Can I Set a Second Focus Area on the RX 10 IV

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Mark in Tampa Forum Member • Posts: 92
Can I Set a Second Focus Area on the RX 10 IV

I've been using my A9 for the past few years but now have a back issue so wanted to lighten my load and go back to my RX 10 IV.  I would like to set a second focus area on my center button within the control wheel.  I want to keep WIDE as my default for the shutter button (I'm not using back-button focus) but want the center button to be expandable spot small.  So let's say I'm taking shots of birds in flight.  I'm using WIDE but then a bird perches within some foliage and I want to switch quickly to the expandable spot small on the center button.  How do I do that?

Thanks.

Mark in Tampa's gear list:Mark in Tampa's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Mark in Tampa Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: Can I Set a Second Focus Area on the RX 10 IV

I watched the Mark Smith A9 set up video to figure it out myself.  For those interested, with the TX10 IV, you first register a focus area.  I did that for Expandable Spot Small.  So you choose that focus area and then press the Fn button until it says the focus area is registered.  Then I went into Custom Keys and and went to the AEL Button.  (I changed my mind from the center button of the Control Wheel).  I then went through the 19 pages of possibilities and chose Registered AF Area hold.  Now, when I press the AEL button, it switches to the Expandable Spot Small.  When I release my finger from the button, it reverts to my default focus area, usually set at WIDE for birds in flight.

Mark in Tampa's gear list:Mark in Tampa's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
canuck dave
canuck dave Veteran Member • Posts: 3,182

Mark in Tampa wrote:

I watched the Mark Smith A9 set up video to figure it out myself. For those interested, with the TX10 IV, you first register a focus area. I did that for Expandable Spot Small. So you choose that focus area and then press the Fn button until it says the focus area is registered. Then I went into Custom Keys and and went to the AEL Button. (I changed my mind from the center button of the Control Wheel). I then went through the 19 pages of possibilities and chose Registered AF Area hold. Now, when I press the AEL button, it switches to the Expandable Spot Small. When I release my finger from the button, it reverts to my default focus area, usually set at WIDE for birds in flight.

Very clever, Mark (and Mark Smith). I might try that.

Right now, with my RX10 IV I shoot mainly in 'Center', and when I'm shooting BIF (or aircraft) I go to Fn>focus area> 'Wide'. I can do this in less than 10 seconds, not as fast as your setup!

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,970

Mark in Tampa wrote:

I watched the Mark Smith A9 set up video to figure it out myself. For those interested, with the TX10 IV, you first register a focus area. I did that for Expandable Spot Small. So you choose that focus area and then press the Fn button until it says the focus area is registered. Then I went into Custom Keys and and went to the AEL Button. (I changed my mind from the center button of the Control Wheel). I then went through the 19 pages of possibilities and chose Registered AF Area hold. Now, when I press the AEL button, it switches to the Expandable Spot Small. When I release my finger from the button, it reverts to my default focus area, usually set at WIDE for birds in flight.

Interesting solution.

I do the opposite in that I have set up the camera to register my birds in flight with area AF and mapped it to the focus zoom button on the side of the lens. Then whatever set up I am using for static birds, macros or just travel pictures. If a bird flies over I can be on it and focussed in a second. When I let go of the button back to my normal settings.

I tried this recently at the Hawk Conservancy trust near Andover UK and found no strain at all with holding down the button even with a whole day of birds in flight. Great keeper rate too.

Hope this helps the OP.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Brandon.
Olympus EM1mIII, EM10 mII, Sony RX10 M4, RX100 M7
Nikon V1,V3, D500, D810
FlickR Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/

Brandon birder's gear list:Brandon birder's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads