Gimbals duel: FeiyuTech G6 Max 3 Vs. Zhiyun Crane M2

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Saint 112 Senior Member • Posts: 1,796
Gimbals duel: FeiyuTech G6 Max 3 Vs. Zhiyun Crane M2

Hi all

I am shopping for a compact cam and a gimbal for video shooting.

My camera shortlist is Sony ZV-1 Vs. Canon G7 X III but I didn't make up my mind so far.

For the Gimbal my short list is:

FeiyuTech G6 Max 3

It's my prefered one because

• it's compatible with a wider range of cameras, including the Sony ZV-1.
  • its max payload is 1.2Kg/2.65lb

Zhiyun Crane M2

Seems good but but

• it doesn't seem to be compatible with the Sony ZV-1.
  • its max payload is 720g/1.58lb only

Both weigh practically the same.

Do you have experience with either of them?

TIA

Nick

Saint 112's gear list:Saint 112's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ralph Encarnacion Senior Member • Posts: 2,321
Re: Gimbals duel: FeiyuTech G6 Max 3 Vs. Zhiyun Crane M2

I use the Crane M2 with my ZV-1 and it works just fine. I mainly got it because it is a small gimbal and easy to carry.

Ralph Encarnacion's gear list:Ralph Encarnacion's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 V Sony DSC-RX0 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +5 more
OP Saint 112 Senior Member • Posts: 1,796

Thanks for your input Ralph.

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

I use the Crane M2 with my ZV-1 and it works just fine.

I had conflicting info about this: on the company's site the CRANE-M2 Camera Compatibility List doen't include the ZV. But I saw people saying it's compatible.

Is it fully compatible: Take photos, start/stop recording video, zoom in/out?

I mainly got it because it is a small gimbal and easy to carry.

It seems to be quite good. Yet I am a little concerned about the red lever that's on top of the roll axis. Doesn't it block a little the view of the screen?

Do you connect with a USB cable or with BlueTooth?

Actually the only competitor is the FeiyuTech G6 Max 3.

Nick

Don’t quote me on this, but if I recall correctly, if you connect the ZV1-1 to the Crane M2 via WiFi, the screen dims. I think this is a Sony WiFi problem, not a Crane problem. I don’t know how the G6 connects, whether is Bluetooth or WiFi. But the way I use mine, i had bought the Sony vlogging tripod with the built in remote, so I screw the tripod to the bottom of the crane M2, and use that remote to control the camera, that way the screen doesn’t dim, and I can still zoom and record with the remote.

Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 V Sony DSC-RX0 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +5 more

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

Don’t quote me on this, but if I recall correctly, if you connect the ZV1-1 to the Crane M2 via WiFi, the screen dims. I think this is a Sony WiFi problem, not a Crane problem. I don’t know how the G6 connects, whether is Bluetooth or WiFi. But the way I use mine, i had bought the Sony vlogging tripod with the built in remote, so I screw the tripod to the bottom of the crane M2, and use that remote to control the camera, that way the screen doesn’t dim, and I can still zoom and record with the remote.

It seems a bit complicated and way too expensive.

I communicated during the night with FeiyuTech and they told me the G6 MAX now fully controls the ZV-1 but only by a USB cable. This is my prefered gimbal, in part because it has 50% more payload so it can take bigger mirroless cams.

Nick

Bluetooth cable is a lot better than wifi control, but USB remote works better than the bluetooth cable, since there is nothing to plug in, plus, I already had it.  But most of the time, I just press the record button on the camera. If you plan on using a bigger camera, I would get the G6 max. The M2 is tiny, but it is limited on the size of camera it can hold.

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

Bluetooth cable is a lot better than wifi control, but USB remote works better than the bluetooth cable, since there is nothing to plug in, plus, I already had it. But most of the time, I just press the record button on the camera. If you plan on using a bigger camera, I would get the G6 max. The M2 is tiny, but it is limited on the size of camera it can hold.

I would prefer a cableless connection but a cable is OK if it works well.

Have you experienced overheating issues with the ZV-1.

Nick

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,259

Saint 112 wrote:

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

Bluetooth cable is a lot better than wifi control, but USB remote works better than the bluetooth cable, since there is nothing to plug in, plus, I already had it. But most of the time, I just press the record button on the camera. If you plan on using a bigger camera, I would get the G6 max. The M2 is tiny, but it is limited on the size of camera it can hold.

I would prefer a cableless connection but a cable is OK if it works well.

Have you experienced overheating issues with the ZV-1.

Nick

I have shot lots of videos with the ZV-1, some posted in this forum, some in the Sony forum.

There is a setting in the menu that allows you to set the temperature limit to high. If you do that, no overheating issues. Be sure to do that. No harm to you or the camera.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more

Markr041 wrote:

I have shot lots of videos with the ZV-1, some posted in this forum, some in the Sony forum.

There is a setting in the menu that allows you to set the temperature limit to high. If you do that, no overheating issues. Be sure to do that. No harm to you or the camera.

OK, thanks for the tip.

Nick

I ordered and was delivered this week-end both the G6 Max 3 and the ZV-1. I did some tests with the latter with none yet with the former. I just unboxed it and looked around. The first impression is how well it seems to be put together. It's practically all metal. It feels heavier than I forsaw but it looks very sturdy.

I look forward to learning how to use it and do stuff with it.

Thanks for your input, folks.

Nick

Good deal. Hope you enjoy them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

Good deal. Hope you enjoy them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

OK, thanks. I will if necessary. I'll have little time this week so it's unlikely I'll start learning how to use it before the week-end. I found interesting tutos on Youtube. It seems quite straightforward.

For the ZV-1 I enjoyed a 18% promotion. So it was less expensive than its rival, the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III.

Nick

This week-end has been a disaster.

I downloaded the ON app on my smartphone. This was a very frustrating process. It's very confusing. The screen of their site is constantly clogged by ads. It took me several hours.

In the app the ZV-1 is not listed so I chose the RX100 IV just in case.

I made sure the ZV-1had WiFi and Bluethooth enabled, installed it on the gimbal, connected it with the USB cable, balanced it perfectly well, made sure all the axes were unlocked, and powered the gimbal on. It started vibrating and never stopped. None of the buttons responded. At one point it told me to unlock the axes. They were not locked. On the display both WiFi and Bluethooth were disabled. I had read somewhere it was a touch-screen but it didn't respond. How could I enable them with nothing responding? It was impossible to connect the smartphone to it. What to do?

I eventually gave up yesterday. I had spent most of the day on it and I was completely discouraged. I was wondering whether I was an idiot or the gimbal was faulty.

I gave it another try today. After several unsuccesful attemps the smartphone and the gimbal eventually connected. By miracle the Bleuthooth had been enabled. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade the firmware. I did it. Stuff seem to be on the right track, yet when I press the Shutter Button the cam screen displays: "Start movie shooting by pressing MOVIE". So the only way to start an stop shooting is by pressing the camera's button. It defeats the basic principle. The zoom doesn't work either.

It's very frustrating.

I saw a video on YouTube where the guy uses the same gears with no cable and everything seems to work.

Any clue?

Nick

Since at least basic features were functional I went out for a test. Following the very frustrating first steps I was expecting more gremlins to pop up. I was shocked: the gimbal works quite well.

• The stabilization is very efficient. I did the test in part riding my bicycle so the conditions were a little rocky but it doesn't show. While walking the result is excellent too.
  • The tilting is very smooth and progressive with the Multifunction Knob.
  • In the Pan Mode, panning manually is also very smooth.

If only I could have the shutter button and the zoom working.

I am very happy with the ZV-1's performances too: no rolling shutter, no distorsion, good dynamic range, good focus, good management of the exposure (when passing under a bridge for example it doesn't brutally and sharply over expose), etc.

Nick

StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 919

Generally I'd prefer Zhiyun over Feiyu. Wanted to buy Feiyu 2000 but after reading reviews chose DJI for full scale gimbal. I have Smooth 4 Zhiyun for iPhone and it works very well with iPhone

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more

This is why I use the Sony remote instead of the ones on the gimbal. It’s just easier.

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

This is why I use the Sony remote instead of the ones on the gimbal. It’s just easier.

How many hands have you got? I hold my gimbal with my left hand because I need the right one for other purposes. I can't hold one more device because, I am sorry to say so, I have only two.

There is on the gimbal a shutter button that's right within my thumb reach. I don't want to go anywhere else.

Nick

StoneJack wrote:

Generally I'd prefer Zhiyun over Feiyu. Wanted to buy Feiyu 2000 but after reading reviews chose DJI for full scale gimbal. I have Smooth 4 Zhiyun for iPhone and it works very well with iPhone

Now I bought the FeiyuTech G6 Max, so I'll have to do with it. I'm not shopping for a gimbal anymore.

Nick

Saint 112 wrote:

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

How many hands have you got? I hold my gimbal with my left hand because I need the right one for other purposes. I can't hold one more device because, I am sorry to say so, I have only two.

There is on the gimbal a shutter button that's right within my thumb reach. I don't want to go anywhere else.

Nick

I have the little tabletop tripod that is made for the ZV1. It has a built in remote control.  It screws to the bottom of any gimbal, so you dont need any extra hands. It is always on, so you don’t have to turn it on to use it. It has a movie button, a shutter button, and a zoom button on it. You can still hold the gimbal with one hand. It screws on to the bottom of any gimbal that has a tripod socket, and it also works with any Sony camera, and it doesn’t need a wire to connect it. I found using the gimbal controls a pain to use. The remote is a whole lot easier. Only problem is that the little tripod remote is pretty expensive, but I think a company in China came out with one just like it that is actually better, and a lot cheaper. the Chinese version has a remote that is removable, so you can use it without the little tripod. If I had to do it over, I would get the Chinese version. I’ll try to find the link and post it.

Ralph Encarnacion wrote:

I have the little tabletop tripod that is made for the ZV1. It has a built in remote control. It screws to the bottom of any gimbal, so you dont need any extra hands. It is always on, so you don’t have to turn it on to use it. It has a movie button, a shutter button, and a zoom button on it. You can still hold the gimbal with one hand. It screws on to the bottom of any gimbal that has a tripod socket, and it also works with any Sony camera, and it doesn’t need a wire to connect it. I found using the gimbal controls a pain to use. The remote is a whole lot easier. Only problem is that the little tripod remote is pretty expensive, but I think a company in China came out with one just like it that is actually better, and a lot cheaper. the Chinese version has a remote that is removable, so you can use it without the little tripod. If I had to do it over, I would get the Chinese version. I’ll try to find the link and post it.

This adds costs, weight, length, complication. I bought a gimbal with a remote control: an ON/OFF button is not the Holly Grail, it should be pretty straightforward. I just want it to work.

Nick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads