GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
HenryO12 Regular Member • Posts: 182
GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

Can someone explain this setting to me please. Is it minimum as in fastest or minimum as in smallest number?

When I use it, it doesn’t seem to be a minimum, all my shots are set to that speed. E.g. I set it 1000 all my shots are 1000. I set it to 100 all my shots are 100.

John Keiffer Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

TL:DR Set min to a low/slow number not high one.

I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this faster, easier, and more simply than me, but since you don't have any replies yet I'll try.

Minimum is the slowest that you would like the camera to shoot at, and maximum is the max speed would would like it to shoot at.

When you set the min to 1000, then yes, the camera shoots everything at 1000. When you set it to 100, and got all 100 shots, that is probably due to the scenes you were shooting and the settings you were using on the camera.

WIth the GRIII I would think you could set the min to probably 30 and still get good results. I don't have one, so someone else can confirm. Plus if you are using shake reduction like ibis, you could maybe go even lower.

It all depends on what you are trying to do, but also what the camera thinks you should be doing. Unless you are in complete manual mode, the camera is making decisions for you still, and usually getting them right anyway.

-- hide signature --

John

 John Keiffer's gear list:John Keiffer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 300D Sony a6000
OP HenryO12 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

John Keiffer wrote:

TL:DR Set min to a low/slow number not high one.

I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this faster, easier, and more simply than me, but since you don't have any replies yet I'll try.

Minimum is the slowest that you would like the camera to shoot at, and maximum is the max speed would would like it to shoot at.

When you set the min to 1000, then yes, the camera shoots everything at 1000. When you set it to 100, and got all 100 shots, that is probably due to the scenes you were shooting and the settings you were using on the camera.

WIth the GRIII I would think you could set the min to probably 30 and still get good results. I don't have one, so someone else can confirm. Plus if you are using shake reduction like ibis, you could maybe go even lower.

It all depends on what you are trying to do, but also what the camera thinks you should be doing. Unless you are in complete manual mode, the camera is making decisions for you still, and usually getting them right anyway.

Thanks John,

So to clarify if I understand it right, if I set it for 1,000 it won’t open for longer than 1,000. if I set it to 125 for example, it won’t open longer than 125 (could be 150, 800, 1,000, who knows, but not longer than 125). If I set it to 1” it could be anywhere up to 1”, e.g. 1,000, 250, 30, 1”.
Is that right?

ViMa
ViMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,840
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting
2

HenryO12 wrote:

John Keiffer wrote:

TL:DR Set min to a low/slow number not high one.

I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this faster, easier, and more simply than me, but since you don't have any replies yet I'll try.

Minimum is the slowest that you would like the camera to shoot at, and maximum is the max speed would would like it to shoot at.

When you set the min to 1000, then yes, the camera shoots everything at 1000. When you set it to 100, and got all 100 shots, that is probably due to the scenes you were shooting and the settings you were using on the camera.

WIth the GRIII I would think you could set the min to probably 30 and still get good results. I don't have one, so someone else can confirm. Plus if you are using shake reduction like ibis, you could maybe go even lower.

It all depends on what you are trying to do, but also what the camera thinks you should be doing. Unless you are in complete manual mode, the camera is making decisions for you still, and usually getting them right anyway.

Thanks John,

So to clarify if I understand it right, if I set it for 1,000 it won’t open for longer than 1,000. if I set it to 125 for example, it won’t open longer than 125 (could be 150, 800, 1,000, who knows, but not longer than 125). If I set it to 1” it could be anywhere up to 1”, e.g. 1,000, 250, 30, 1”.
Is that right?

You are basically setting the lowest you want your shutter speed to be. Until the shutter speed reaches that point, the camera will tend to keep the ISO as low as possible.

If you're shooting a dark scene and you have set your min. To 1/50 and are shooting auto ISO from 800-6400, and have the aperture set to f4, the camera will prefer ss 1/50 and ISO 3200 than ss 1/100 and ISO 6400.

If you give it a very fast minimum shutter speed, then it will increase the ISO in order to stick to that shutter speed at a minimum.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio
_________________________________________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155724624@N06/

 ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx
John Keiffer Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

HenryO12 wrote:

So to clarify if I understand it right, if I set it for 1,000 it won’t open for longer than 1,000. if I set it to 125 for example, it won’t open longer than 125 (could be 150, 800, 1,000, who knows, but not longer than 125). If I set it to 1” it could be anywhere up to 1”, e.g. 1,000, 250, 30, 1”.

Is that right?

Yup. Pretty much. You have to understand why you are setting it to a certain value (ie what you are trying to achieve). If you didn't set a min speed, then the camera would keep the shutter open long enough to get the correct exposure, which could be long or short depending on the light and scene.

-- hide signature --

John

 John Keiffer's gear list:John Keiffer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 300D Sony a6000
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

HenryO12 wrote:

Can someone explain this setting to me please. Is it minimum as in fastest or minimum as in smallest number?

When I use it, it doesn’t seem to be a minimum, all my shots are set to that speed. E.g. I set it 1000 all my shots are 1000. I set it to 100 all my shots are 100.

You should see the shutter speed go faster as light levels increase or as you open up the aperture, assuming you have locked ISO. What mode are you using?

-- hide signature --
 Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
OP HenryO12 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

HenryO12 wrote:

Can someone explain this setting to me please. Is it minimum as in fastest or minimum as in smallest number?

When I use it, it doesn’t seem to be a minimum, all my shots are set to that speed. E.g. I set it 1000 all my shots are 1000. I set it to 100 all my shots are 100.

You should see the shutter speed go faster as light levels increase or as you open up the aperture, assuming you have locked ISO. What mode are you using?

Thanks, that’s interesting because this why I asked the question. I was at the beach on Saturday (yes I braved my GR3 with sand!), really bright light, in Av mode, set to f8, min iso100 max iso3200. I tested the min shutter setting a lot. When I set it to 1000 min, every shot was 1000/3200. When I set it to 100 min, every shot was 100/3200. So what I don’t understand is why is the shutter speed hitting dead on the min settings and why is the iso hitting 3200 with ss100 on a really bright sunny day? I had it in highlight priority if that makes a difference?

John Keiffer Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

HenryO12 wrote:

Thanks, that’s interesting because this why I asked the question. I was at the beach on Saturday (yes I braved my GR3 with sand!), really bright light, in Av mode, set to f8, min iso100 max iso3200. I tested the min shutter setting a lot. When I set it to 1000 min, every shot was 1000/3200. When I set it to 100 min, every shot was 100/3200. So what I don’t understand is why is the shutter speed hitting dead on the min settings and why is the iso hitting 3200 with ss100 on a really bright sunny day? I had it in highlight priority if that makes a difference?

You basically answered your own question. Shooting in the bright day with 1000/3200 at F8, and the camera can only choose ISO based on what you said. So the camera wanted to shoot at an even higher ISO, but it couldn't because it was capped already. So the exposure would not be as maybe expected. The min settings were better because it could better handle the exposures required.

-- hide signature --

John

 John Keiffer's gear list:John Keiffer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 300D Sony a6000
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

HenryO12 wrote:

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

HenryO12 wrote:

Can someone explain this setting to me please. Is it minimum as in fastest or minimum as in smallest number?

When I use it, it doesn’t seem to be a minimum, all my shots are set to that speed. E.g. I set it 1000 all my shots are 1000. I set it to 100 all my shots are 100.

You should see the shutter speed go faster as light levels increase or as you open up the aperture, assuming you have locked ISO. What mode are you using?

Thanks, that’s interesting because this why I asked the question. I was at the beach on Saturday (yes I braved my GR3 with sand!), really bright light, in Av mode, set to f8, min iso100 max iso3200. I tested the min shutter setting a lot. When I set it to 1000 min, every shot was 1000/3200. When I set it to 100 min, every shot was 100/3200. So what I don’t understand is why is the shutter speed hitting dead on the min settings and why is the iso hitting 3200 with ss100 on a really bright sunny day? I had it in highlight priority if that makes a difference?

Yes. Remove the max ISO and see what happens. You are blocking the camera operating by fixing minimum shutter, maximum ISO AND locking the f-stop manually. It's got nowhere else to go in bright light, like John Keiffer says

I presume the 100/3200 was very over-exposed. Was it giving an exposure warning?

What are you trying to achieve? If we knew that someone could recommend an ideal set-up.

-- hide signature --
 Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
OP HenryO12 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

HenryO12 wrote:

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

HenryO12 wrote:

Can someone explain this setting to me please. Is it minimum as in fastest or minimum as in smallest number?

When I use it, it doesn’t seem to be a minimum, all my shots are set to that speed. E.g. I set it 1000 all my shots are 1000. I set it to 100 all my shots are 100.

You should see the shutter speed go faster as light levels increase or as you open up the aperture, assuming you have locked ISO. What mode are you using?

Thanks, that’s interesting because this why I asked the question. I was at the beach on Saturday (yes I braved my GR3 with sand!), really bright light, in Av mode, set to f8, min iso100 max iso3200. I tested the min shutter setting a lot. When I set it to 1000 min, every shot was 1000/3200. When I set it to 100 min, every shot was 100/3200. So what I don’t understand is why is the shutter speed hitting dead on the min settings and why is the iso hitting 3200 with ss100 on a really bright sunny day? I had it in highlight priority if that makes a difference?

Yes. Remove the max ISO and see what happens. You are blocking the camera operating by fixing minimum shutter, maximum ISO AND locking the f-stop manually. It's got nowhere else to go in bright light, like John Keiffer says

I presume the 100/3200 was very over-exposed. Was it giving an exposure warning?

What are you trying to achieve? If we knew that someone could recommend an ideal set-up.

Thanks. I’m generally shooting my kids so I need a relatively quick shutter, no slower than 100 I wouldn’t have thought, as they never stop moving. Setting SS to 1000 was just a test really to see what happened. I set ap to F8 so that I can do snap focus at 2m and get most things in focus with a wide depth of field. I set max iso to 3200 to avoid noise. And then I set exposure to highlight weighted as I love the blacks and the dynamic range it produces.

So that was my basic reasoning. But appreciate it is a triangular balance!

John Keiffer Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

HenryO12 wrote:

Thanks. I’m generally shooting my kids so I need a relatively quick shutter, no slower than 100 I wouldn’t have thought, as they never stop moving. Setting SS to 1000 was just a test really to see what happened. I set ap to F8 so that I can do snap focus at 2m and get most things in focus with a wide depth of field. I set max iso to 3200 to avoid noise. And then I set exposure to highlight weighted as I love the blacks and the dynamic range it produces.

So that was my basic reasoning. But appreciate it is a triangular balance!

It's good to hear your reasoning, but I'd question some of them if I could...

Do you really need "everything" 2m and beyond in focus, or just your fast moving kid subjects? Maybe use a wider aperture for the right distance and not for depth.

Avoiding noise and choosing 3200 iso don't usually go together. I mean that's better than say 6400+, but lower numbers will have less noise. I think I know what you mean but...

Your reason for using 1/100th for the kids is fine.

-- hide signature --

John

 John Keiffer's gear list:John Keiffer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 300D Sony a6000
OP HenryO12 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting

John Keiffer wrote:

HenryO12 wrote:

Thanks. I’m generally shooting my kids so I need a relatively quick shutter, no slower than 100 I wouldn’t have thought, as they never stop moving. Setting SS to 1000 was just a test really to see what happened. I set ap to F8 so that I can do snap focus at 2m and get most things in focus with a wide depth of field. I set max iso to 3200 to avoid noise. And then I set exposure to highlight weighted as I love the blacks and the dynamic range it produces.

So that was my basic reasoning. But appreciate it is a triangular balance!

It's good to hear your reasoning, but I'd question some of them if I could...

Do you really need "everything" 2m and beyond in focus, or just your fast moving kid subjects? Maybe use a wider aperture for the right distance and not for depth.

Avoiding noise and choosing 3200 iso don't usually go together. I mean that's better than say 6400+, but lower numbers will have less noise. I think I know what you mean but...

Your reason for using 1/100th for the kids is fine.

Thank John,

Yes, I just need the kids in focus, although I'm not a huge fan of shallow DoF, but quite often I miss kids' focal point and things behind them are in focus, but not them. It's hard to find the sweet spot and I keep reading that f8 is the best for all round point and shoot/snap focus. Wider is definitely better with fast moving kids... as is faster SS.

I set 3200 as max iso. I agree that isn't the best for low noise, but at f8 you sometimes need it... and higher if you let the camera decide! Ideally I prefer slower 'film' speeds. When I set the GR to full auto in P mode, a lot of the shot are at 100 or 200 iso. But then it goes down to f2.8 and I miss focus because of the shallow DoF.

I guess it's a tricky balance when shooting fast moving subjects. I started the thread just because I was experimenting with settings at the weekend.

Any extra advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

John Keiffer Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: GR3 minimum shutter speed setting
1

What kind of lighting conditions are these? It doesn't feel like these shots are in the daytime, but I could be wrong. If these are indoor, then F8 is just not appropriate. I don't have a GR (whoops), so I don't know what the available snap focus distances are that you can choose from. It sounds like you are just hoping that things will be sharp. If your kids are usually at 2m, then that should be your distance, but if they aren't, then maybe a longer one would be better?

I would say it seems like you just don't have enough light for what you think the camera should be able to do.

Have you tried playing with a DOF calculator before? Here's the first one I found to try: https://www.photopills.com/calculators/dof

Try setting the aperture and subject distance to different options, and see how much more or less you can get in the focus area. An example of what I mean is is you shot at F8 and 2 meters, only get about 1.92m in focus, but at F2.8 and 4 meters you get 2.5m in focus. So your zone of focus is greater with those second numbers, but that doesn't help if you always shoot at 2m...

When street shooters use snap focus, it's from practice and knowing their subject distance. The aperture controls how much is in focus at a given distance. If you just need your kid in focus, then the stuff in the background is not needed so you don't need F8.

-- hide signature --

John

 John Keiffer's gear list:John Keiffer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 300D Sony a6000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads