re: Rubber eye cup on DK20c correction lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
GermaninLondon Junior Member • Posts: 46
re: Rubber eye cup on DK20c correction lens

Hello

I decided to no longer use my glasses when using my D7200. As my eyesight is slightly worse than what can be corrected on the D7200 directly I had to buy a DK20c correction lens. So far so good. But now I can no longer fit the original DK23 rubber eye cup. This seems odd as the DK20c has two grooves which suggest that you might be able to fit an eyecup. But I have been told by a number of Nikon dealers that this is actually not possible. If true this would be pretty silly oversight on Nikon's part...

Has anyone had the same issue and solved it creatively, e.g. by using a rubber eye cup from another brand? For example I nearly managed to fit the rubber eye cup from a 40 year old Canon A1, in the end it was out by 1 or 2mm...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GermaninLondon's gear list:GermaninLondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D7200 Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kazmarov Senior Member • Posts: 1,009
Re: re: Rubber eye cup on DK20c correction lens

You could have a look at the Hoodman HEYEN22C & check if its dimensions work with the 20C.

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 +10 more
DaveG16 Regular Member • Posts: 400
Re: re: Rubber eye cup on DK20c correction lens

Out of curiosity, I looked at some of the reviews of the diopter eyepiece -- lots of complaints about lacking an eye cup. But one review said that "the groove" on the DK20 -- suggesting it's one groove, not a couple, which is confusing since you say there are two -- is too narrow to accept the eye cup.

I'd suggest finding a way to widen the groove/grooves to the point where the original eye cup fits.

If you'd rather not DIY with a hobby knife or Dremel tool, and if you're truly in London, somewhere in that city will be a full-service jeweler with an engraver on staff. The engraver could easily widen the groove on the DK20. Possible problem: they're used to levying lots of euros for what they do.

Also somewhere in or around London will be a small machine shop, with the tools and expertise to re-groove the DK20. These have for the most part disappeared in the US, but UK / Europe should still have a goodly supply of them.

-- hide signature --

Dave G.
There are no real negatives in digital photography.

DaveG16's gear list:DaveG16's gear list
Nikon D5100
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,666
A sterling remark

DaveG16 wrote:

If you'd rather not DIY with a hobby knife or Dremel tool, and if you're truly in London, somewhere in that city will be a full-service jeweler with an engraver on staff. The engraver could easily widen the groove on the DK20. Possible problem: they're used to levying lots of euros for what they do.

Our UK currency is Sterling, not Euros. Thankfully we never entered the Eurozone and indeed are now out of the EEC as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads