back button focusing query

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Tomlittle22 New Member • Posts: 5
back button focusing query

Hi All, using an R5, setting up back button focussing I find that if I set shutter butt. half press to metering start, it still autofocuses. The back button autofocus customisations still work fine also. What this means is that I always have three focussing modes at my disposal, so that's great. It just makes me curious when people describe how to set up back button focusing: they always say setting to metering start (or metering lock) removes autofocus from the shutter button- this seems not to be the case. Can someone confirm this? It also means there is very little difference between shutter butt. half press set to metering start or set to metering/AF start. Am I missing something?

Just a further note on the difference between shutter butt. half press set to metering start versus set to metering/AF start. If in metering start, I cannot use Q to set the shutter button to face/eye detection when face/eye detection is assigned to the AF-on button. But if I set shutter butt half press to metering plus AF, I can still fully cutomise the shutter button AND the back button focusing continues to work fine.

Any thoughts appreciated

ANSWER:
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,664
Re: back button focusing query

You have to go into your custom settings and set the shutter button for metering only for that use case.  It doesn’t happen automatically when you set up back button focus.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
OP Tomlittle22 New Member • Posts: 5

Hi, thanks for the answer! I am still a bit miffed though.  If I set it as you suggest, half depressing the shutter still leads to focussing, and a totally normal shot, as far as I can tell.  And the back button focussing is fine.  Thats not a problem, but I guess I don't understand what metering only really means.  On the flip side, if I set the shutter to metering + focus, the back button operations still seem to work fine.  Also not a problem, but I just don't understand what is happening

Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,148

Tomlittle22 wrote:

Hi All, using an R5, setting up back button focussing I find that if I set shutter butt. half press to metering start, it still autofocuses. The back button autofocus customisations still work fine also. What this means is that I always have three focussing modes at my disposal, so that's great. It just makes me curious when people describe how to set up back button focusing: they always say setting to metering start (or metering lock) removes autofocus from the shutter button- this seems not to be the case. Can someone confirm this? It also means there is very little difference between shutter butt. half press set to metering start or set to metering/AF start. Am I missing something?

Just a further note on the difference between shutter butt. half press set to metering start versus set to metering/AF start. If in metering start, I cannot use Q to set the shutter button to face/eye detection when face/eye detection is assigned to the AF-on button. But if I set shutter butt half press to metering plus AF, I can still fully cutomise the shutter button AND the back button focusing continues to work fine.

Any thoughts appreciated

It sounds like you didn't change the Shutter Button (in the Custom Functions (orange) Menu tab 3) to be Metering Start only.

I think what you want is dual back button focus.

Jans Wegener has a great video going step by step on how to set up the R5 for back-button focus with both AI-Servo Spot focus and Eye-Tracking to both be supported with two buttons on the back of the camera (see link below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnRqgXu7QI&t=458s

The beauty of this setup is that you can go back and forth at will and if one is not working for you, then use the other.

I highly recommend going through this video with your camera and following it set but step while starting and stopping the video as you go.  You can, of course, change the subject matter to be people rather than animals.  I also changed the "AF Point Selection"  button (the one to the right of the * button) to be the Exposure Lock (the default function of the * button) because I never use the AF point selection and may want to exposure lock.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more

Great video, with lots of tips.

But, at 12:25 he sets the shutter button to metering start and says that now the shutter button will not focus. When I do this, and I do it exactly as he describes, my shutter button still focusses. He says setting to metering start takes away focus from the shutter button, but later he calls this "pre-focus".  So I guess that sort of clears it up, I just find the wording a bit unclear.

Also, I can achieve exactly the same by choosing metering start plus AF, so I still don't see any real difference between metering start and metering+AF, because both modes focus (or pre-focus, if you like).  It would be great if some one tried these combinations on their R5, just to see if I am losing my mind or being thick!

Cheers,  Tom

Solved! Was doing something silly.  Thanks for the input!

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,148

Tomlittle22 wrote:

Solved! Was doing something silly. Thanks for the input!

What silly thing did you do? It might help the next person.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads