New Ricoh GR IIIx with 40mm equiv

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
shadowplay84 Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: New Ricoh GR IIIx with 40mm equiv

I bought the GRIII and I really like It, but for street I prefer 40mm to 28mm... Thanks Ricoh!! Ahah! Now I Will Need to have both

shadowplay84's gear list:shadowplay84's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm X-T30 II +10 more
ViMa
ViMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,847

thelps wrote:

This has been posted on the EU Ricoh site.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/eu_en/ricoh-gr-iiix

Finally a wish come true for 40mm equivalent (26mm APSC) fans like me.

The rest of it seems to be same as regular GR III. Button layout the same.

Also check out that last image. That adapted lens looks like something new. The picture name is gt-2 so its likely a tele lens. 50mm or 60mm ?

I just cannot explain how exhilarated I am about this. I had originally bought the GR III not because of the 28mm FOV but because I wanted a small body with a prime lens. This was my only option. I grew to love that camera, but now I mostly take pictures of my 6month old. After 18 months of only having the GR III, I have learned to take some acceptable pictures even with the not so flattering 28mm equiv.

I have been dreaming of a 40 or 50mm equiv. GR. This is exactly what I want and need.

I was almost in despair lately. Bought an X-Pro3 with the 35mm f1.4 in order to take better pictures of my daughter etc. It just didn't work after having had the trusty GR on my side for so long.

Now everything looks and feels too big in my hands.

Being able to get a 40mm equiv in a Ricoh GR body is the dream come true. No more thoughts of second cameras. If anything, if I ever can afford it, I shall have a GR III and a GR IIIx. For now, I shall preorder the GR III x and hope they accept my X-Pro3 return with a full refund. If not, I'll sell it at a loss. The GR III x is just too good.

Anyone knows when it'll be released?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx
Strangefinder
Strangefinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

Strangefinder wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

If it has the same crop modes as regular GR III that would be 50mm at 15MP and 72mm at 7MP.

GT-2 adaptor apparently provides 75mm in the x1.25 crop mode, and presumably also has a bare 60mm mode and tighter crop of 105mm FOV

Exciting

Photo of the adaptor mounted to the GR IIIx:

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/1349/410/html/15.jpg.html

Along with other product shots.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
"If lies can begin wars then the truth can end them." Jx/xxn Xssxngx
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

ViMa

Strangefinder wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

If it has the same crop modes as regular GR III that would be 50mm at 15MP and 72mm at 7MP.

GT-2 adaptor apparently provides 75mm in the x1.25 crop mode, and presumably also has a bare 60mm mode and tighter crop of 105mm FOV

Exciting

I'm a bit confused about this.

*** The focal length when [Crop] is set to [50mm]. When [Crop] is set to [71mm], the equivalent focal length is 106 mm.

This is from the official webpage. Why would they advertise the FOV while the camera is in crop mode? Does it not work with the normal 40mm FOV because of something like vignetting?

Am I being daft?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,993

Hmm, one for each pocket. OK, count me in 

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T4 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +11 more
Strangefinder

ViMa wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Exciting

*** The focal length when [Crop] is set to [50mm]. When [Crop] is set to [71mm], the equivalent focal length is 106 mm.

This is from the official webpage. Why would they advertise the FOV while the camera is in crop mode? Does it not work with the normal 40mm FOV because of something like vignetting?

Am I being daft?

All will be revealed…

hopefully

No, you’re not being daft, we just don’t know anything, yet. Perhaps it will automatically lock in x1.25 mode in order to avoid vignetting/something since it’s got to be small. Kai’s video said it would be 75mm FOV, yet it clearly would be 60mm without crop modes if accessible.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

ViMa

Strangefinder wrote:

ViMa wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Exciting

Am I being daft?

All will be revealed…

hopefully

No, you’re not being daft, we just don’t know anything, yet. Perhaps it will automatically lock in x1.25 mode in order to avoid vignetting/something since it’s got to be small. Kai’s video said it would be 75mm FOV, yet it clearly would be 60mm without crop modes if accessible.

My initial thought was of pre-ordering it as well. Judging by your excitement at this camera announcement, I assume you understand mine!

But then I remembered why I have always avoided the wide conversion lens, why I disliked both conversion lenses in the X100F etc.

Sure, having also a 75mm and even a 100~mm equiv. in such a small package is great.

But I'm trying to picture myself walking around a city (whether my own or when travelling) with the camera in my right hand and a conversion lens in a pocket. I suddenly see something that would greatly benefit from the extra reach. Stop in my tracks (while my wife is making grumpy noises), remove the ring from the GRIIIx. Pray it does not get lost as my OCD will go crazy. Take the conversion lens out from my pocket. Presumably that will have a lens cap on - ideally on both ends, but if that is so, then I need to have the adapter separate, right? Let's say it's with the adapter and no back lens cap, for convenience. Put the conversion lens on. Remove the cap. Take the picture. Now, I don't really need the extra reach anymore. Put the cap back on. Remove the conversion lens. Put it back in my pocket. Now it's time to look for the ring I have hopefully not lost. Back to normal.

Sure, I'm caricaturising the situation a bit, but unless I more or less permanently went around with the conversion lens on (which would kind of make the camera funny and big), it feels like far too much of a hassle.

On the other hand, 40mm is just perfect! Need a bit more? Crop! The other day I realised how much resolution 24MP is. I could print a 7mp picture in acceptable quality at quite a big size for my needs (not that I have printed more than a handful of pictures in my life). Wouldn't that digital 72mm be enough?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

Strangefinder

ViMa wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

ViMa wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Exciting

Am I being daft?

All will be revealed…

hopefully

My initial thought was of pre-ordering it as well. Judging by your excitement at this camera announcement, I assume you understand mine!

Yeah, this makes more sense to me than 28mm for truly incidental shots.

But then I remembered why I have always avoided the wide conversion lens, why I disliked both conversion lenses in the X100F etc.

Sure, having also a 75mm and even a 100~mm equiv. in such a small package is great.

Until now, the only longer options with leaf shutter have been the Sigma DP3M/Q and the X100 TCL 50mm FOV, so I’m pleased to see that they didn’t overlook the opportunity.

I started photography with 75mm FOV with a Voigtländer, and later the X-Pro1 with XF27 was my incidental mode, so these two perspectives appeal to me.

But I'm trying to picture myself walking around a city (whether my own or when travelling) with the camera in my right hand and a conversion lens in a pocket.

Definitely. This TCL would suit guerrilla fashion or portraiture in tandem with the leaf shutter. A more intentional mode, though still agile and potentially spontaneous.

I suddenly see something that would greatly benefit from the extra reach. Stop in my tracks (while my wife is making grumpy noises),

Oh no… the dread grump 0_o

remove the ring from the GRIIIx. Pray it does not get lost as my OCD will go crazy. Take the conversion lens out from my pocket. Presumably that will have a lens cap on - ideally on both ends, but if that is so, then I need to have the adapter separate, right? Let's say it's with the adapter and no back lens cap, for convenience. Put the conversion lens on. Remove the cap. Take the picture.

Yeah, I’d have it on for the day, and only change if there was a reason to.

Now, I don't really need the extra reach anymore. Put the cap back on. Remove the conversion lens. Put it back in my pocket. Now it's time to look for the ring I have hopefully not lost. Back to normal.

Sure, I'm caricaturising the situation a bit,

I like it

but unless I more or less permanently went around with the conversion lens on (which would kind of make the camera funny and big), it feels like far too much of a hassle.

On the other hand, 40mm is just perfect! Need a bit more? Crop! The other day I realised how much resolution 24MP is. I could print a 7mp picture in acceptable quality at quite a big size for my needs (not that I have printed more than a handful of pictures in my life). Wouldn't that digital 72mm be enough?

I’m looking forward to seeing how people adapt and experiment:)

-- hide signature --

telemach Contributing Member • Posts: 686
Delayed the release of GR IV

Great we have new one in line but it strangely seems like Ricoh will use it to reset the clock and delay the release of 28mm GR IV. I would love to see release of GRIIIx and GRIV in the same time and not a smoke screen like with GRII when they released something to delay major release.

forest dream Senior Member • Posts: 1,779
Re: Delayed the release of GR IV

telemach wrote:

Great we have new one in line but it strangely seems like Ricoh will use it to reset the clock and delay the release of 28mm GR IV. I would love to see release of GRIIIx and GRIV in the same time and not a smoke screen like with GRII when they released something to delay major release.

Glad for hear GRIIIx - more focal length options.

Sad to hear GRIIIx didn't fix or improve anything except replace with new focal length lens.

Really wish :

• GRIIIx replace with Sony IMX571 (back-illuminated sensor used by Fujiflm X-T30/X100V).

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/camera/product.html

• Sony IMX571 back-illuminated sensor has better dynamic range
  • Upgrade faster processor from Soncionext for better AF. Pentax purchased processor from Soncionext, not design own processor.

https://www.socionext.com/en/products/assp/milbeaut/digital/

• WR body
  • Cheap China's AMOLED screen which more thin and has wider view angle as 180 degree flip up screen.
  • Similar to Sigma fp (compact FF with WR), heatsink between LCD and camera body. Since AMOLED more thin, it didn't increase camera body screen much.
phouphou Contributing Member • Posts: 682
video from Kai and Lok

its great news!

Kind of impressed they crammed a 26.1mmf2.8 into it w/o making it noticebaly bigger (Take that Fuji!)

video from Kai and Lok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_TFBDr1WM

phouphou's gear list:phouphou's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +12 more
Headforthehills Forum Member • Posts: 96

Ordered - that 28/40mm camera combination is going to be perfect.

For city travel, I might drift towards keeping the  21mm converter on the GR III and mainly using the 40m GR IIIx

I've been waiting a long time for this

telemach wrote:

The whole APS-C world is waiting for a Sony 43 Mp sensor next year.

Happy Ricoh is still alive and can ship the IIIx without delay

maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,478

This is great news and puts my xe3 and 27 2.8 under threat. Who im kidding, if i get the gr iiix i cant see a reason to keep the 27 2.8.
I like that they have allready let us know the griii will get a firmware update.
Not sure on the tc and buying another adapter..as i dont use the griii gw4 much but options are good.
I think a griii and griiix could be a great travel combo.

forest dream Senior Member • Posts: 1,779

Headforthehills wrote:

telemach wrote:

Beside new Sony 43MP stacked sensor, wish Ricoh release GRIIIs which has better processor for less warm and better AF performance.

If Ricoh release pricey GRIV Pro with Sony 43MP stacked sensor. Please release more affordable GRIV version via Fujiflm 26MP sensor (Sony IMX571) which has dual gain/native ISO for better low light performance.

JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 363

Wow—I'm blown away by this news. It's 5am where I am and it woke me up more than my coffee!

I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, 40mm is my favorite field of view—I am a huge fan of the Fuji 27mm lens. It really is a Goldilocks focal length. This is a great essay about it: “Why 40mm?

On the other hand, I just went on a backpacking trip where I used the GR III as my only camera. The 28mm focal length was just perfect for landscapes. One thing I like about it is that the wide FOV enables a kind of casual snapshot shooting. Just raise the camera, mash the button, and you can fix the framing in post. With a tighter lens and no viewfinder, that may be harder. And while I love the GR's razor-sharp lens, I've never liked using it for tighter portraits of a person; I prefer a softer, kinder rendering for portraits, like what I get from the Fuji 35 f/1.4. The kit ViMa wrote about above—X-Pro3 + 35 f/1.4—is my absolute favorite camera in the world.

Oof. A dilemma! Is the GR III its best self at 28mm? Maybe—but I could see selling my GR III *and* X100V and replacing them both with the new IIIx .... !

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2
Mcmx Junior Member • Posts: 38

This is a serious threat to my Fuji-X gear, which I just can‘t be bothered carrying around anymore. Not sure if it‘s just a phase, but the portability of the GR is THE killer feature for me. Even my Merrill seems too big now.

Strangefinder
ATTN Godox Re: New Ricoh GR IIIx with 40mm equiv

thelps wrote:

I've always bought the wide converter lenses but missed getting the original GT-1 back in my GRD II days.

This GT-2 will open up some new interesting street and other tele portraits. Hopefully the IBIS will function well enough with it when the GT-2 is used.

I am guessing the GR IIIX + GT-2 is a tad smaller than say a Fuji XE-4 with 50mm tele but the GR IIIx gives the option for us that like to travel light.

I wonder if there will be some kind of optical Viewfinder to use with the GT-2 at some point a GV-3 or other ?

So the teleconverter adaptor (GA-2) with 75mm FOV auto-crop will be comparable to a wider 4/3 or Fuji sportsfinder mode of x1.9, and the double-crop of 107mm FOV will be similar to 1" sensors at x2.7 Stabilising that length from a compact may be the main basis for the cropping - though perhaps they can still use the outer area for AF orientation, too.

A Godox trigger would be super-handy for this range and the leaf.
Does Ricoh’s protocol match Nikon’s or is it their own? (Sigma/Zeiss, Ricoh and Leica don’t make it easy!)

Ricoh GR IIIx (40mm FOV, x1.5 aps-c) with GA-2 (75mm FOV, x1.9 punch-in crop, or 107mm FOV, x2.7, 1-inch dive-in double-crop)

-- hide signature --

forest dream wrote:

Headforthehills wrote:

telemach wrote:

Beside new Sony 43MP stacked sensor, wish Ricoh release GRIIIs which has better processor for less warm and better AF performance.

If Ricoh release pricey GRIV Pro with Sony 43MP stacked sensor. Please release more affordable GRIV version via Fujiflm 26MP sensor (Sony IMX571) which has dual gain/native ISO for better low light performance.

Lok's youtube shows miserable video focus and stabilization from the GRIIIx , so a faster processor would be definitely be required for the next generation. I suspect Ricoh did not have the budget for that R&D this time around, but growing GR sales should release development funds.

Re: ATTN Godox Re: New Ricoh GR IIIx with 40mm equiv

Strangefinder wrote:

thelps wrote:

I've always bought the wide converter lenses but missed getting the original GT-1 back in my GRD II days.

This GT-2 will open up some new interesting street and other tele portraits. Hopefully the IBIS will function well enough with it when the GT-2 is used.

I am guessing the GR IIIX + GT-2 is a tad smaller than say a Fuji XE-4 with 50mm tele but the GR IIIx gives the option for us that like to travel light.

I wonder if there will be some kind of optical Viewfinder to use with the GT-2 at some point a GV-3 or other ?

So the teleconverter adaptor (GA-2) with 75mm FOV auto-crop will be comparable to a wider 4/3 or Fuji sportsfinder mode of x1.9, and the double-crop of 107mm FOV will be similar to 1" sensors at x2.7 Stabilising that length from a compact may be the main basis for the cropping - though perhaps they can still use the outer area for AF orientation, too.

A Godox trigger would be super-handy for this range and the leaf.
Does Ricoh’s protocol match Nikon’s or is it their own? (Sigma/Zeiss, Ricoh and Leica don’t make it easy!)

Ricoh GR IIIx (40mm FOV, x1.5 aps-c) with GA-2 (75mm FOV, x1.9 punch-in crop, or 107mm FOV, x2.7, 1-inch dive-in double-crop)

Is the tele-converter soft at the edges ? they seem to avoid mentioning 60mm; native 40mm x 1.5

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads