Colour checker alterative to tungsten

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RGWR
RGWR Regular Member • Posts: 110
Colour checker alterative to tungsten

I'm planning to get a colour checker to profile a new camera but all the advice is that one shot should be taken under tungsten light. We haven't had tungsten bulbs for years and it's now illegal to sell them here, so can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

RGWR's gear list:RGWR's gear list
Sony a7R IIIA Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,302
Re: Colour checker alterative to tungsten

RGWR wrote:

I'm planning to get a colour checker to profile a new camera but all the advice is that one shot should be taken under tungsten light. We haven't had tungsten bulbs for years and it's now illegal to sell them here, so can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

What country are you in?

Most countries had some specific exceptions for use cases like this...  (Albeit bulbs falling under the exception are NOT cheap...)

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
SigZero
SigZero Contributing Member • Posts: 602

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

In EU you can still by classical bulbs in hardware/construction shops - they are marked "for special use", but they are still available.

Br, Pawel.

-- hide signature --

My photo-blog: http://pawel.online

SigZero's gear list:SigZero's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Apple iPhone 11 Pro

SigZero wrote:

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

In EU you can still by classical bulbs in hardware/construction shops - they are marked "for special use", but they are still available.

Br, Pawel.

That's roughly what I see in the US too - there are exceptions to the ban such that Lowes and Home Depot and the like have a few incan bulbs in stock - not many, but enough to rig up a ColorChecker shot if you've got the camera on a tripod.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#United_States

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

John Vickers Contributing Member • Posts: 583

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I stocked up on Tungsten-Halogen GU10 bulbs a while ago.    As  colour-checking references.

But looking on Amazon, they're still available in the UK.

The Ghost of Caravaggio Contributing Member • Posts: 820
Or ?

Sourcing a simple tungsten bulb could be the least expensive solution.

I wonder: would a high quality flash gel or filter would produce the appropriate color temperature?

1/8 CTO Converts 5500°K to 4900°K
1/4 CTO Converts 5500°K to 4500°K
1/2 CTO Converts 5500°K to 3800°K
3/4 CTO Converts 5500°K to 3200°K
Full CTO Converts 5500°K to 2900°K

So, you would have to know the flash color temperature and the tungsten color temperature spec for he color checker.

These are also available for LED lights. For all I know there may be LED photo lights one can set to tungsten. These would be expensive if one ha no other need of off-camera supplemental lighting.

-- hide signature --

"The belief that ‘randomness’ is some kind of real property existing in Nature is a form of the mind projection fallacy which says, in effect, ‘I don’t know the detailed causes – therefore – Nature does not know them."
E.T Jaynes, Probability Theory: The Logic of Science

The Ghost of Caravaggio's gear list:The Ghost of Caravaggio's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,762

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Arri Tungsten, Kobold Tungsten, Kinoflo KF32, etc

-- hide signature --
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,762
Re: Or ?

The Ghost of Caravaggio wrote:

Sourcing a simple tungsten bulb could be the least expensive solution.

I wonder: would a high quality flash gel or filter would produce the appropriate color temperature?

1/8 CTO Converts 5500°K to 4900°K
1/4 CTO Converts 5500°K to 4500°K
1/2 CTO Converts 5500°K to 3800°K
3/4 CTO Converts 5500°K to 3200°K
Full CTO Converts 5500°K to 2900°K

So, you would have to know the flash color temperature and the tungsten color temperature spec for he color checker.

These are also available for LED lights. For all I know there may be LED photo lights one can set to tungsten. These would be expensive if one ha no other need of off-camera supplemental lighting.

Try comparing the spectrum power distribution of any of the above (filtered) sources to tungsten, no fit.

Colour temperature fit is not enough for a successful profile, one needs to match SPD.

-- hide signature --

Iliah Borg wrote:

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yup.  OP didn't state what country they are in, but "special purpose" bulbs like the ones you list are an exemption in most countries I'm aware of.

-- hide signature --

Entropy512 wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yup. OP didn't state what country they are in,

They kindof did. The OP's avatar has a Scottish flag in it. And their profile says they live in Scotland.   From the EU flag, I guess the OP would like an independent Scotland to rejoin the EU - which makes some sense to me.

but "special purpose" bulbs like the ones you list are an exemption in most countries I'm aware of.

John Vickers wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

They kindof did. The OP's avatar has a Scottish flag in it. And their profile says they live in Scotland. From the EU flag, I guess the OP would like an independent Scotland to rejoin the EU - which makes some sense to me.

Which based on the postings of others - indicates they should still be able to obtain tungsten bulbs sold as "special purpose" - albeit at a potentially increased price.

Fortunately you don't need extreme amounts of lighting power to profile a camera if you use a tripod.  My tungsten shots come from a 40 or 60W bulb (can't remember which) and those are still obtainable at reasonable prices even if you're looking for "photographic special purpose" bulbs.  They're just harder to find.  In the US you can still find them in home improvement stores, in the UK or EU you may need to go to a dealer that specializes in photographic equipment.

-- hide signature --

Entropy512 wrote:

John Vickers wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

They kindof did. The OP's avatar has a Scottish flag in it. And their profile says they live in Scotland. From the EU flag, I guess the OP would like an independent Scotland to rejoin the EU - which makes some sense to me.

Which based on the postings of others - indicates they should still be able to obtain tungsten bulbs sold as "special purpose" - albeit at a potentially increased price.

Yes, and, noticing that the OP is in Scotland (I'm in England), I pointed out earlier that mains-voltage tungsten-halogen bulbs are still available on Amazon.co.uk - though I'm not sure about the quality.   I couldn't find the Osram bulbs that I use.

Fortunately you don't need extreme amounts of lighting power to profile a camera if you use a tripod. My tungsten shots come from a 40 or 60W bulb (can't remember which) and those are still obtainable at reasonable prices even if you're looking for "photographic special purpose" bulbs. They're just harder to find. In the US you can still find them in home improvement stores, in the UK or EU you may need to go to a dealer that specializes in photographic equipment.

Yeah. I use 50W tungsten-halogen GU10 bulbs in a desk lamp for this kind of stuff.

RGWR
OP RGWR Regular Member • Posts: 110

Thanks for all the suggestions and I admit I didn't check out Amazon but was going on my understanding of the legal position here in Scotland. I've also realised that I probably do have GU10 halogen  bulbs and hadn't thought about whether one of those would do. They're certainly warm, so long as the spectrum is OK.

Many thanks.

RGWR's gear list:RGWR's gear list
Sony a7R IIIA Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,904

RGWR wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions and I admit I didn't check out Amazon but was going on my understanding of the legal position here in Scotland. I've also realised that I probably do have GU10 halogen bulbs and hadn't thought about whether one of those would do. They're certainly warm, so long as the spectrum is OK.

Good luck!

The main purpose of an Adobe dual-illuminant profile is not to characterize tungsten lighting, which it does incidentally, but rather to get sufficient data points to characterize a wide range of blackbody radiation. Getting those two points means that you can use one profile for a huge range of lighting, everything from candlelight to dusk, which are all close enough to blackbody.

For non-blackbody sources single illuminant profiles are needed, and dual profiles probably should not be used.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 36,141

RGWR wrote:

Thanks in advance.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=photoflood&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a9 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads