen. The ring simply will not turn nor can I change the focus switch from M/A to M. I have determined that it must be the lens as other lens with manual focus override are working on the D500 and when I attached the 16-80 lens to my D7100 the same problem occurs. It doesn't matter if the lens is on or off the camera, the manual focus ring will not turn and the M/A - M button is locked. Auto focus continues to work fine. Any ideas what is causing this problem? Thanks for any assistance.

Hello, welcome to DPR !

Sounds like a mechanical problem inside your lens.

Remove your lens from the body and try to (gently) turn the focus ring a bit, simultaneously with "moving" the M/A - M switch.

Success,

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +1 more
OP Tumblingrun New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks for the suggestion. With a bit more than a gentle twist of the focusing ring I was able to free it and it now turns. Was unable to move the M/A - M switch however but I rarely use the M selection on the lens just the override.

m1964 Contributing Member • Posts: 754

Tumblingrun wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. With a bit more than a gentle twist of the focusing ring I was able to free it and it now turns. Was unable to move the M/A - M switch however but I rarely use the M selection on the lens just the override.

I just checked mine. I almost never use focus override and don't even remeber wnen I moved the focus mode switch- probably when I got the lens a few years ago.

On mine, the focus ring moved fine, the switch needed a little effort, probably because I never used it.

If you used the lens outdoors,  in dusty environment, it possible some dust got into the mechanics.

You can try spraying electrical connector cleaner/lubricant around the switch, or possibly send the lens to Nikon for servicing.

I would not apply increased pressure to either one-the focus ring or the switch.

m1964's gear list:m1964's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads