Way forward for hybrid shooting w/ existing lens wardrobe

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
scrdhrt New Member • Posts: 6
Way forward for hybrid shooting w/ existing lens wardrobe

Hi,

I am contemplating the way forward for my camera setup and would like some input and feedback.

Background:

I've been using a Nikon system since the dawn of time and have been mainly a stills photographer, but have also been shooting some video in the past using regular video recording equipment, not DSLR-style. However, it's been a minute and then some since I was in the game, and I am not at all updated on the mirrorless systems.

Current system is a Nikon D700 with a Nikkor 24-70 2.8 and a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR, and a Nikkor 60mm 2.8 macro lens. I am currently using the D700 with the macro lens for DSLR scanning of analouge film negatives. My current stills photography is done with film cameras, not digital.

In addition to the Nikon equipment, I also have a large collection of  manual focus m42-mount lenses from the 70s. My research tells me it's popular to use/adapt these for video nowdays.

As I want to create more video (short films, familiy life and the like) I have been looking into what options I have. I don't have unlimited budget, but are prone to stick to a system/setup for a long time and rather pay a little more for a future and bullet proof system.

So my needs for a new digital system are primarily video capabilities and stills photo second (DSLR scanning mainly), and since I have some quality lenses for F-mount I am looking investing further into Nikon.

As I understand it, the Nikon Z6ii has been very well received, both in regards to build a mirrorless video rig around, and also as a stills camera. On the other hand I have the option to get a Panasonic S1H, also well regarded I've been told, for a steal.

The Z6ii comes with the FTZ adapter, so I can use my F-mount lenses nativley, and I need to get some sort of adapter for the m42 lenses, if possible (?). Can the S1H use the Nikkor lenses with an adapter? I know the S1H can use the m42 with an adapter.

I am leaning towards the Nikon due to my Nikkor lenses, but I am not set with that brand. I can sell the whole shebang for a great system. How would you reason about this?

Thanks

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Strangefinder
Strangefinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,191
Re: Way forward for hybrid shooting w/ existing lens wardrobe

scrdhrt wrote:

Hi,

I am contemplating the way forward for my camera setup and would like some input and feedback.

Background:

I've been using a Nikon system since the dawn of time and have been mainly a stills photographer, but have also been shooting some video in the past using regular video recording equipment, not DSLR-style. However, it's been a minute and then some since I was in the game, and I am not at all updated on the mirrorless systems.

Current system is a Nikon D700 with a Nikkor 24-70 2.8 and a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR, and a Nikkor 60mm 2.8 macro lens. I am currently using the D700 with the macro lens for DSLR scanning of analouge film negatives. My current stills photography is done with film cameras, not digital.

In addition to the Nikon equipment, I also have a large collection of manual focus m42-mount lenses from the 70s. My research tells me it's popular to use/adapt these for video nowdays.

As I want to create more video (short films, familiy life and the like) I have been looking into what options I have. I don't have unlimited budget, but are prone to stick to a system/setup for a long time and rather pay a little more for a future and bullet proof system.

So my needs for a new digital system are primarily video capabilities and stills photo second (DSLR scanning mainly), and since I have some quality lenses for F-mount I am looking investing further into Nikon.

As I understand it, the Nikon Z6ii has been very well received, both in regards to build a mirrorless video rig around, and also as a stills camera. On the other hand I have the option to get a Panasonic S1H, also well regarded I've been told, for a steal.

The Z6ii comes with the FTZ adapter, so I can use my F-mount lenses nativley, and I need to get some sort of adapter for the m42 lenses, if possible (?). Can the S1H use the Nikkor lenses with an adapter? I know the S1H can use the m42 with an adapter.

I am leaning towards the Nikon due to my Nikkor lenses, but I am not set with that brand. I can sell the whole shebang for a great system. How would you reason about this?

Thanks

The short answer would be to go with the Nikon Z-series since you already have Nikkors. I can tell you a bit about the L-Mount Alliance, though.

The Panasonic S1H is very high-end, and the L-Mount Alliance brings many advantages - especially with regard to video, manual focus, cinematography, special features, imaging versatility.

There would be some advantages to the S1H and that system, but they may not be significant enough for your use-case to offset the advantages of Nikon continuity.

The mechanical M42 lenses can be adapted to any short-flange mirrourless system with an adaptor from Novoflex, Kipon or others.

The S1H can keep a database of your manual lenses so that the stabiliser and EXIF can be set quickly.

All the Lumix S cameras have multishot mode for super high-resolution scanning or static shots without having to use a computer.

There is a Nikon F to L-mount AF adaptor from Novoflex for the Leica SL/SL2/SL2-S, however, it is unusual because it pre-dates the L-Mount Alliance so the main feature of AF wouldn’t work on the S1H, though it probably conveys EXIF data and the focal length for the sensor-stabiliser (which has to be put in manually for non-electronic lenses.)

Of course, for mechanical Nikon F lenses, there are again Novoflex, Kipon etc adaptors. Some have an aperture control for G-type Nikon F lenses.

The L-Mount Alliance includes numerous high-performance, yet good value lenses from Sigma. This is a major advantage over the Z-system, but only if you plan to buy more lenses. Similarly, Panasonic have some value lenses which have advantages in video mode.

The Sigma fp and fp L are Sigma’s L-mount cameras, and feature extensive cinematography features, as well. The features are different from those of the S1H, though. The chassis is the smallest FF, whereas the S1H’s is among the largest. It is being used to film some scenes in the Avatar II film, so its footage is able to be matched with cameras which cost orders of magnitude more.

I mention the Sigma fp less as another option, since it is less versatile than the S1H, and more because the L-Mount Alliance itself has this advantage of having multiple options and styles in terms of lenses and special features.

The L-mount and Sigma forums here may have more info, and the CineD website and youtube channel can be helpful.

Having said all that, Nikon Z probably makes more sense for you, unless you feel like a change.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
"If lies can begin wars then the truth can end them." Jx/xxn Xssxngx
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

OP scrdhrt New Member • Posts: 6

Strangefinder wrote:

scrdhrt wrote:

Hi,

Background:

In addition to the Nikon equipment, I also have a large collection of manual focus m42-mount lenses from the 70s. My research tells me it's popular to use/adapt these for video nowdays.

Thanks

The short answer would be to go with the Nikon Z-series since you already have Nikkors. I can tell you a bit about the L-Mount Alliance, though.

The Panasonic S1H is very high-end, and the L-Mount Alliance brings many advantages - especially with regard to video, manual focus, cinematography, special features, imaging versatility.

There would be some advantages to the S1H and that system, but they may not be significant enough for your use-case to offset the advantages of Nikon continuity.

The mechanical M42 lenses can be adapted to any short-flange mirrourless system with an adaptor from Novoflex, Kipon or others.

The S1H can keep a database of your manual lenses so that the stabiliser and EXIF can be set quickly.

All the Lumix S cameras have multishot mode for super high-resolution scanning or static shots without having to use a computer.

There is a Nikon F to L-mount AF adaptor from Novoflex for the Leica SL/SL2/SL2-S, however, it is unusual because it pre-dates the L-Mount Alliance so the main feature of AF wouldn’t work on the S1H, though it probably conveys EXIF data and the focal length for the sensor-stabiliser (which has to be put in manually for non-electronic lenses.)

Of course, for mechanical Nikon F lenses, there are again Novoflex, Kipon etc adaptors. Some have an aperture control for G-type Nikon F lenses.

The L-Mount Alliance includes numerous high-performance, yet good value lenses from Sigma. This is a major advantage over the Z-system, but only if you plan to buy more lenses. Similarly, Panasonic have some value lenses which have advantages in video mode.

The Sigma fp and fp L are Sigma’s L-mount cameras, and feature extensive cinematography features, as well. The features are different from those of the S1H, though. The chassis is the smallest FF, whereas the S1H’s is among the largest. It is being used to film some scenes in the Avatar II film, so its footage is able to be matched with cameras which cost orders of magnitude more.

I mention the Sigma fp less as another option, since it is less versatile than the S1H, and more because the L-Mount Alliance itself has this advantage of having multiple options and styles in terms of lenses and special features.

The L-mount and Sigma forums here may have more info, and the CineD website and youtube channel can be helpful.

Having said all that, Nikon Z probably makes more sense for you, unless you feel like a change.

Thank you for the very good intro to L-mount! I really appreciate it. I'll have a ponder on the situation, but yeah, Nikon Z makes most sense.

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,390

Manual focus Nikkors and your m42 can easily be adapted to any mirrorless camera.

AF-S “G” lenses can also be mounted and used in MF but no exif - you need a special dumb adapter with a lever to actuate the aperture.

AF-S “E” lenses are fly by wire and so won’t work on a dumb adapter.

In general there is no satisfactory way of mounting, with full electronic control incl AF/VR etc, Nikkors on any other body. There are really no effective “smart” adapters and the ones that exist seem to be a bit hit and miss.

The FTZ will of course work with modern AF-S and with ai/ai-s but cannot AF screw drive lenses eg it won’t AF my 60/2.8 and 180/2.8 AF-Ds.

If you were to go to L alliance system ( or indeed Sony or Canon RF ) then perhaps it would be sensible to sell your Nikon lenses.

I do no videography so can’t sensibly comment on that eg re my Z6 which I use for stills.

I also use my Z6 with adapted lenses mainly Contax but also a few M42. These legacy lenses work well as far as I know on any, particularly FF, mirrorless. I have used them on Z, Sony A7, NEX 6, m43 .

iljitsch Senior Member • Posts: 1,094

I got a Nikon Z fc very recently, so consider this biased.

From some casual testing I'd say that the Z fc, and thus presumably all recent Nikon Z cameras, is/are pretty good at video. It looks like Z mount lenses use quiet focus motors (AF-P lenses) and the autofocus in video mode is pretty good, but of course nothing that rivals professional video or film production of moving subjects.

You can use all your recent AF-S and AF-P lenses on a Z camera with full functionality. However, the issue of the relatively noisy focus motors remains with many/most/all? AF-S lenses. I tried some video with one of my AF-S lenses and it also seemed to hunt for focus, unlike the Z AF-P kit lens.

Older AF lenses such as AF-D won't autofocus, as the FTZ adapter lacks the focus motor to drive them. However, they work perfectly in manual focus mode.

Manual focus lenses (without a CPU) are largely crippled when it comes to stills as it seems you don't get all the focus aids, and aperture changes are "live" so with a small aperture, the image gets dark and gains a lot of depth of field so good luck focussing.

For video you'll probably won't need to change the aperture during shooting (the AF-P lenses will do that no problem and quietly, I think the AF-S ones on the FTZ also but with a little bit of noise) and if you can either set and forget the focus or focus manually during the shoot you're good.

Apparently there will be a new FTZ2 relatively soon, and although unlikely, it's not impossible that that one will have the focus motor for AF-D lenses, so if you can wait...

There are adapters for all lenses known to man to the Z mount, but apart from the FTZ and one that adapts current Canon lenses to Z, they're all passive, i.e., no electronics, so the same limitations apply as with non-CPU Nikon lenses on the FTZ.

I'm thinking of getting the M42 to Z myself, so I'll be able to use even more ancient 50 mm lenses or that ginormous east German Pentacon 135 mm f/2.8 "bokeh monster" lens with its 15 aperture blades.

On the other hand, if you want to switch systems, perhaps it makes sense to sell your old stuff now, as it's likely that as more people adopt mirrorless, Nikon F mount second hand prices will decline.

On the third hand, if you have a Nikon film body that drives AF-S lenses, you could use those lenses with all your cameras and you won't be duplicating anything.

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads