Fishing vest: Threat, Menace, or...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Fishing vest: Threat, Menace, or...

Opportunity?

Years ago I got a nice fishing vest to use hauling some 35mm photographic equipment around on vacation. Shortly after that the first digital cameras with zoom got really good. Vest (like new) & film cameras (used in good condition) both went into a closet.

A few days ago, grumbling over hiking with a camera bag of MFT gear, inspiration struck. A body-capped MFT camera & 2 or 3 lenses, plus batteries would fit in my old vest. 14mm to 300mm (28-600 FFe*) covered with no bag? In addition, it was a cool, damp, windy morning in the salt marsh. Another layer would be just fine.

My only regret? The game pouch on the back was hard to reach. First world problem.

*Full-frame equivalent. My 135-format gear at best covered 35-210mm, but at the time I was at 35-100mm. One MFT zoom lens now covers 28-84mm FFe.

Jack Tingle's gear list:Jack Tingle's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,692
Re: Fishing vest: Threat, Menace, or...

A thin gillet with lots of pockets? Very useful!

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,187
Re: Fishing vest: Threat, Menace, or...

For some reasons I usually prefer a proper bag (not a padded camera bag) for my traveling.

However a few years ago I visited Persepolis, no bag was allowed. In order not to miss the shooting opportunity of such life of the time visit (not sure would/could I visit there again), I hung GX7 with 12-35 f/2.8 over my neck, and tried every possible way to squeeze 7-14 f/4 and 45-150 f/4-5.6 inside my jacket pockets (although it is an ultra thin Gore Tex jacket, never comfit wearing it to walk under 30℃ sun for hours) together with the passport and wallet... You can imagine how difficult I was...

Back home, I looked for multi pockets vast which can carry 2~3 M43 lenses. Now I have two, one is making of mostly mesh fabric for very warm weather and one for the cooler regions... They are my standard traveling clothing (except for the very cold regions) since then.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads