Getting eyes sharp quickly, moving model, camera w/o eye detection

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
river251
river251 Regular Member • Posts: 460
Getting eyes sharp quickly, moving model, camera w/o eye detection

What techniques and settings help you get eyes in focus fast while shooting a model who is moving moderately?  Assume a camera without eye detection (Nikon D850)?

Thanks...

scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,570
Re: Getting eyes sharp quickly, moving model, camera w/o eye detection

river251 wrote:

What techniques and settings help you get eyes in focus fast while shooting a model who is moving moderately? Assume a camera without eye detection (Nikon D850)?

Thanks...

I would try AF-C Group AF with the cluster on the head/face.  Also if the whole body is within the depth of field you could also use AF-C D9 as it would be difficult to track head/face with AF-C single point depending on how fast they are moving.  Unless the depth of field is razor thin this should be a relatively easy task in either mode.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Krav Maga
Krav Maga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,650

river251 wrote:

What techniques and settings help you get eyes in focus fast while shooting a model who is moving moderately? Assume a camera without eye detection (Nikon D850)?

Thanks...

Try using back button focus with continuous servo AF. That's what I did with my D750 before I started using a camera with eye AF.

-- hide signature --

Take photos that you love, and don't listen to anyone else --Peter Coulson.
https://www.danielmedley.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/danlmedley/

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony a7R IV Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 8,081

river251 wrote:

Thanks...

Strobes and f/11

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
river251
OP river251 Regular Member • Posts: 460

Klaus. In between the strobes is the studio dark? If so how does that affect how you work with the model? Or do you keep a modeling light on? Thank you.

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 8,081

As you write, strobes have model lights. They are lit as long as we shoot (I toggle model lights from the on-camera controller), but while the strobe recharges they are off. In my case that's about 1/4 second.

Either the room lights are on, or I shoot in the living room with window light, so it's never completely dark in the studio. I have exposure simulation turned off, so the viewfinder never goes dark.

The ambient must not affect exposure. If I'm in doubt, I turn off the controller and take a shot by the ambient light only. If the picture is very close to black, everything is OK.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
river251

Thank you, Klaus. Very instructive.

Jim

river251

Glad to hear that. The D850 has face detection, have you used face detection? I gather from your post that is not needed. I am just talking about the model moving around in different positions, not a lot of movement compared to sports.

Jim

river251

Krav Maga wrote:

river251 wrote:

Thanks...

Try using back button focus with continuous servo AF. That's what I did with my D750 before I started using a camera with eye AF.

Were you using a single point?

Krav Maga
Krav Maga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,650

river251 wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

river251 wrote:

Thanks...

Were you using a single point?

Yes, single point.

I typically shoot a little wider than Klaus; generally f8. It definitely helps. And, like Klaus, I shoot with a modeling light on to help the camera's focusing system. 
I almost always have my models constantly drift and move, rarely static. And having it set up that way worked pretty well. Not as convenient at the tracking auto AF on my current camera, but certainly good enough.

-- hide signature --

Take photos that you love, and don't listen to anyone else --Peter Coulson.
https://www.danielmedley.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/danlmedley/

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony a7R IV Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads