Q2 centering the AF point

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
StevenScholten Regular Member • Posts: 415
Q2 centering the AF point

Hi. I just bought a Leica Q2. I am very happy with the image quality and tbe overall handling and setup of the camera. But unfortunatly there seems to be a major flaw. As far as I can tell there is no way to center to AF point. Sure you can double tap the rear screen, but that is hardly an option when you are looking through tbe viewfinder. What could be easier then assigning the center button of the directional pad? It would also be usefull if hou could assign 1/4 part of tbe rear screen to move the focus point around.

Many users must agree with me on this right?

Thanks

Steven

StevenScholten's gear list:StevenScholten's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +11 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,769
Re: Q2 centering the AF point

StevenScholten wrote:

Hi. I just bought a Leica Q2. I am very happy with the image quality and tbe overall handling and setup of the camera. But unfortunatly there seems to be a major flaw. As far as I can tell there is no way to center to AF point. Sure you can double tap the rear screen, but that is hardly an option when you are looking through tbe viewfinder. What could be easier then assigning the center button of the directional pad? It would also be usefull if hou could assign 1/4 part of tbe rear screen to move the focus point around.

Thanks

Steven

Are you talking about the AF metering field? I believe That is what you double tap the screen for to re center.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +8 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 6,871

StevenScholten wrote:

Thanks

Steven

Hi, I just got the CL, same problem.. No Cure. Just be aware..L

-- hide signature --

Everyday is a Challenge. I Meet It Head On..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
steveashe Regular Member • Posts: 286

I understand!  Not being able to push the center button on the joystick to "return to center" on the screen is one of the only issues I've had with the Q2.  Probably an easy firmware update.

Or maybe there is something that the OP and I are missing?  I'm brand new to the Q2.

steveashe's gear list:steveashe's gear list
Leica Q2 Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 24-105mm F4
OP StevenScholten Regular Member • Posts: 415

JDLaing50 wrote:

StevenScholten wrote:

Thanks

Steven

Are you talking about the AF metering field? I believe That is what you double tap the screen for to re center.

Yeah but what would be easier then press a button. Changing the focus point with tge rear screen is inpossible. You wouod need extremely long fingers to cover the whole range. A 1/4 th of tbe screen (bottom right) woukd be usefull.

Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +11 more

StevenScholten wrote:

JDLaing50 wrote:

StevenScholten wrote:

Thanks

Steven

Yeah but what would be easier then press a button. Changing the focus point with tge rear screen is inpossible. You wouod need extremely long fingers to cover the whole range. A 1/4 th of tbe screen (bottom right) woukd be usefull.

If I’m not mistaken you can double tap anywhere on the rear screen to re center. The directional pad should work as well.

Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +8 more
DaveyA Junior Member • Posts: 36

If you are right, and there is no other solution other than tapping twice, I would find it maddening also, especially on an expensive camera like the Q2.

As a matter of interest, what does the joystick button do?

DaveyA's gear list:DaveyA's gear list
Leica X Vario Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS RP Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +1 more

You can also use the direction arrows on the pad.

DaveyA wrote:

If you are right, and there is no other solution other than tapping twice, I would find it maddening also, especially on an expensive camera like the Q2.

And it’s not expensive. A week’s pay. Chump change.

OP StevenScholten Regular Member • Posts: 415

DaveyA wrote:

You move the focuspoint either by dragging it on screen (not usefull if you use the EVF) or by using the arrow keys. the centre button is set to remove on screen information.

A joystick would have been great, but I bought a camera without a joystick so that is fine.  Some things you find out after buying a camera.

paul hofseth New Member • Posts: 8

A  focus and metering point that can be accidentally moved is a major fault.

When taking pictures one does not want distractions needing buttons and screens.

Firmware enabling a simple stay put command would do. My Nikon Z7 has the same fault with the measuring point randomly wandering off when handling the camera.

p.

LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 6,871

paul hofseth wrote:

A focus and metering point that can be accidentally moved is a major fault.

When taking pictures one does not want distractions needing buttons and screens.

Firmware enabling a simple stay put command would do. My Nikon Z7 has the same fault with the measuring point randomly wandering off when handling the camera.

p.

I agree, on my CL, D-Lux7, 90D & 5Ds the Focus point jumps around when handling the camera.. Damn Nuisance, definitely needs a firmware update to Lock it in position..  L

-- hide signature --

Everyday is a Challenge. I Meet It Head On..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
steveashe Regular Member • Posts: 286

LeicaEye wrote:

paul hofseth wrote:

A focus and metering point that can be accidentally moved is a major fault.

p.

I agree, on my CL, D-Lux7, 90D & 5Ds the Focus point jumps around when handling the camera.. Damn Nuisance, definitely needs a firmware update to Lock it in position.. L

Agreed!

steveashe's gear list:steveashe's gear list
Leica Q2 Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Le Chef Regular Member • Posts: 163

This is a problem the CL also has. The obvious solution would be to make the focus point on the rear screen fixed as the default with the option to move it as an option.

This has been a known problem for at least 5 years, but Leica in their “wisdom” choose to ignore the request when updating firmware…

I have the LCD switched off all the time and only active when I press the menu button.

The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 833

This is a fairly basic feature available on other cameras, and it seems that it could be provided via a firmware update if Leica wanted to do it.

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +7 more
highdesertmesa
highdesertmesa Contributing Member • Posts: 936

StevenScholten wrote:

Thanks

Steven

Turn on the option for Touch AF in EVF, and you can use your right thumb on the rear screen to move the focus point while looking through the EVF. Once that's set, see if you can double-tap the screen with your thumb to recenter the focus point while looking through the EVF.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads