Leica SL+Leica lenses vs.Canon 6DII+Canon L & Zeiss lenses

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Modlin New Member • Posts: 4
Leica SL+Leica lenses vs.Canon 6DII+Canon L & Zeiss lenses

Hi,

I am using Canon+Zeiss eq. as per subject line.

Have been lurking around Leica eq.(SL2+Leica lenses L and M mounts), which is expensive comparing to my Zeiss or Canon L lenses.

Although I can still afford it, but question for me is : will I get a noticeable image quality for that extra $$$ ?

Thanks

Modlin's gear list:Modlin's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,871
Re: Leica SL+Leica lenses vs.Canon 6DII+Canon L & Zeiss lenses

Modlin wrote:

Hi,

I am using Canon+Zeiss eq. as per subject line.

Have been lurking around Leica eq.(SL2+Leica lenses L and M mounts), which is expensive comparing to my Zeiss or Canon L lenses.

Although I can still afford it, but question for me is : will I get a noticeable image quality for that extra $$$ ?

You'll get a different image quality: higher spatial res and likely greater dynamic range too. How noticeable or useful this will be depends on what you like to photograph and how you like your photographs to look. I'd suggest renting an SL2 along with a lens or two and giving the system a go.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
Thomas Streng Senior Member • Posts: 2,807

You get a different user interface (I would say more intuitive), a little different color (I prefer Leica color), and AF lenses (compared to Zeiss lenses).

You also will get EVF instead of OVF, just contrast AF instead of phase AF (which is better for C-AF).

I am a Leica guy but have owned and used also Canon (5d) and Nikon.

The grass is always greener on the other side. My advice would be to rent and check out,

A Canon and a good lens allows excellent IQ. So does the SL2. I prefer Leica but I would NOT expects worlds of IQ difference.

OP Modlin New Member • Posts: 4

part 2

Which model shall I go with considering the sensor image, ie. which produces 'better' er..nicer, warmer colors?...your impressions will be appreciated

Pls dont tell me to rent/lease one...I live in Kanadastan, we are way poorer and its hard to find a dealer near me with demo models

Modlin's gear list:Modlin's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
photosse Junior Member • Posts: 32

Modlin wrote:

part 2

Which model shall I go with considering the sensor image, ie. which produces 'better' er..nicer, warmer colors?...your impressions will be appreciated

Your Combo is already a great one, and colors can be twisted to your taste, perhaps can you try different RAW editors, you'll have different colours to start ?

Better colors, it's up to everyone

For my part I cannot use an SL, my crooked nose presses the buttons, activating everything that I have not planned

Clint Dunn
Clint Dunn Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
The SL is more versatile...

I was a long time Canon shooter back in the day...and to be honest the quality difference is probably going to be minimal although there are differences.

The reason I shoot the SL is because of how versatile it is. I own M mount rangefinder lenses and they work great on the SL. It allows me to have a fairly compact package for travel with unbelievable quality. I can then mount my Panasonic and Leica L mount AF lenses and have modern zooms to play with, and the Leica 24-90 is the best standard zoom I have ever used and I used to own Canon L series.

I have owned a lot of cameras over the years, everything from 1 series Canon to Fuji Xpro, medium format Mamiya etc....dozens of cameras and the Leica SL is my all time favourite camera period.

-- hide signature --
 Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads