FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D? Locked

Started 10 months ago | Questions
This thread is locked.
ofquiet
ofquiet New Member • Posts: 18
FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

Hi,

I just updated the FTZ adapter firmware and it seems to have broken the autofocus on my 18-35mm Nikkor D lens? I'd been using the adapter with my Z6 & Z7 with no problem, I upgraded to the Z6ii and it required the firmware update. After the update autofocus doesn't work with the Z6ii or Z7. Has anyone else encountered this issue after the update? Thanks.

ofquiet's gear list:ofquiet's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic LX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D850 +15 more
ANSWER:
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EMs1950 Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

AF-D means that the autofocus of the lens is driven by a motor in the camera via the screwdriver coupling. An AF-D lens does not have its own motor for autofocus.
No Z camera has a motor for driving lenses. The FTZ adapter does not have a motor for driving AF-D lenses. Therefore, the autofocus of an AF-D lens can never have worked on an FTZ adapter. Neither before nor after the firmware update. Only manual focussing is possible with AF-D lenses and FTZ on Z-Nikons.

-- hide signature --

Best Regard
EMs1950

Cryhavoc38 Contributing Member • Posts: 609

ofquiet wrote:

Hi,

I just updated the FTZ adapter firmware and it seems to have broken the autofocus on my 18-35mm Nikkor D lens? I'd been using the adapter with my Z6 & Z7 with no problem, I upgraded to the Z6ii and it required the firmware update. After the update autofocus doesn't work with the Z6ii or Z7. Has anyone else encountered this issue after the update? Thanks.

You sure the lens is a D lens?

Those do not have auto focus motors in them and require a Nikon camera that has an auto focus motor in them. No Z series camera has an AF drive motor

The FTZ adapter does not have the AF motor in it either..which is something many of us are hoping that Nikon comes out with a new version of the adapter that does have an AF motor drive within it.

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,868

Just for the record, D does not mean no internal focus motor. Most D lenses don't have motors but some do. D means the lens communicates focus distance information with the camera.

But in this case it's true, the lens doesn't have an internal motor and won't autofocus on a Z.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 6,768

j_photo wrote:

Just for the record, D does not mean no internal focus motor. Most D lenses don't have motors but some do. D means the lens communicates focus distance information with the camera.

But in this case it's true, the lens doesn't have an internal motor and won't autofocus on a Z.

My 300mm f/4 is a D lens but also has an AFS motor, so it does AF on the Z cameras one of the few exceptions

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z fc +25 more
Boudewijn van der Drift
Boudewijn van der Drift Contributing Member • Posts: 995

mm assuming it is not about this lens needing a screwdriver AF.

It is entirely possible to revert to the former firmware.

Just pick it up on the Nikonsite and install it. Downdating as opposed to updating as it were.

Curious if that cures it.

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 9,125

ofquiet wrote:

Hi,

The lens you show in your gear list cannot AF with the FTZ, now or ever. Now if you have the AF-S version, that should work.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +26 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Cryhavoc38 Contributing Member • Posts: 609

I was referring to AF-D lenses not f/4 D lenses.

If there are AF-D lenses that have internal motors, I guess I have come across any yet.

I guess I assumed the op was talking about an AF-D lens. My bad.

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,868

Cryhavoc38 wrote:

If there are AF-D lenses that have internal motors, I guess I have come across any yet.

AF-D and D are the same thing. From Nikon's web site:

AF-D
Nikon introduced AF-D series lenses in 1996, while these lenses look similar to AF lenses they contained an encoding microchip that transmits focusing distance information to the camera body, this information is used to enhance the accuracy of the cameras exposure and flash metering systems. Cameras with advanced 3D matrix metering systems require AF-D compatible lenses to take full advantage of this technology. All current Nikon autofocus lenses transmit distance information to compatible cameras and are therefore AF-D compatible, AF-D lenses are recognised by the D designation marked on the lens as illustrated in the image below.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 9,652

Cryhavoc38 wrote:

What you have discovered is that the AF-D nomenclature is misleading. The 300/4 D is just as much a D lens as all the other D lenses, and there is more than a dozen D lenses that do have internal AF motors. The relevant categories are AF, AF-I, AF-S, AF-P, not "D or not D".

ofquiet wrote:

Hi,

The D version of that lens does not have an internal AF motor and has never focused on the FTZ, firmware or not firmware. The G version of the 18-35 does have an internal focus motor and does work.

I like Lenses
I like Lenses Regular Member • Posts: 295
AF-D

Since the AF-D discussion has started again, here is a useful resource:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenstype.html

• AF - Auto focus (1986)
  • Lens focused by motor in camera, 5 CPU contacts on lens mount.
  • D lens (1992) - Transmits focus Distance for improved flash metering.
  • AF-I (1992) - Telephoto with Integrated AF motor, 10 CPU contacts, manual override of AF.
  • AF-S (1996) - Similar to AF-I with improved Silent Wave motor.
 I like Lenses's gear list:I like Lenses's gear list
Sigma 200-500mm F2.8 EX DG

EMs1950 wrote:

AF-D means that the autofocus of the lens is driven by a motor in the camera via the screwdriver coupling.

No it doesn't.

An AF-D lens does not have its own motor for autofocus.

There is no such thing as "AF-D". There is AF, AF-I, AF-S, AF-P.

Re: AF-D

I like Lenses wrote:

Since the AF-D discussion has started again, here is a useful resource:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenstype.html

• AF - Auto focus (1986)
  • Lens focused by motor in camera, 5 CPU contacts on lens mount.
  • D lens (1992) - Transmits focus Distance for improved flash metering.
  • AF-I (1992) - Telephoto with Integrated AF motor, 10 CPU contacts, manual override of AF.
  • AF-S (1996) - Similar to AF-I with improved Silent Wave motor.

The point here is that D lenses can also be AF-I or AF-S lenses, with internal motors.

mobydick Contributing Member • Posts: 620

The point here is that D lenses can also be AF-I or AF-S lenses, with internal motors.

I don't know anything about AF-I, but my strong guess is that all AF-S lenses have distance encoders, so that they are in principle "D lenses". Most likely at some point the D designation was not any longer important for marketing because all lenses had it by default.

-- hide signature --

Wolfram

mobydick's gear list:mobydick's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +34 more

mobydick wrote:

I don't know anything about AF-I, but my strong guess is that all AF-S lenses have distance encoders, so that they are in principle "D lenses". Most likely at some point the D designation was not any longer important for marketing because all lenses had it by default.

That's right. All G lenses include the D functionality, but they are no longer called that (G lenses are D-type lenses that lack an aperture ring).

AF-D
Nikon introduced AF-D series lenses in 1996, while these lenses look similar to AF lenses they contained an encoding microchip that transmits focusing distance information to the camera body, this information is used to enhance the accuracy of the cameras exposure and flash metering systems. Cameras with advanced 3D matrix metering systems require AF-D compatible lenses to take full advantage of this technology. All current Nikon autofocus lenses transmit distance information to compatible cameras and are therefore AF-D compatible, AF-D lenses are recognised by the D designation marked on the lens as illustrated in the image below.

Since even Nikon themselves put it this way, I think it is justified to speak about AF-D lenses. These are the traditional screw-driven AF lenses which already contain a distance encoder.

See this webpage as source for the above quotation:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000026430&configured=1&lang=en_SG&sfdcIFrameOrigin=null

Here, even the abbreviation AF-G is introduced (without aperture ring, but not necessarily with internal AF motor). Does anyone know a G lens which still has screw-driven AF?

-- hide signature --

Wolfram

Nikon D7500 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +34 more

mobydick wrote:

AF-D

Since even Nikon themselves put it this way, I think it is justified to speak about AF-D lenses. These are the traditional screw-driven AF lenses which already contain a distance encoder.

No. That's not what it says above. D is about distance information. There are AF-S D lenses (marked with D on the lens, as your quote suggests) that obviously do have internal motors and do not rely on a screw drive.

Just how hard is it for people (in general) to type "this lens does not have an internal focus motor" (which provides all the information required) rather than "this lens is AF-D" (which is just lazy and possibly misleading)? Is it that people want to define things by a quality or label they have (D) rather than by something they lack (AF motor)?

See this webpage as source for the above quotation:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000026430&configured=1&lang=en_SG&sfdcIFrameOrigin=null

Here, even the abbreviation AF-G is introduced (without aperture ring, but not necessarily with internal AF motor). Does anyone know a G lens which still has screw-driven AF?

10.5 DX fisheye.

I guess that's my point. "D" is not informative:

There are lenses labelled "D" without internal motors.
There are lenses labelled "D" with internal motors.
There are lenses without D designation without internal motors (both pre-D and G).
There are lenses without D designation with internal motors.

The D designation, whether you use the "AF-D" short hand or not, does not provide any information on the way in which focus is achieved.

There are lenses without D designation without internal motors (both pre-D and G).

The D designation, whether you use the "AF-D" short hand or not, does not provide any information on the way in which focus is achieved.

Ok, after doing some additional small research on my own I am convinced by your argument. E.g., the 300/2.8 lens exists as AF-S lens with explicit D designation and also as AF-I lens with explicit D designation.

Thinking further: "G" seems to subsume "D", and "E" subsumes "G" (and "nothing" is before "D"). This naming scheme is orthogonal to the AF naming scheme: AF, AF-I, AF-S, AF-P

Some combinations of both factors exist, many don't:

• AF lenses (screw-drive) exist as "nothing", D and G.
  • AF-I lenses exist as D.
  • AF-S lenses exist as D, G, E.
  • AF-P lenses exist as G, E.

Have I missed anything?

-- hide signature --

Wolfram

mobydick wrote:

Ok, after doing some additional small research on my own I am convinced by your argument.

Good to hear.

E.g., the 300/2.8 lens exists as AF-S lens with explicit D designation and also as AF-I lens with explicit D designation.

Thinking further: "G" seems to subsume "D", and "E" subsumes "G" (and "nothing" is before "D").

Not sure about the technical details, but G is pretty much the same as D, except that the aperture ring has been removed (aperture setting now controlled by the camera but still using mechanical coupling), while E uses an entirely different way to control the aperture (electronic rather than mechanical).

This naming scheme is orthogonal to the AF naming scheme: AF, AF-I, AF-S, AF-P

Indeed. Orthogonal may be the right way to describe it.

Some combinations of both factors exist, many don't:

• AF lenses (screw-drive) exist as "nothing", D and G.
  • AF-I lenses exist as D.
  • AF-S lenses exist as D, G, E.
  • AF-P lenses exist as G.

Have I missed anything?

Not a lot: AF-P lenses also exist with E-type aperture (e.g. the 70-300 FX zoom).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads