90D focus bracketing with 3rd party lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Sandhurst Junior Member • Posts: 47
90D focus bracketing with 3rd party lenses?

Has anyone any experience at focus bracketing with 3rd party lenses like the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm macro lenses?

Just wondered if the feature worked as only Canon lenses were included on the compatability chart Canon released.

It would be great if the feature worked on 3rd party lenses as not everyone has the budget for Canon's 100mm IS macro lens.

TIA for your assistance and contribution.

Sandhurst's gear list:Sandhurst's gear list
Canon 18-55 F4-5.6 IS STM
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 4,117
Re: 90D focus bracketing with 3rd party lenses?

Hello...

Sandhurst wrote:

Has anyone any experience at focus bracketing with 3rd party lenses like the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm macro lenses?

I have a few Sigma lens that works on my 7D and various digitals.

Just wondered if the feature worked as only Canon lenses were included on the compatability chart Canon released.

It would be great if the feature worked on 3rd party lenses as not everyone has the budget for Canon's 100mm IS macro lens.

If you save up for it - a great lens. IMHO 

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
Analog4Ever Regular Member • Posts: 139

Why would this be a problem?  You use Spot focus, start close and take as many as you need to cover the subject.  YouTube is your friend.

-- hide signature --

“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept"

Analog4Ever's gear list:Analog4Ever's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +6 more
Andy01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,642

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

Sandhurst wrote:

I have a few Sigma lens that works on my 7D and various digitals.

I didn't know that an old 7D could do automatic focus bracketing ? AFAIK the 90D is one of (if not) the only Canon APS-C DSLRs that does focus bracketing - 70D & 80D certainly didn't.

If you save up for it - a great lens. IMHO

Agreed - a good lens. I bought mine second hand (pristine condition, box, pouch & hood included, 3 years old) in Australia last year for the equivalent of US$350, so not that costly if the OP looks around for a good second hand one.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more

Andy01 wrote:

I didn't know that an old 7D could do automatic focus bracketing ? AFAIK the 90D is one of (if not) the only Canon APS-C DSLRs that does focus bracketing - 70D & 80D certainly didn't.

Colin

I just took delivery on a 90D and didn't know this.  I've only done it manually.  Now I understand the OP's question.  Thanks Andy.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +6 more
OP Sandhurst Junior Member • Posts: 47

Thanks for the responses so far, but the question was really about whether the specific function of focus bracketing on the 90D worked on 3rd party lenses.

I know the Canon 100mm IS lens is great, but I'm not willing to pay for it. The Sigma 105mm OS is also excellent and within my budget at a third of the cost of the Canon version. I'd just like to know if focus bracketing works with this or say a Tamron macro lens.

Hopefully someone here has both a 90D and a third party macro lens.

Third party not supported. Here's list printed on the screen, and a tutorial if you want.

https://youtu.be/cLJf1MG1O54?t=633

I just got mine and didn't know about this.

-- hide signature --

Thanks. I'll check that out now.

There are work arounds though. There's a device called the CamFi CF102 that can perform this function and it works on all lenses.

You've got a good lens for macro. The 18-55 f4-5.6 can be extended to almost full size.

Close Focus Specified Min Focus Distance 9.84” (250mm) Tested

Min Focus Distance (Wide / Long) 8.58” / 9.02” (218mm / 229mm)

Maximum Magnification (MM) 0.25x

Magnification Range with 12mm Ext Tube 0.55-0.23x

Magnification Range with 25mm Ext Tube 0.91-0.51x

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=1112

It's just not automatic.

The 100mm is expensive but you can get the 18-135 UM Nano from MPB for under $300.

The 18-135 USM's magnification range numbers with the Canon EF 12mm Extension Tube II in place are 0.43-0.09x and 0.61-0.21x with the Canon EF 25mm Extension Tube II in place.

I'm glad you asked this question because I learned something about my new camera.

-- hide signature --

Cliffo6 New Member • Posts: 9

I had no problem using focus bracketing with the 90D and Sigma 105 mm Macro.

Cliffo6 wrote:

I had no problem using focus bracketing with the 90D and Sigma 105 mm Macro.

Thanks very much for letting me know

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads