Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Started 3 months ago | Photos
Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Santorini Afterglow (Today)
31

Finally. I'm here to realise a dream. Stunning island.

Took a bunch of shots in different directions. The colours changed as time went on.

XF16/1.4 + Black Pro-Mist 1/4

Village clings precariously on the rim of the caldera

All establishments with views of the caldera are very expensive. Santorini is an expensive destination.

Santorini is all about the sunset but I rather like the post-sunset glow.

 Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T20 +9 more
dmaclau Veteran Member • Posts: 3,031
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Lovely images.  Question: Black pro Mist...is that the filter or the software?

-- hide signature --

absolute power corrupts...absolutely

 dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
GreatOceanSoftware
GreatOceanSoftware Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Porquinho wrote:

Finally. I'm here to realise a dream. Stunning island.

Took a bunch of shots in different directions. The colours changed as time went on.

XF16/1.4 + Black Pro-Mist 1/4

Village clings precariously on the rim of the caldera

All establishments with views of the caldera are very expensive. Santorini is an expensive destination.

Santorini is all about the sunset but I rather like the post-sunset glow.

+Love

-- hide signature --

Randy

 GreatOceanSoftware's gear list:GreatOceanSoftware's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +5 more
pylorus21 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Very pleasing images..

OP Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Black pro-mist

They are specialised filters made by Tiffen (and also some other brands). They come in several strengths, i.e. 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 2 etc.

Tiffen says they:

  • Reduces Highlights and Lowers Contrast
  • Softens Wrinkles and Blemishes
  • Creates a Soft Quality of Light
  • ColorCore Technolog

https://tiffen.com/products/black-pro-mist-filter

 Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T20 +9 more
OP Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)
1

Thanks, GOS!

You'd love Santorini, too.

 Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T20 +9 more
OP Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Thanks, Pylorus21.

Santorini is every photographer's dream!

 Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T20 +9 more
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,116
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

It’s a fantastic island and you chose the best season to visit it (September)! Nice photos!

 Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
OP Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)
3

Yannis1976 wrote:

It’s a fantastic island and you chose the best season to visit it (September)! Nice photos!

I had wanted to ask for your suggestions on lenses for Santorini but never got around to it.

I have no zooms. The 16/1.4 for landscape and tight spaces, the only wide lens I have. Works out well so far.

Also have my new 35/1.2 with me but quickly found out it's really cumbersome to change lenses all the time. Looks like I need to research a second small body.

The 70-300 got delivered to my neighbours on my second day in Greece. Would have been nice to have this zoom for Santorini.

Anyway, the new zoom is for next time.

Thank you, Yannis!

Check out the old Fuji logo! Never see it in "the West" any more.

Simple and recognisable

 Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T20 +9 more
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,116
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Porquinho wrote:

Yannis1976 wrote:

It’s a fantastic island and you chose the best season to visit it (September)! Nice photos!

I had wanted to ask for your suggestions on lenses for Santorini but never got around to it.

I have no zooms. The 16/1.4 for landscape and tight spaces, the only wide lens I have. Works out well so far.

Yes, I would highly suggest a wide lens for a Greek island. Lots of villages and landscapes to capture. You did well you brought this.

Also have my new 35/1.2 with me but quickly found out it's really cumbersome to change lenses all the time. Looks like I need to research a second small body.

OR what I am doing is that I use one lens for a couple of hours and then change to another one. Yes I may be missing some opportunities, but I remove the stress or changing lenses. For example while hiking, I go one route with one lens and the return with the other.

The 70-300 got delivered to my neighbours on my second day in Greece. Would have been nice to have this zoom for Santorini.

Not sure the 70-300 would be of much use. Maybe for that fantastic sunset or some seagulls... I would still get a normal zoom like the 16-80 or at least the 35/1.4 or 35/2.

Anyway, the new zoom is for next time.

Thank you, Yannis!

Check out the old Fuji logo! Never see it in "the West" any more.

Simple and recognisable

Hahaha... there are many places in Greece where time has stopped

 Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
dmaclau Veteran Member • Posts: 3,031
Re: Black pro-mist

Porquinho wrote:

They are specialised filters made by Tiffen (and also some other brands). They come in several strengths, i.e. 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 2 etc.

Tiffen says they:

  • Reduces Highlights and Lowers Contrast
  • Softens Wrinkles and Blemishes
  • Creates a Soft Quality of Light
  • ColorCore Technolog

https://tiffen.com/products/black-pro-mist-filter

Thank you.  They also make (or made) a software packager that emulates most of their filters digitally.  Not easy software to use

-- hide signature --

absolute power corrupts...absolutely

 dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Heinz Senior Member • Posts: 1,838
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Nice set. But honestly i think for this kind of images the bpm can be rather counterproductive.

 Heinz's gear list:Heinz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3
OP Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Yannis1976 wrote:

OR what I am doing is that I use one lens for a couple of hours and then change to another one. Yes I may be missing some opportunities, but I remove the stress or changing lenses. For example while hiking, I go one route with one lens and the return with the other.

I do this, too. But this time I find it hard to resist the wide angle shots so I leave the 16mm on almost all the time. Tonight I sat still for a couple of hours for the sunset in Oia and tried to use the 35 a bit. It's easier when I am not constantly on the move and seeing new opportunities for wide shots.

Not sure the 70-300 would be of much use. Maybe for that fantastic sunset or some seagulls... I would still get a normal zoom like the 16-80 or at least the 35/1.4 or 35/2.

I had to use my X30 for some closer shots of the windmills in Oia tonight. Also tired the 35mm. I thought with a longer zoom I could get shots of blue domes from an elevated spot somewhere with a water backdrop and without people who are always blocking the views.

Hahaha... there are many places in Greece where time has stopped

One of the reasons I love Greece!

 Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X30 Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T20 +9 more
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,116
Re: Santorini Afterglow (Today)

Porquinho wrote:

Yannis1976 wrote:

OR what I am doing is that I use one lens for a couple of hours and then change to another one. Yes I may be missing some opportunities, but I remove the stress or changing lenses. For example while hiking, I go one route with one lens and the return with the other.

I do this, too. But this time I find it hard to resist the wide angle shots so I leave the 16mm on almost all the time. Tonight I sat still for a couple of hours for the sunset in Oia and tried to use the 35 a bit. It's easier when I am not constantly on the move and seeing new opportunities for wide shots.

Not sure the 70-300 would be of much use. Maybe for that fantastic sunset or some seagulls... I would still get a normal zoom like the 16-80 or at least the 35/1.4 or 35/2.

I had to use my X30 for some closer shots of the windmills in Oia tonight. Also tired the 35mm. I thought with a longer zoom I could get shots of blue domes from an elevated spot somewhere with a water backdrop and without people who are always blocking the views.

Hahaha... there are many places in Greece where time has stopped

One of the reasons I love Greece!

Since you enjoyed Santorini, next stop could be Folegandros or if you don't mind traveling for long Amorgos (my favorite)

-

 Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads