Epson 1500W Yellow printing Black

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Chris-N New Member • Posts: 19
Epson 1500W Yellow printing Black

I have a European Epson 1500W which is basically the same as the 1430 in the USA. For the last 3 months I have had an annoying problem that some of the yellow nozzles print Black.  On rare occasions, it's the other way round and some of the Black nozzles print yellow. If I print a purge pattern the problem clears up and I can carry on printing, but after the printer has been sitting idle for a while, the problem will return.

I have tried many things without success.

1- I have cleaned the wiper blade.
2- I have performed an underhead clean by placing tissue soaked with cleaning solution and allowing the head to soak and gliding the head over it.
3- I have removed the cleaning pad and thoroughly cleaned it before replacing.
4- Cleaning Cycles might solve the problem temporarily but later the problem will return.
5- I have verified that the cleaning station is providing suction, I can see waste ink flowing to the external waste ink bottle.
6- I have not seen any evidence that the carts are leaking.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix? Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Chris

Nozzle test.

Purge pattern. The yellow gradually clears up.

mikling Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: Epson 1500W Yellow printing Black

Sorry, your printhead is cracked/delaminated. All printers using this model printhead will eventually fail this way.

Do not waste your efforts. Either you have a new printhead installed or look for something else. The new replacement will eventually do this as well...so consider it consumable. It is a weakness in design.

The Black into Yellow is classic.

OP Chris-N New Member • Posts: 19

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, a delaminated head is a possible cause. The other possibility is that somehow the ink is transferring from black to yellow by running under the head. A badly fitting capping station may have something to do with it; The suction cleaning works fine, so it seals properly.

If the head is really delaminated, I know how to replace the head, but honestly I don't think its cost effective to do so with an old printer.

If the problem is the ink cap under the head, then that is easy to replace if I can get hold of one. Epson only sell the whole cleaning station with the cap. I don't want to spend money on the whole cleaning station unless I can be sure that is really the problem.

I cannot be sure, but in this case, it might not be a delaminated head. Once the purge pattern has cleaned the yellow nozzles it will print fine until the printer rests for a bit and the problem returns. There is no black in yellow contamination while the printer is printing. So that makes me think it could be another reason (wishful thinking).

I am hoping that someone might have experienced a similar problem and found a fix.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Kind regards

Chris

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 14,632

Chris-N wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, a delaminated head is a possible cause. The other possibility is that somehow the ink is transferring from black to yellow by running under the head. A badly fitting capping station may have something to do with it; The suction cleaning works fine, so it seals properly.

If the head is really delaminated, I know how to replace the head, but honestly I don't think its cost effective to do so with an old printer.

If the problem is the ink cap under the head, then that is easy to replace if I can get hold of one. Epson only sell the whole cleaning station with the cap. I don't want to spend money on the whole cleaning station unless I can be sure that is really the problem.

I cannot be sure, but in this case, it might not be a delaminated head. Once the purge pattern has cleaned the yellow nozzles it will print fine until the printer rests for a bit and the problem returns. There is no black in yellow contamination while the printer is printing. So that makes me think it could be another reason (wishful thinking).

I am hoping that someone might have experienced a similar problem and found a fix.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Kind regards

Chris

Chris, I don't have your model and have not used it. However, I now have three Epson R 800, 1 R1800, and 1 3880.

I have never experienced this issued with the 3880 or even had a clogged nozzle -- it is an amazing Printer.

The R 800 printers are (of course) old but 1 of mine is conditioned for non use the other two are in active use. I have had basically your same issue with 1 or more (don't remember) and corrected the issue with no real problem.

I use a 12 CC Syringe with a piece of tubing (4 to 5 inches long) that is the size to fit fairly tight over the ink input Nozzles where the ink Cartridges supply ink to the printer. Remove enough joining cartridges for enough room, plus (first_ the Yellow cartridge), then place the tubing over the yellow nozzle and "gently" push it down over the nozzle. Usually slightly twisting the tubing as you push helps it to slip down. Do NOT push the Syringe plunger down, instead Pull it UP to such out any ink residue ink at the Yellow Nozzle. Do the same (for the first time) for the offending (or mixed with) Black. If (and when) this happens again, this is needed only for the offending color

Then replace all cartriges and let the printer do it's normal activity since it will "think" that you changed cartridges. Print a page that contains strips of ALL colors. Available on internet, if you don't find send me a private message that includes your email and I will send the file to you. I don't think to check my Private messages very frequent so please pose here thet you have sent one.  Second Thought, you posted showing one of these.

Next, do a nozzle check. If not a good Nozzle follow whatever you normally do to clear up this issue. After this, you should have clear and proper printing. If you don't at first print the strips a few more times to clear out any residue ink that was left after sucking out the nozzles. This has always worked for me and I hope you experience the same results

-- hide signature --

Vernon

Vernon, thank you very much for your reply. I have nothing to lose. I will install cleaning carts and do cleaning cycles for a few days. I will report back if there is any improvement.

Kind regards

Chris

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,233

Good luck.  But I expect this is the common delamination issue.  I had the same thing on my 1430.  Can't find it, but Mike Lee explained more fully what is happening in a post in the past.  A head cleaning will temporarily clear the issue but it returns.  That would be one clue.  Don't know about the capping station explanation.

Chris-N wrote:

Vernon, thank you very much for your reply. I have nothing to lose. I will install cleaning carts and do cleaning cycles for a few days. I will report back if there is any improvement.

Kind regards

Chris

My suggestion is rather simple and also is very inexpensive (less than a couple bucks) so I hope you try it BEFORE you load it up with cleaning solution.  Certainly it is your decision what you want to do.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,666

Chris-N wrote:

Yes, a delaminated head is a possible cause. The other possibility is that somehow the ink is transferring from black to yellow by running under the head.

We can discard that possibility due to the black ink not being randomly deposited or smeared. The perfect fit to the nozzle pattern means it’s going through the yellow pathway.

Once the purge pattern has cleaned the yellow nozzles it will print fine until the printer rests for a bit and the problem returns. There is no black in yellow contamination while the printer is printing. So that makes me think it could be another reason (wishful thinking).

My take on that is that the flow rate of the cross-leak is more slow than the flow during printing.

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

Chris-N wrote:

Kind regards

Chris

Chris, do you have a FINAL verdict for end results.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Vernon thank you very much for your help. I have installed cleaning carts as an experiment to see if they will help in any way. Also I have a deflected black nozzle I am trying to fix with the cleaning carts. So far, the deflected nozzle is still there. Once the nozzle is fixed then I will try the tubing method and suck out the ink in the yellow and black positions as you have suggested. I already have tubing, so I don't need to buy anything.

After re-reading your fix about sucking out the ink with tubing and a syringe, I can understand that suction can have the effect of pulling the head together, which might help fix the delamination. Its definitely worth a try.  I will report back later.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards

Chris

just Tony wrote:

Chris-N wrote:

Yes, a delaminated head is a possible cause. The other possibility is that somehow the ink is transferring from black to yellow by running under the head.

We can discard that possibility due to the black ink not being randomly deposited or smeared. The perfect fit to the nozzle pattern means it’s going through the yellow pathway.

Once the purge pattern has cleaned the yellow nozzles it will print fine until the printer rests for a bit and the problem returns. There is no black in yellow contamination while the printer is printing. So that makes me think it could be another reason (wishful thinking).

My take on that is that the flow rate of the cross-leak is more slow than the flow during printing.

Thank you for your reply Tony. Actually on my old 1290 I had a similar problem with the wrong colours printing very occasionally.  In that case it was due to underhead ink contamination.

In this case I suspect that it could well be a delaminated head. But I am trying my best to save this printer.

Kind regards

Chris

Gesture wrote:

Good luck. But I expect this is the common delamination issue. I had the same thing on my 1430. Can't find it, but Mike Lee explained more fully what is happening in a post in the past. A head cleaning will temporarily clear the issue but it returns. That would be one clue. Don't know about the capping station explanation.

Gesture, thank you for your reply. My understanding is that Epson print heads are made from sandwiched layers of plastic. Cut into those layers like a circuit board are the ink channels that go from the carts to the nozzles. If the sandwiched layers separate for whatever reason, air could ne introduced or cross channel ink contamination can occur.

In my case, if delamination is the cause, there is not much hope of a cure. But I am trying all the suggestions and will report back in case I find a fix. Unfortunately replacing with a genuine Epson head would cost me about half the price of a new printer which is just not worthwhile. I don't know of a source of a cheap and good replacement Epson print head.

The good thing is that  I can still use the printer. But before every print job, I have to print  a 2 inch yellow purge pattern. Its annoying, but works.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Kind regards

Chris

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,233

Good luck.  Don't like giving up on a printer, myself, but have had to a couple of times.

Still run many ancient printers.

Chris-N wrote:

Vernon thank you very much for your help. I have installed cleaning carts as an experiment to see if they will help in any way. Also I have a deflected black nozzle I am trying to fix with the cleaning carts. So far, the deflected nozzle is still there. Once the nozzle is fixed then I will try the tubing method and suck out the ink in the yellow and black positions as you have suggested. I already have tubing, so I don't need to buy anything.

After re-reading your fix about sucking out the ink with tubing and a syringe, I can understand that suction can have the effect of pulling the head together, which might help fix the delamination. Its definitely worth a try. I will report back later.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards

Chris

Chris, I honestly don't know if there will be a benefit to applying the "sucking out" after you have used the cleaning cartridges -- since that should have left ALL of the ports (for all colors only with Cleaning fluid so there should now not be any "residue ink" to suck out.  Also, if you do get some residue it will all be cleaning fluid but with NO knowledge of what color channel it came from.  Before the cleaning fluid you could determine what port (color) it came from.

If you choose to do this NOW (instead of before) applying the cleaning fluid process -- then, the results May or may not be beneficial for both of us.

Hopefully, after the cleaning fluid process and you re-install your ink cartridges and get ink flowing for ALL ports, then if it is OK, you would not "Initially" need to do any suck opt.  Wait to see if you AGAIN get mixed colors.

Most of the printers seem to be very "cranky" to keep running.

Regardless, I am interested in your FINAL results -- and hopefully it will be good news.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads