LX10 Impressions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Shiny Object Contributing Member • Posts: 624
LX10 Impressions

I've had the LX10 since just before the start of COVID times. I used it a bit, stopped using it for a long while, then starting using it more recently.

Body: I like the looks of this little camera. I don't like the slipperiness but the included wrist strap works perfectly. The aperture dial is fun to turn. It has zero weather resistance and it does suck in dirt through the zoom, as well as through the front of the lens. I don't know how a person would avoid getting dirt inside the lens. I always carry the camera in a small Ziploc bag and it still has some dirt inside, though it's not visible in my images (yet).

Autofocus: Great for still subjects. Mostly solid for semi-macro work. Continuous autofocus does okay (not great) for moving subjects. Face/eye detect is good for people looking directly at the camera, not so good if they are not looking at the camera. Easy to set a focus point with the responsive touchscreen.

Image Quality: Mixed bag.

The good: Surprisingly good bokeh if you have some space between your subject and the background. If there’s not a sufficient degree of background blur, Luminar AI can add more blur - works reasonably well most of the time in the few images I’ve used it for. Good image quality in the center. Nice color rendition in RAW files.

The bad: At widest angle, the image quality is smeary toward image edges - and one actually doesn't need to get far outside of the center to see some image degradation. If you're a landscape shooter, beware. I'm not a real pixel peeper, but I don't like smeary images. And there is some smear at wide angle. Toward the middle of the zoom range, things get better but are never sharp in the corners, but at least the midframe is mostly good. Seems like the image is a little softer at full zoom, but still plenty usable in the center. I’ve not shot many landscapes stopped down at the long end of the zoom, so I can’t say much about the corners/edges at the long end.

When shooting very closeup, the image is a bit hazy, especially at wide apertures.

For comparison, the Sony RX10m3 and m4 are substantially sharper midframe to the corners. The RX10 isn't great in the corners but it's not a smeary mess either.

I don’t shoot jpeg much, so all I can say is that the advice in this forum to turn noise reduction way down and increase sharpness for jpegs is good. But I find the RAW files with a little work come out better than the jpegs.

Closeup: The 3cm minimum focusing distance (MFD) at wide angle is a marvelous feature. Offers a fun closeup perspective, with smooth bokeh.

4K Photo/Post Focus: Very useful features.

Operational Annoyances: Slow to zoom. The buffer takes a long time to clear. On my Sony gear, I’m accustomed to using auto ISO when shooting in manual (I set aperture and shutter speed, and let the camera set ISO). That doesn’t work on the LX10, which is annoying. Because the camera won’t set ISO in manual mode, that also means one can’t use exposure compensation in manual mode. So it’s full manual – aperture, shutter, and ISO. If you’re in the “Real Photographers Only Shoot Full Manual” club, then I guess what I am describing here is a feature, not a bug. But it annoys me.

Also, there is no way of setting minimum shutter speed in aperture priority mode, so the camera will sometimes select shutter speeds that lead to motion blur.

Operational Joys: Responsive touchscreen, easy to understand menus – and the touchscreen works in the menus (hint, hint, Sony). The tilting touchscreen is great for low-angle shots. I can see the histogram and electronic level on the screen at the same time (hint, hint, Sony). Having the front of the lens serve as a control dial is nice; works nicely in aperture or shutter mode (I use it for exposure comp, but this doesn’t work in manual mode – see above).

Image stabilization: Works very well. Excellent way to keep ISO down.

Video: I don’t use it much for video. Seems to work reasonably well for video – output is certainly better than video recorded on my phone. I’ve only used HD video, not 4K.

Flash: Flash works great for fill flash outside and it can be bounced (but at a partially-forward angle, not vertically) to illuminate subject and keep ISO down indoors. And with DXO Deep Prime noise reduction, high ISO images (3200, sometimes 6400) are usable if subject is illuminated properly. Big prints at high ISO... no, but small prints and on screen, sure.

Overall: I am mostly a happy customer. The portability is fantastic. For casual family shooting, the autofocus, focal range flexibility and image quality are reasonably good. I love shooting closeups and this camera delivers excellent closeups. I would be disappointed by this camera if I were primarily using it for landscapes, especially at wide angle. Perhaps most importantly, I find it fun to use and I am generally pleased with the image quality for my purposes.

Sample images below…

You can see softness throughout much of the frame.

Shiny Object's gear list:Shiny Object's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX10 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +6 more
Panasonic LX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Neverlost99
Neverlost99 Contributing Member • Posts: 838
Re: LX10 Impressions

The photos are great. I find the 4 k video. Keep in mind it’s a tiny camera with a F1.4 lens. I sold my FZ1000 to trade down for the size. After customization and familiarity the camera punches way above its weight class. Remember, it a sub$500 camera and thenSonys are way more expensive. 
I find it easy to carry with NIKON FF Z5 and 24200 lens. I do miss the longest focal length but I think it’s a great camera to use on manual very good jpeg. --
TJC

Neverlost99's gear list:Neverlost99's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX10 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 40mm F2
OP Shiny Object Contributing Member • Posts: 624

Neverlost99 wrote:

The photos are great. I find the 4 k video. Keep in mind it’s a tiny camera with a F1.4 lens. I sold my FZ1000 to trade down for the size. After customization and familiarity the camera punches way above its weight class. Remember, it a sub$500 camera and thenSonys are way more expensive.
I find it easy to carry with NIKON FF Z5 and 24200 lens. I do miss the longest focal length but I think it’s a great camera to use on manual very good jpeg. --
TJC

Thank you.

The tiny camera with f1.4 is indeed a nice combination. It is very easy to carry by itself or as a secondary camera.

Ricoh GR Sony RX10 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +6 more
Puppy2007 Regular Member • Posts: 445

Shiny Object wrote:

reduction way down and increase sharpness for jpegs is good. But I find the RAW files with a little work come out better than the jpegs.

I still keep it as a second camera to my Sony A7C. I really like the touch interface, very effective image stabilization, the F1.4 lens and good 4K video. I shoot RAW only as it provides much better quality over the out of camera JPEG. It is fun to use camera in general. The only feature I don't like is the Auto ISO that tends to use unnecessary high ISO not taking advantage of the great image stabilization, so the manual setting is required.

There are also very few camera vendors making camera like this nowadays. That's why I bought 3 years extended warranty provided by Panasonic last year after the lens module had to be replaced (under original 2 years warranty fortunately), because the automatic lens cover mechanism got stuck.

I have the same experience regarding the dirt. After the lens was replaced it took few weeks only to get a dust inside again. I always carry it in a small protective bag and clean the dust on the extended lens tube. As for the wide end sharpness, lens sample variance plays a big role on these cameras. If I want a decent one, I use my Sony A7C + 20/F1.8 G lens.

Even live show low-light pictures have acceptable quality given the 1" sensor.

Suicide Commando at E-Only Festival 2020, Leipzig

Puppy2007's gear list:Puppy2007's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7C Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
Neverlost99

Good advice I will add a small lens cloth to my bag and try to clean before retracting..

-- hide signature --

TJC

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX10 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 40mm F2
thielges
thielges Contributing Member • Posts: 619

Thanks for the thoughtful review.  I like my LX10 too and it goes everywhere with me because it is so small.  One surprise feature for me was the time lapse which mostly works great, though I'd prefer some sub-second interval choices.  Time lapse was my original introduction to photography way back in the film days.  Nice to have it in digital too so I can get reacquainted with its joys.

Neverlost99

I will have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

-- hide signature --

TJC

OP Shiny Object Contributing Member • Posts: 624

thielges wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful review. I like my LX10 too and it goes everywhere with me because it is so small. One surprise feature for me was the time lapse which mostly works great, though I'd prefer some sub-second interval choices. Time lapse was my original introduction to photography way back in the film days. Nice to have it in digital too so I can get reacquainted with its joys.

Yes, it sure is easy to take with you. I haven't used the time lapse feature. I will have to try it.

thielges
thielges Contributing Member • Posts: 619

If you use the LX10 for time lapse, I recommend using the settings described here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4338433

John McCormack
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,708
Re: LX10 Impressions. Tip for Handling/Grip

Shiny Object wrote:

Body: I like the looks of this little camera. I don't like the slipperiness but the included wrist strap works perfectly.

I have a Fuji XQ2, which is slightly smaller than the LX10 body and is also slippery. I applied a piece of Velcro (loop/rough side) to the right side of the body where your fingers grip the camera. It works very well to improve handling and you can remove it if you want to in the future for any reason.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads