LP-E6 not working on 7D Mark II.

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Joel0ZS
Joel0ZS New Member • Posts: 18
LP-E6 not working on 7D Mark II.

So, today I was photographing with my 7D Mark II and BG-E16. My genuine LP-E6N battery was working fine, but it ran out of power. So, my camera started to use my genuine LP-E6 battery, and when I tried to take photos, the camera turned off, top screen showing the battery is empty. I tried to turn my camera back on, and it shows that the battery has 75 % of charge, condition is 2/3. It works fine otherwise, but whenever I try to take photos, the camera turns off saying '' no battery''. The camera says there is 75 % of the battery left, and it doesn't change. The battery I have problems with is genuine LP-E6, manufactured in 2013. Do I really need to spend 60 € on a new battery? I don't have a lot of spare money because I am a student.

Thanks for answering!

-- hide signature --

Joel Karnio

Joel0ZS's gear list:Joel0ZS's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rmexpress22 Senior Member • Posts: 2,032
Re: LP-E6 not working on 7D Mark II.

Try without the grip and see if that makes any difference. Seems like the battery is old and doesn't provide enough voltage any longer. You can but cheap third-party batteries that work okay.

Granted, the R5 is more power-hungry but my LP-E6 batteries are barely usable in it since they die to quick.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 +21 more
Joel0ZS
OP Joel0ZS New Member • Posts: 18

Thanks. I would try without the battery grip but I have lost the battery cover so I can't use it without the battery grip.

-- hide signature --

Joel Karnio

Joel0ZS's gear list:Joel0ZS's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +5 more
Ray UK Contributing Member • Posts: 846

Joel0ZS wrote:

Thanks. I would try without the battery grip but I have lost the battery cover so I can't use it without the battery grip.

Did you not store the battery cover in the recess of the upstand on the battery grip as you are supposed to ?

PhotosFlight Regular Member • Posts: 108

2013? Honestly, I'd be happy to have a battery that lasted five years.  Like a car battery, they don't last forever and eventually they have to be replaced.

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,450

Joel0ZS wrote:

So, today I was photographing with my 7D Mark II and BG-E16. My genuine LP-E6N battery was working fine, but it ran out of power. So, my camera started to use my genuine LP-E6 battery, and when I tried to take photos, the camera turned off, top screen showing the battery is empty. I tried to turn my camera back on, and it shows that the battery has 75 % of charge, condition is 2/3. It works fine otherwise, but whenever I try to take photos, the camera turns off saying '' no battery''. The camera says there is 75 % of the battery left, and it doesn't change. The battery I have problems with is genuine LP-E6, manufactured in 2013. Do I really need to spend 60 € on a new battery? I don't have a lot of spare money because I am a student.

Thanks for answering!

You need to spend SOMETHING on a new battery.  It is now 8 years old.  I've had very good luck with Sterling Tek LP-E6 equivalent batteries.  The battery life is not noticeably different than Canon batteries, but at 1/4 of the cost.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads