1Dx Mark II vs III for theatre and headshots...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Scooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,515
1Dx Mark II vs III for theatre and headshots...

I've been shooting a 1d Mark IV now since it came out and it's been a hell of a great camera, really has done everything I could ever wish for but it's definitely time to upgrade... the deals on the 1Dx Mark II are great nowadays but I came into a little extra money...

If I have really little interest in video, is there really any reason for natural light headshots and lots of dark theatre shooting that would give the III an edge over the II?  I'd love any thoughts here.  The newest toy is very appealing but it sounds like image quality wise there isn't a huge leap in difference and the extra 4 grand would be silly to spend for my needs.

Thanks for any comments!
yer pal,

Scooter

-- hide signature --

I'm Scooter, and I approve of this message.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ffabrici Senior Member • Posts: 1,221
Re: 1Dx Mark II vs III for theatre and headshots...

I have 1DX II, 5D IV and R5 as a reference.

IDX III has much improved eye AF in live view and video and while I don't think you would be able to spot the difference between the two on still pictures, the 1DX III has much improved video capabilities:

CANON 1DX III’S video features:

• 12-Bit RAW 5.5K (5472 x 2886) Full Frame Video @ up to 60fps [1800 to 2600 Mb/s]
  • MP4/H.265 10-Bit 4:2:2 DCI 4K up to 60fps [170 to 1000 Mb/s]
  • MP4/H.264 4:2:0 8-Bit DCI 4K up to 60fps [120 to 940 Mb/s]
  • Full HD @ up to 120fps in H.265/H.264 [18 to 470 Mb/s]
  • Canon Log Gamma
OP Scooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,515

Thank you!  I very much appreciate the response.  If I end up getting the III, maybe I'll start to do more video... who knows.

But yeah, it sounds like for still photography, I'd be just fine with the II.

-- hide signature --

Sage Senior Member • Posts: 2,540

I would compare images made by each camera using The Imaging Resource's image comparison tool. I noticed the 1DXM2 retains detail in the color red much better than the 1DXM3. Good luck with your decision.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Sage's gear list:Sage's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +23 more
tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,256

I owned a 1Dx along with 1Ds3 for a couple of years before replacing them with a couple 5DIV's. I have only played with video but make my living shooting Commercial projects. I miss the 1 Series bodies and may buy a clean 1DxII in the near future, at about $2500 it seems to be a better deal since it's essentially a dead system. Otherwise, I'd buy an R5 and adapter to utilize your EF lenses.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,047

My 1DX Mark III is my A camera and my 1DX is my B camera (I use them both during basketball games). Honestly, for what I do I haven't found anything exceptional about the 1DX Mark III over the 1DX. It's nice to have visible focus points in the viewfinder again instead of the dim gray boxes the 1DX has. The CF Express cards are insanely fast. The new AF point selector control is utterly useless.

You might find the head/face tracking in the viewfinder useful. It works in ideal conditions but for me, it takes too long to find a face, it's too easily fooled by other faces, and the sad fact is that it doesn't necessarily focus on faces or heads. All it really does is activate focus points where it thinks a face or head is but if it's obscured by a net or a fence or even a tree branch it's possible that it will focus on that instead. I can identify and track a face faster and more reliably.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +16 more

This is great info... I have to be honest, this surprised me! "The new AF point selector control is utterly useless."
It looks like a heck of a cool feature so this is very good to hear before making such an expensive plunge.  I'm CONSTANTLY moving focal points manually... obsessively and that feature seemed like it would be really handy.  But sticking with the two dials to move them around isn't that big a deal to me.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Awesome, thank you!

-- hide signature --

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,047

Scooter wrote:

This is great info... I have to be honest, this surprised me! "The new AF point selector control is utterly useless."
It looks like a heck of a cool feature so this is very good to hear before making such an expensive plunge. I'm CONSTANTLY moving focal points manually... obsessively and that feature seemed like it would be really handy. But sticking with the two dials to move them around isn't that big a deal to me.

The problem is simple: every time I press the damn thing to start the focus, the focus point moves to some random place. Every single time! There doesn't appear to be any way for me to press the button without the focus point moving first. So I disabled it.

I use the joystick instead.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads