Scanning glass mounted slides

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jupiterkansas New Member • Posts: 1
Scanning glass mounted slides

I'm looking to make high quality scans of glass mounted slides (and no, I can't take them apart because the image is actually on the glass itself). What would be the best scanner for this? Scan quality is paramount, although I'd like to keep it under $1,000.

I'm looking at the PlusTek Optifilm 8200i but I'm not sure if the slide holder can handle the thicker slide mounts, and their website doesn't offer any help. Seems like it will do the job though.

Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 3,110
Re: Scanning glass mounted slides

jupiterkansas wrote:

I'm looking to make high quality scans of glass mounted slides (and no, I can't take them apart because the image is actually on the glass itself). What would be the best scanner for this? Scan quality is paramount, although I'd like to keep it under $1,000.

I'm looking at the PlusTek Optifilm 8200i but I'm not sure if the slide holder can handle the thicker slide mounts, and their website doesn't offer any help. Seems like it will do the job though.

I’ve just tried a glass mounted slide in the holder for my 8200i and it fits OK.   The slides are not particularly old though, probably dating back to the 1980s.  If yours have got tape bindings etc then it might be a bit tight.

The scan quality of  the 8200i is excellent

Tomm111 Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

Are these 35mm? I have seen latern slides printed on glass but never a 35mm. They are generally the film held in a cardbord mount with the glass taped around it. Are they old B&W images? Either way it would probably be best to digitize the image with a 24mp or higher digital camera rather than a scanner. The only caveat is if the mounts have anti newton ring glass, then you'd have to remove that peice of glass, but this was more with newer GEPE mounts. I'd still go with a digital camera.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +18 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,697

jupiterkansas wrote:

How many slides?

The main problem with the Optech scanners is that they don't focus. There is a maximum thickness that you can fit a slide holder on the 135i...

You should be able to get an old focusing USB film scanner, but it will be old.

I think I'd go fora macro lens on an interchangable lens camera - I'd expect much better quality from that than a flatbed..

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads