Perpignan photojournalism exhibition

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,800
Perpignan photojournalism exhibition

Hi,

I was in Perpignan for the exhibition called "Visa pour l'image", dedicated to photojournalism.

Lots of excellent pictures there. But very difficult to stand, since most of the photos are about war, injustice, and disasters. Afghanistan, Syria, India, Haiti, Palestine,...

The exhibitions are presented in several locations, the main one being a former convent.

I was very impressed by Eric Bouvet, a war reporter who did a very impressive job.

What's interesting is the story behind each photo.

Sorry, only the french text is entirely visible, and you can see the reflections of the light. No way to avoid that.

Another report impressed me a lot, about gun ownership in the USA.

I know that most of the subscribers to dpreview are Americans. So I will not comment on these pictures, because I don't want to start a debate. I will just say that this is totally unimaginable in Europe.

Something completely different: I've seen there the most incredible pictures of wildlife by a photographer called Vincent Munier.

Can you spot the panther?

Another one:

I walked a lot in Perpignan. We were located not far from the gypsy district. It's a very special place, where the rules are completely different from what I'm used to.

Every day, the streets are cleaned early in the morning. At noon, they already are full of garbage. At night, people stay in the middle of the street. You cannot drive there.

People are poor, but nice. You don't understand their langage, but they understand french. These streets are secure, and we were not afraid to walk around at night.

Well, it's a different culture...

To change the atmosphere, I went to Elne, a small medieval village nearby, with an interesting cathedral.

Here are some pictures:

detail of the cloister columns

Not bad for iso 5600...

strange lights in the cathedral. Looks like a human face, depending on how you see it.

That's all. All pictures shot raw, processed with DxO PL4.

Important:  I solved the problem of the 6.7-13 "auto-on" flaw. To avoid the lens to put the camera "on" simply by touching it, I leave the lens out. I don't retract it. And then, the problem disappears. Good to know.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,018
Re: Perpignan photojournalism exhibition

Thanks for posting these. A very interesting collection of photos. I would enjoy seeing these on display and spending time studying them up close.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,748

Your travel pictures are always enjoyable, the added information and history adds to the interest. Thanks for posting this fascinating piece of local life.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

WPMChan Senior Member • Posts: 1,321

Very nice.

I like photos with stories behind them.

Your photo of ISO 5600 is really impressive.

André BARELIER
OP André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,800

RichDitch wrote:

Thanks for posting these. A very interesting collection of photos. I would enjoy seeing these on display and spending time studying them up close.

Thank you Richard.

J5 + 6.7-13 + DxO PL4 = a traveller's dream!

-- hide signature --

André

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER

Miss tilly wrote:

Your travel pictures are always enjoyable, the added information and history adds to the interest. Thanks for posting this fascinating piece of local life.

Thanks Gary. Glad you liked the pictures and the story behind.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER

WPMChan wrote:

Very nice.

I like photos with stories behind them.

Your photo of ISO 5600 is really impressive.

Thank you.

As I wrote above, J5 + 6.7-13 + DxO PL4= amazing results (for me) 

-- hide signature --

André

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,382

Thank you  - another very interesting set.  Photographing pictures behind glass always tricky but you have got some pretty clear ones there.

I like the first cavernous interior and the night/early morning shot of the street in Perpignan especially.

André BARELIER

rich_cx139 wrote:

Thank you - another very interesting set. Photographing pictures behind glass always tricky but you have got some pretty clear ones there.

I like the first cavernous interior and the night/early morning shot of the street in Perpignan especially.

Thank you Richard. The street view was shot at night.

-- hide signature --

André

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,131

Congratulations Andre on another nice set of photos from a region of France many of us in North America are unfamiliar with. I had to look up Perpignan, Elne on a map. In the process discovered I learned it was part of the Kingdom of Majorca with a blend of Catalan and French culture. I bet the cuisine was fantastic.

On the topic of photojournalism I wonder if it will survive the ongoing consolidation in media. A common fact cited is that forty years ago American media was owned by 50 companies. Today, this number has shrunk to just six! Trend is perhaps similar in the French media?

Your description of morning street cleaning in Perpignan's gypsy district is what I observed in India.

Oh, yes, I did spot the panther

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
PORTRAIT
PORTRAIT Senior Member • Posts: 2,981

Wonderful stories Andre’ ! And as usual amazing interesting places from the part of the South France ( I would love to visit, I never went south of Cannes No Europe for for me this Year due to  COVID 19 restrictions that are still in place,  but hopefully next year, I’ll be able to return to Italy to visit family and relatives

Thanks for sharing

Marco

-- hide signature --

Photography= Art & Tech.
Marco Images© All Rights Reserved.
Please do not use them without prior permission.
https://photos.google.com/albums

PORTRAIT's gear list:PORTRAIT's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Fujifilm XQ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +7 more
André BARELIER

Sangster wrote:

Congratulations Andre on another nice set of photos from a region of France many of us in North America are unfamiliar with. I had to look up Perpignan, Elne on a map. In the process discovered I learned it was part of the Kingdom of Majorca with a blend of Catalan and French culture. I bet the cuisine was fantastic.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, Perpignan was part of the kingdom of Mallorca. And you know what? I'm writing this post from...Palma de Mallorca. We're staying here for one week with friends and our motorbikes. I'll post some pictures when I'm back.

On the topic of photojournalism I wonder if it will survive the ongoing consolidation in media. A common fact cited is that forty years ago American media was owned by 50 companies. Today, this number has shrunk to just six! Trend is perhaps similar in the French media?

Unfortunately, yes: same in France. That's really regrettable

Your description of morning street cleaning in Perpignan's gypsy district is what I observed in India.

Yes, I went in India too, some years ago, and observed the same behavior. And yet, I was in Kerala, not the poorest state in India.

Oh, yes, I did spot the panther

Congratulations. I didn't at first.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER

PORTRAIT wrote:

Wonderful stories Andre’ ! And as usual amazing interesting places from the part of the South France ( I would love to visit, I never went south of Cannes No Europe for for me this Year due to COVID 19 restrictions that are still in place, but hopefully next year, I’ll be able to return to Italy to visit family and relatives

Thanks for sharing

Marco

Thanks Marco. I hope you'll be a le to go to Italy soon. It's, by far, my preferred European country. I love it.

-- hide signature --

André

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,488

A few times we experience things that we forget to document in a proper way, like your fantastic trip to Perpignan! Seen a similar expo in Amsterdam, in a gigantic cathedral turned into an exhibition hall. Many horrid pictures at that time, too.

I have a train-driver friend, Jean-Pierre, whose mom was French (she passed away a long time ago — I never met her), but therefore my friend has relatives here and there in France and French-speaking parts of Switzerland.
His mother was born on the south side of the Massif Central, in a very small town whose name I've forgotten (it was over 40 years ago now), and there were still relatives there. A cousin who was raised in Perpignan, travelled with us to Bern, where she lives normally.

She had visited some relatives in Sweden and tagged along with us on the way south, so we went both to Perpignan and Bern, on our little New Year's trip through Europe.

We passed the Swiss border at midnight new year's Eve exactly, and the Customs were surly, and very thorough. But as they noticed that one in the WV bus was Swiss things got much smoother. The Custom guys immediately switched to smiles and Switzerdutch and greeted their lost daughter welcome back home. We dropped her off in Zürich, to stay with her parents and siblings for a few days. And we did a tour around town the next day, and visited the famous castle.
Then we collected some inherited furniture, hundreds of years old, in that little town I mentioned before, went to Perpignan, visited the aunt, stayed a day or two, before heading towards Zürich and pick up the girl. I must say I love Perpignan!
In addition to all that (and that the house next door to our hotel in Strasbourg burned down during the night) we had snow chaos in the Alps, cars skidding this way and that way, and we had the densest fog I ever have encountered on the way back to the ferry in Kiel, but it was the pedal to the metal or we'd miss the connection (Crazy, but we were young). 
Eventually, we were home but now we had problems with the Customs (took many hours before they let us go, they even partly disassembled the bus, they even called in detectives, and so on. Very weird as none of us used or smoked anything.

Come to think about it they didn't ask a thing about the very old furniture, by the way. Probably should have been taxed, as we were then not part of the EU)! 
What we do when we are young (like driving almost over 20 hours in a row), and how amazing it would have been to have proper photo documentation of it all. Alas, I think all has been lost through the years of staying alive!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more

That is one heck of a road trip adventure story. I imagine back in the day, before the Schengen area came into being, you guys must have had to cross many border checkpoints.

-- hide signature --

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Tord S Eriksson

Sangster wrote:

That is one heck of a road trip adventure story. I imagine back in the day, before the Schengen area came into being, you guys must have had to cross many border checkpoints.

Yeah, I think that was six or seven in all, the one at Cern (the accelerator site on the border between Germany, France, and Switzerland) being very special, with lots of heavy machine guns.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

Sangster wrote:

The only border area I have visited where I saw heavy machine guns and sandbags was in the mountain passes of Xinjiang bordering "the stans". I think we were within 200km of the pass into Afghanistan's Wakhan Corridor. Of course, I dare not take photos:-)

-- hide signature --

André BARELIER

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

A few times we experience things that we forget to document in a proper way, like your fantastic trip to Perpignan! Seen a similar expo in Amsterdam, in a gigantic cathedral turned into an exhibition hall. Many horrid pictures at that time, too.

I have a train-driver friend, Jean-Pierre, whose mom was French (she passed away a long time ago — I never met her), but therefore my friend has relatives here and there in France and French-speaking parts of Switzerland.
His mother was born on the south side of the Massif Central, in a very small town whose name I've forgotten (it was over 40 years ago now), and there were still relatives there. A cousin who was raised in Perpignan, travelled with us to Bern, where she lives normally.

She had visited some relatives in Sweden and tagged along with us on the way south, so we went both to Perpignan and Bern, on our little New Year's trip through Europe.

We passed the Swiss border at midnight new year's Eve exactly, and the Customs were surly, and very thorough. But as they noticed that one in the WV bus was Swiss things got much smoother. The Custom guys immediately switched to smiles and Switzerdutch and greeted their lost daughter welcome back home. We dropped her off in Zürich, to stay with her parents and siblings for a few days. And we did a tour around town the next day, and visited the famous castle.
Then we collected some inherited furniture, hundreds of years old, in that little town I mentioned before, went to Perpignan, visited the aunt, stayed a day or two, before heading towards Zürich and pick up the girl. I must say I love Perpignan!
In addition to all that (and that the house next door to our hotel in Strasbourg burned down during the night) we had snow chaos in the Alps, cars skidding this way and that way, and we had the densest fog I ever have encountered on the way back to the ferry in Kiel, but it was the pedal to the metal or we'd miss the connection (Crazy, but we were young).
Eventually, we were home but now we had problems with the Customs (took many hours before they let us go, they even partly disassembled the bus, they even called in detectives, and so on. Very weird as none of us used or smoked anything.

Come to think about it they didn't ask a thing about the very old furniture, by the way. Probably should have been taxed, as we were then not part of the EU)!
What we do when we are young (like driving almost over 20 hours in a row), and how amazing it would have been to have proper photo documentation of it all. Alas, I think all has been lost through the years of staying alive!

Memories.... What I do now is to make albums. Then I send my pictures to an online printing service. So that, from time to time, I can have a look, and remember the places I visited, and...the food 😀😀😀

-- hide signature --

André

RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,018

André BARELIER wrote:

Memories.... What I do now is to make albums. Then I send my pictures to an online printing service. So that, from time to time, I can have a look, and remember the places I visited, and...the food 😀😀😀

I am content with having digital versions of what I shoot, and I keep most things grouped by subject in folders on my iMac. But my wife Carol prefers prints and likes to put them in albums to review in her own time and manner. So at times I need to do a run of prints for her to put in her own albums.

I ended up in a major project for Carol and her family, collecting a lot of old family prints, making scans of most of them, and doing a lot of photoshop work to repair them. Some of the photos came to me as cell phone shots of curled photos, and even those worked out with the tools now available in PS.

When that work was done I standardized on 4"x6" prints. I uploaded the digital files to Walmart's photo service, then had them printed out wherever the relatives were located so they could pick up a package of finished photos. Its turned out to be a lot of fun, it was very inexpensive getting prints this way, and a lot more convenient than printing at home or locally and then shipping them off across the country.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Tord S Eriksson

Sangster wrote:

Sangster wrote:

The only border area I have visited where I saw heavy machine guns and sandbags was in the mountain passes of Xinjiang bordering "the stans". I think we were within 200km of the pass into Afghanistan's Wakhan Corridor. Of course, I dare not take photos:-)

I guess they were after something special, almost all armed with 'Schmeissers' and MG3s, but they took no notice of cars from outside the EU, like ours.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads