Train Trip Through Europe with Sony A7RIV - 12-24GM and 24-105G

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
AlbertDros
AlbertDros Regular Member • Posts: 366
Train Trip Through Europe with Sony A7RIV - 12-24GM and 24-105G

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well here I am back with a new photo series of a bunch of cities in Europe. I was recently invited by the European Commission to join the Connecting Europe Express train to promote train travel in Europe. The train was crossing almost every country in Europe (even though I was on it for 'only' 9 days.) It was a very busy but exciting trip. I decided to travel light and brought only my A7RIV with the 12-24GM and 24-105G lens. It was all I needed in the city.

https://www.albertdros.com/post/cee-traintrip-through-europe

Hope you like the photos and feel free to ask me anything in here!

some previews:

BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 4,225
Impressive!

You have quite the eye!  I'm very impressed.  How many of these shots were planned vs. improvised?

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +1 more
AlbertDros
OP AlbertDros Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: Impressive!

BrentSchumer wrote:

You have quite the eye! I'm very impressed. How many of these shots were planned vs. improvised?

Nothing was really planned, although of course waking up at 5AM to shoot a famous location at sunrise can be considered planning of course But for this project I only had a few hours in every city, so I had to really go in 'beast mode' to get my shots. If time allowed I would get up early morning which is the best time to take photos of the cities because there are no people on the streets, and the light is beautiful

Nishi Sharma Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Re: Train Trip Through Europe with Sony A7RIV - 12-24GM and 24-105G

Absolutely stunning images. Brilliant photography. I can see you chose the right time of the day to photography these. Very impressed.

BTW, which lens did you find more useful out of the two?

grsnovi
grsnovi Senior Member • Posts: 1,803

Albert! These very images show-up in my FB a couple of times per week because I've followed you there. You have a truly impressive track record (OK, cheap pun on your European Rail trip).

Keep up the good work and I'll keep being impressed.

I need to get out of the house. Fear of COVID is getting old. Actually, I've been waiting for some rain so I can visit some wetlands (that haven't been wet for months) to exercise the a7Riii that I purchased earlier this year.

grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony SLT-A65 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +7 more
yodog
yodog Senior Member • Posts: 1,896

Wonderful images.  I love the warm light in the city shots.  Your images from your collection "Magical Spring in the Netherlands" are absolutely stunning.  I will defintely be bookmarking your site to explore more of your images. Congratulations on taking such great images to document your trip by rail.

Mike

-- hide signature --

You can't buy love, but you can rescue it.

yodog's gear list:yodog's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 +21 more
dka91 Senior Member • Posts: 1,332

Absolutely gorgeous!

dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 DG DN
AlbertDros

Nishi Sharma wrote:

Absolutely stunning images. Brilliant photography. I can see you chose the right time of the day to photography these. Very impressed.

BTW, which lens did you find more useful out of the two?

Thank you. I think they are very equal in the city. Most street shots I used the 24-105, but for the 'main' buildings with spectacular clouds and light, the 12-24GM is king

AlbertDros

grsnovi wrote:

Albert! These very images show-up in my FB a couple of times per week because I've followed you there. You have a truly impressive track record (OK, cheap pun on your European Rail trip).

Keep up the good work and I'll keep being impressed.

I need to get out of the house. Fear of COVID is getting old. Actually, I've been waiting for some rain so I can visit some wetlands (that haven't been wet for months) to exercise the a7Riii that I purchased earlier this year.

Thank you very much! Haha, I like the joke And yeah, push yourself to go out and shoot. You really never know what you come across. Sometimes you can take the best shots when you least expect it.

AlbertDros

yodog wrote:

Wonderful images. I love the warm light in the city shots. Your images from your collection "Magical Spring in the Netherlands" are absolutely stunning. I will defintely be bookmarking your site to explore more of your images. Congratulations on taking such great images to document your trip by rail.

Mike

thanks Mike!

DmitryA7III Regular Member • Posts: 208

Absolutely stunning series of some stunning European places!! The train itself looks fantastic!!

DmitryA7III's gear list:DmitryA7III's gear list
Sony a7 III
AlbertDros

DmitryA7III wrote:

Absolutely stunning series of some stunning European places!! The train itself looks fantastic!!

Thanks! And yes the train was really nice as well. Very comfy

4Photos Regular Member • Posts: 409
Great !!!

You managed to find interesting foregrounds for the wide-angle shots, which is no easy feat! Well done! Greetings from Berlin

Nishi Sharma Contributing Member • Posts: 742

Hi Albert
A lot of ultra-wide lenses have their front element bulging, which makes it harder to have a filter in front. How do you protect the front element of your 12-24mm lens?

silentstorm Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Gorgeous! One question...

How did you shoot a 2 sec image inside of a moving train and still looks sharp?  Referring to the last shot.

Always enjoyed your images!  Very inspiring!  Thank you!

Bassman2003 Senior Member • Posts: 1,701

Awesome shots!

AlbertDros
Re: Gorgeous! One question...

silentstorm wrote:

How did you shoot a 2 sec image inside of a moving train and still looks sharp? Referring to the last shot.

Always enjoyed your images! Very inspiring! Thank you!

what do you mean exactly? The train is moving but I am moving with it. So the inside is sharp. Just the outside are light trails

AlbertDros

Nishi Sharma wrote:

Hi Albert
A lot of ultra-wide lenses have their front element bulging, which makes it harder to have a filter in front. How do you protect the front element of your 12-24mm lens?

Honestly I never use protecting filters on any lens. I feel that decreased the quality of the images.

silentstorm Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Re: Gorgeous! One question...

AlbertDros wrote:

silentstorm wrote:

How did you shoot a 2 sec image inside of a moving train and still looks sharp? Referring to the last shot.

Always enjoyed your images! Very inspiring! Thank you!

what do you mean exactly? The train is moving but I am moving with it. So the inside is sharp. Just the outside are light trails

I mean regardless if the camera was handheld or on tripod, for a 2 sec shot, there's bound to be vibrations from the train.  So how did you do it?

Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 5,094

Nice composition and rendering.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads