Beginner in photography eos 70D camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Draziw1 New Member • Posts: 4
Beginner in photography eos 70D camera

Hey, im used to take computer science before but changed studies to mediatechnology. I have no experiene with cameras,photoshop,lightroom beforehand. Ive watched some tutorials but sadly i missed the first 2 weeks of uni cause i had an injury and had to stay at the hospital for 2 weeks. Ive just learned a few basics about the camera but one of my projects is taking a photo with:

Natural lights (no blitz, changed settings)

The photo should be taken with a reflector but i got none at the moment. So I guess a white wall background needs to be the solution?

The photo should be of trough a window to showcase the natural light

I need to take a "company photo portrait" in black or white background then use lightroom to make the background "even"? its what google translated it to. I Guess the background needs to be "clear" like not having visual intereference on the portrait.

Focal length has to be 50mm.

Ive been watching youtube videos, and googling since im so inexperienced but since im so far behind in this program im a little desperate. Ive catched up in all other programs in the study except photography with photoshop and lightroom. Ive never touched these programs before so its alot for a beginner. I only know how to use html, javascript, etc. But nothing about using media, i dont even have a instagram.

Any help would be highly appriciated.

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 8,108
Re: Beginner in photography eos 70D camera

Your reflector could be a large piece of white fabric or paper fixed to a piece of corrugated cardboard, plywood or any other large and flat surface. A large mirror is a bit more difficult to handle, but will give an interesting cross-light effect.

Polystyren insulation foam sheets/boards are highly reflective and very light, so they are easy to handle and very inexpensive.

Going for a black background is easier than white, as pure white is difficult to get without artificial light. Black fabric, paper or a black painted wall or board are possible candidates.

To make it easy on yourself, see if you can find a blonde model so the hair does not blend with the black background.

Google "corporate headshot" to see examples.

Good luck and good light.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
OP Draziw1 New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks alot for the tips, its the professor at uni that said it had to be white And dumb as i am i didnt know i could borrow everything, tripod, flash etc. Only pictures ive tried are with AV mode. But trying to read as much as I can. Do you know any decent tutorial on youtube thats beginner friendly?

And thanks again for good info!

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 8,108

Draziw1 wrote:

Thanks alot for the tips, its the professor at uni that said it had to be white And dumb as i am i didnt know i could borrow everything, tripod, flash etc. Only pictures ive tried are with AV mode. But trying to read as much as I can. Do you know any decent tutorial on youtube thats beginner friendly?

You're welcome.

I opened youtube.com and searched for "corporate headshot window light". I haven't watched any, but Peter Hurley is quite good and the others on the first page looked OK.

The Strobist's 101 - and 102 and 103 - is a great introdution to lighting in general and flash (blitz is German) in particular.

To get a fully white background you need to have more light on the background than on the subject, which will be a challenge with natural light, but not impossible. You may want to go a bit high on ISO, but 1600 should be acceptable.

You can choose a WB instead of AWB (Auto White Balance), or you can set a custom WB.

Good luck and good light.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
WongRQ Contributing Member • Posts: 664

Draziw1 wrote:

Ok the white background part involves logic.

If you exposed for the subject and the background is grey, then you need to increase the brightness of the background.

During my school’s group photoshoot, they had a large backdrop with 2 flashes pointed at it.

You could apply the same concept and literally overexposed the background. Who cares? They just want it to be white. Make sure your subject is exposed properly, though.

WongRQ's gear list:WongRQ's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
hobbit mob
hobbit mob Regular Member • Posts: 384

Draziw1 wrote:

Hey, im used to take computer science before but changed studies to mediatechnology. I have no experiene with cameras,photoshop,lightroom beforehand. Ive watched some tutorials but sadly i missed the first 2 weeks of uni cause i had an injury and had to stay at the hospital for 2 weeks. Ive just learned a few basics about the camera but one of my projects is taking a photo with:

Natural lights (no blitz, changed settings)

The photo should be taken with a reflector but i got none at the moment. So I guess a white wall background needs to be the solution?

The photo should be of trough a window to showcase the natural light

I need to take a "company photo portrait" in black or white background then use lightroom to make the background "even"? its what google translated it to. I Guess the background needs to be "clear" like not having visual intereference on the portrait.

Focal length has to be 50mm.

Ive been watching youtube videos, and googling since im so inexperienced but since im so far behind in this program im a little desperate. Ive catched up in all other programs in the study except photography with photoshop and lightroom. Ive never touched these programs before so its alot for a beginner. I only know how to use html, javascript, etc. But nothing about using media, i dont even have a instagram.

Any help would be highly appriciated.

So you need a corporate-style headshot using natural light, for example, through a window in a staircase?

This isn't quite as difficult as it seems, it just takes some planning.  You'll want to pick a time of day where direct sunlight (or a bright, cloudy day for slightly softer light) is coming through the window.  That's your light source.  You'll want a window that's perpendicular to a white wall, which is probably why your professor suggested a staircase.  The light just needs to hit your subject.  Corporate headshots are rarely "evenly lit" backgrounds, there's typically some vignetting of backdrop to draw attention to the center of the face.  I would imagine that your professor wants it "even" in the sense that lines from cinderblocks (if's it a painted cinder block stairwell) should be removed, or any other imperfections should be removed from the background to give it the illusion of a studio shot.  The lessons here are in lighting (a reflector would be used on the dark side of the face to make the shadows less harsh), framing for portraits (50mm in a stairwell will give you head and shoulders and not much wider), and post processing (cloning/healing the background to get smooth results).  For the post processing, you'll likely want to bring up your shadows and down your highlights.  Depending on the background, you might need to open up photoshop to remove hard lines from cinderblocks (multiple ways to do this, the easiest being the cloning/healing brush), and might need to use the blur tool to blur the background and even it out after the hard imperfections have been corrected.  If they truly want a corporate headshot with the appearance of using flashes/professional backdrops, then a post crop vignette (don't go crazy with this!) could be added.

Lightroom and Photoshop are two different beasts.  Lightroom I was able to learn independently by playing around with the sliders in develop mode.  Quick and easy edits to the general exposure/contrast/sharpness of an image.  I do most of my editing in Lightroom.  My workflow consists of edits (in order) to the "Lens Correction" (checking 'remove chromatic aberation and enable profile corrections boxes), "Detail" (setting my sharpening/noise reduction settings, dependent on camera/lens/ISO combo), and the "Basic" panel, where I adjust exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, clarity, etc.  Sometimes I'll use the tone curve, but not often, I'm sure other people swear by using almost exclusively the tone curve, but there's 1,000 ways to skin a cat.  Play around a little and see what works best for you.

Photoshop, I needed to watch tutorials just to figure out how to work inside of it.  Watch a few intro to photoshop videos on youtube that go over what the options/settings/buttons do and how to manipulate them.  Specifically for your project, learn how to use the "blur" tool, the "clone stamp" tool, and the "healing brush" tool.  learning the pen tool, or how to efficiently use the lasso/magnetic lasso tool has also been valuable to most edits that I have to do in photoshop (which aren't many, as I said, Lightroom takes care of most of my needs).

As for your camera settings - with 50mm (assuming you have a prime), you'll probably be tempted to open it up all the way for as much light as possible.  The trouble with doing this for headshots (especially as close as you'll be), is that it's very, very difficult to nail focus, and even if you do, wide open at f1.8, 1.4, 1.2, whatever the case is, most of the head will be out of focus.  I've found f/4 (full frame) to be a good mix of in focus/isolation for headshots.  So depending on your camera, f2.8-f4, 1/160+ shutter speed (unless you have a steady hand/tripod and a good, still model, then you can decrease this, but be careful going too low because you don't want to lose sharpness).  Your ISO ceiling will be dependent on your camera, but if you have something somewhat modern, you'll probably be ok up to 1600/3200 with proper sharpening/noise reduction.  Some cameras can do more, some aren't as good.  But even with my 5d mark iii from 2012, it didn't start to break down until after 1600, and was usable up to 3200 (6400 in some cases).  My 1dx iii is clean up to 12,800 and usable at 25,600 depending on the situation.  Just depends on what you are shooting with.

-- hide signature --

Accelerating Entropy

hobbit mob's gear list:hobbit mob's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more

Thank you alot buddy! Will watch it tonight, ill probably have to stay up all night to get it done due tomorrow

Lens

Wow thanks for all the replies with so detailed info. Im still learning the basics of the camera, but i have untill 24:00 today to finish it. Yeah your rigjht he wants us to edit it afterwards I feel so bad im so horrible ive only played with the camera on av with autofocus, even those pictures look horrible.

Anyway i googled translated it i dont know if it makes any sense but:

1 # Take a portrait using window lights Use a window as a large softbox to get evenly nice light on the model. Find a north-facing window or a window where the sun does NOT shine through the window.

2 # Take a portrait with the help of a reflector If it becomes difficult to borrow a reflector from the AV warehouse, you can try to use a natural reflector of one kind (White wall / Styrofoam / sheets) to complete the task. Write down what you have used as a reflector together with the other metadata values ​​in the PDF. 3

# Take "Company profile picture" of a fellow student With a solid color, white or gray background to use as a profile picture in canvas. Use photoshop / Lightroom to make the background smooth without disturbing elements. The picture must be taken at a focal length of at least 50mm. Remember to take a picture of a fellow student! (or self-portrait if it is difficult to complete with a fellow student).

implementation: - Do not take all the pictures in the same place, varies slightly in the background when you take a picture - Be good at using a reflector! It is important to understand how natural light behaves before we move on to flash use.

This is probably the most basic stuff ever but i missed the whole start cause of injury, and never in my life edited or taken a photo except a snapchat photo, lol.

Everything is new to me so, i know this sounds horrible. But ill upload some pics of the settings i think might be "ok" Its still dark here 05:51 am havent slept cause of this, but i have to go outside once the sun comes up and just keep trying. Posting pictures of settings, hope that some of them are "okey" i should have done some research about this bachelor program beforehand. Probably gonna fail photo and graphic design, but flow trough webdevelopment and programming and datatechnique, damn. I need to put in a lot of hours i tried doing a assignment in photoshop with mask layers and its so garbage. Need those 10 000 hours of effort to become mediocore lol.

https://ibb.co/8xQv1jb
https://ibb.co/yknWBzx
https://ibb.co/gz0dtJZ
https://ibb.co/LPV0bST
https://ibb.co/d6VGgMz
https://ibb.co/b5mc4YH

https://ibb.co/W0nxdwg

https://ibb.co/ckJXMJq

Something like this i still dont know all the functions so im gonna keep looking at youtube and linkedin but learning on linkedin is making me fall asleep, its like asmr or a sleep pill. I need to stay awake and focus. Thank you all for the help and detailed replies, ur awesome i feel bad for being so terrible

Then Iso around 800? but these modes TV,C,B,M etc i still need to figure out thats how bad i am

Edit: Ohh, i need to have the mode on M at least. Manual, well its progress.

Edit2: Damn its like a gazillion different things to do in these modes i just used the touch screen earlier, wish i had more time

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads