Best way to export 4K video for web/social media?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
mrswitters Regular Member • Posts: 339
Best way to export 4K video for web/social media?

Total newbie here. I have a Fujifilm X-T4 and am shooting with the following format:

• 4k, 29.97, 200
  • Long Gop
  • H.265 (HEVC)

For web and social media (YouTube, Instagram, etc.), what's the best format/size to convert to? And what's the easiest way to do that on a Mac?

Thanks!

hunk
hunk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,399
Re: Best way to export 4K video for web/social media?

mrswitters wrote:

Total newbie here. I have a Fujifilm X-T4 and am shooting with the following format:

• 4k, 29.97, 200
  • Long Gop
  • H.265 (HEVC)

For web and social media (YouTube, Instagram, etc.), what's the best format/size to convert to? And what's the easiest way to do that on a Mac?

Thanks!

Best is to not convert. Let YouTube do this. Are you editing in iMovie? Just export as Apple devices 4K. 
But first, watch some video's about video settings in general. Learn why you should use 29.97fps with 1/60sec shutterspeed, buy a nd-filter, etc.
happy days

hunk's gear list:hunk's gear list
Olympus Stylus 725 SW Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 +10 more
Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

Are you editing the videos, and if so, what software are you using?

Here's an article that might be helpful, although, since technology moves quickly, it might not be completely up to date.

I think that every platform will recompress your video, no matter what codec you export.

If your videos are relatively short, and you have really fast internet, you could export your edited videos as ProRes, and YouTube will recompress them to AVC1, VP9, or AV1.

Keep the video as 4K, that way YouTube should assign it a higher bitrate than HD videos.

OP mrswitters Regular Member • Posts: 339

Thanks, everyone.

The issue is that I am sending the files to a social media contractor that helps my business, and she has trouble working with the really large 4K files. So, I was thinking I could convert them to a format and size that is more appropriate for where they will end up, which is typically Instagram and YouTube.

I'm on a Mac and I have iMovie and Quicktime built-in, of course. I would also be open to getting Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro if necessary, but that seems like overkill just to convert? I won't be doing much video editing on my own.

hunk

Many use HANDBRAKE to convert videofiles. Fast, reliable, free. This should work.

Olympus Stylus 725 SW Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 +10 more
NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,582

she has trouble working with the really large 4K files

You should ask her what she means by that.

Does she mean large files are a problem because of her internet connection?

Many of the other options can actually create larger files. Easier to edit but bigger.

Youtube has webpages describing what they'll accept plus there are countless videos on Youtube about the best settings but you really should be asking the editor what she wants. She can then output a YT ready file to upload.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,609

mrswitters wrote:

Thanks, everyone.

The issue is that I am sending the files to a social media contractor that helps my business, and she has trouble working with the really large 4K files.

What does this mean exactly???

What kind of trouble does she have? (Trouble downloading them? Trouble editing them? Running out of storage space?)

We need to know exactly what kind of trouble she is having.

My guess would be that she is having trouble with the h.265 codec of your X-T4. I would probably render them from Resolve as DNxHR or ProRes files and send them to her that way, but the size would increase since they are less compressed.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

Or CineForm.

Gary3000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,402

I'm kinda surprised the social media manager isn't capable of dealing with 4k, as that's the ideal size you'd want to upload to youtube if you're shooting 4k.

But if necessarily to keep data smaller,  you can probably "get by" converting to 1080.

as for Instagram, the social media manager should have the tools to convert to square format, which would be "ok" at 1080 as well.

Tho in the end it comes down to what format the media manager asks for.

Gary3000's gear list:Gary3000's gear list
Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6500 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S110 +14 more

Gary3000 wrote:

I'm kinda surprised the social media manager isn't capable of dealing with 4k, as that's the ideal size you'd want to upload to youtube if you're shooting 4k.

I was going to mention that originally, but I had already surpassed my sarcasm quota for the day, so I let it slide...

-- hide signature --

OP mrswitters Regular Member • Posts: 339

This is mostly for Instagram rather than YouTube. I ended up just opening in Quicktime and then exporting to 1080p with H.264. I shot the video originally in vertical format, so didn't have to crop. This reduced the file size from 6 GB to ~250 MB, and the quality still seemed good. Anything wrong with this approach?

hunk

mrswitters wrote:

This is mostly for Instagram rather than YouTube. I ended up just opening in Quicktime and then exporting to 1080p with H.264. I shot the video originally in vertical format, so didn't have to crop. This reduced the file size from 6 GB to ~250 MB, and the quality still seemed good. Anything wrong with this approach?

Good job. If it looks fine, it is fine. There is no point in sending 6GB files over the interwebs for an Insta post.
If you found a workflow, write it down for future use

mrswitters wrote:

If it works for your marketer, then it is fine.

Although maybe in the future you should just shoot in 1080p instead of 4K???

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads