Are these NOSS satellites?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
starman1969
starman1969 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,425
Are these NOSS satellites?

Spotted these bright streaks on an image & when I looked up I could clearly see two moving objects, which faded not long after. Couldn't check Heavens Above at the time, so I kinda guessed they might be NOSS satellites.

-- hide signature --

Steve

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
nighthiker Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: Are these NOSS satellites?

Hi!

Sorry, but I'm not an expert in that topic, but what about Stellarium? You can add an extra catalogue with satellites. Just put in your location and the time and see if you can identify them.

mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,345

Does this belong to 'astrophotography' ?
Artificial satellites are not astronomical objects but rather sky polluters.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d ... r6

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more

mermaidkiller wrote:

Is there a strict definition of 'astrophotography'?

I don't like satellites neither, but they have become - unfortunately - a reality of the night sky.

starman1969
OP starman1969 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,425

mermaidkiller wrote:

Sounds a bit pedantic. First time I’ve posted on here in ages & this is what I get 🤷‍♀️

-- hide signature --

Steve

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more

nighthiker wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

I don't like satellites neither, but they have become - unfortunately - a reality of the night sky.

Then we consider overflying airplanes also as part of the night sky. Or sky beamers at events.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d ... r6

Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more

mermaidkiller wrote:

nighthiker wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

Then we consider overflying airplanes also as part of the night sky. Or sky beamers at events.

Yipp, they are all part of the night sky today (if we like it or not).

I'm just thinking of that group of ISS and satellite hunters, is that astrophotography or not? I don't mind ...

The first picture of this thread is definitely astrophotography, so this thread is correct in this forum.

W5JCK
W5JCK Veteran Member • Posts: 3,816

mermaidkiller wrote:

nighthiker wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

Chill out dude! Starman has been around this forum a helluva a lot longer than you, and he has posted a large number of AP photos over the years. The world doesn’t revolve around you, nor do you get to tell us what is appropriate for this forum or not.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Jack
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAfQN-Ygh9z7qqUXdZWM-1Q
Flickr Meteor Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackswinden/albums/72157710069567721
Sony RX100M3, a6000, and a7

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +11 more

W5JCK wrote:

Chill out dude! Starman has been around this forum a helluva a lot longer than you, and he has posted a large number of AP photos over the years. The world doesn’t revolve around you, nor do you get to tell us what is appropriate for this forum or not.

That is true, there are moderators for that and I am not, but I was just wondering that pictures of non astronomical items are posted here. Nothing wrong about satellite photography when people like it, I was just wondering. That's all.

-- hide signature --

swimswithtrout Veteran Member • Posts: 3,951

mermaidkiller wrote:

W5JCK wrote:

That is true, there are moderators for that and I am not, but I was just wondering that pictures of non astronomical items are posted here. Nothing wrong about satellite photography when people like it, I was just wondering. That's all.

I don't feel that "nightscapes" are astrophotography....but I don't complain about it.

That is certainly a good possibility. Another would be a supply ship docking/undocking from the ISS.

The one time I saw one, it was a triplet that flared to about mag -2...I definitely ran to do some research as it was the most "UFO" ufo I'd ever seen.

CharlesPhillips
CharlesPhillips Forum Member • Posts: 91

starman1969 wrote:

Spotted these bright streaks on an image & when I looked up I could clearly see two moving objects, which faded not long after. Couldn't check Heavens Above at the time, so I kinda guessed they might be NOSS satellites.

I track NOSS satellites and do not understand your images. Is that two streaks going up and then two coming back down along the same path? The NOSS satellites do fly like those - B is a little in front of A.

Here are (in the top left) two verified NOSS satellites - USA 228 and the associated "debris". They are pretty dim in this photo!

-- hide signature --

Charles
Software Writer, Orbital Mechanics Guy, Amateur Astronomer

CharlesPhillips's gear list:CharlesPhillips's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H300 Nikon D200 +2 more
Andy01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,704

mermaidkiller wrote:

Really ?

I think the OP was asking IF they were NOSS satellites, which is perfectly valid.

My interpretation was that he was not posting these images as stand-out examples of astrophotography - but perhaps I misunderstood the fairly simple question.

I would guess that his preference might be to not see these moving objects in his photos ?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more

CharlesPhillips wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

I track NOSS satellites and do not understand your images. Is that two streaks going up and then two coming back down along the same path? The NOSS satellites do fly like those - B is a little in front of A.

Here are (in the top left) two verified NOSS satellites - USA 228 and the associated "debris". They are pretty dim in this photo!

They are moving in the same direction....It looks like two photos on either side of a flare, with the second taken after the peak flare as they fade away.

Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

starman1969 wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

Sounds a bit pedantic. First time I’ve posted on here in ages & this is what I get 🤷‍♀️

Yeah. That happens.

Steve, it's good to see you back again.

Those are interesting shots. I had never heard of the NOSS satellites and their co-orbiting nature. Given their purpose, they make sense.

At NASA we flew what is called the A-Train, a train of Earth environmental satellites all relatively close together (equator crossing times spread out by seconds to minutes). The satellites are OCO-2, GCOM-W1, Aqua, CALIPSO, CloudSat and Aura. By passing over targets close together in time they allow synergistic measurements of Earth weather by widely different sensors.

They are in Sun synchronous orbits with equator crossing times around 1:30 AM & PM. Fortunately they are in high orbits, so they can be seen from moderately high latitudes such as yours. Heavens Above shows nightly passes between 3:30  and 4:30 AM at magnitude 4 or so for the brightest. In my more mid-latitude location they are much dimmer (6th magnitude) and lower in the sky.

I wonder if anybody has captured them. NASA might like an image for their Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
CharlesPhillips

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

Yeah. That happens.

Those are interesting shots. I had never heard of the NOSS satellites and their co-orbiting nature. Given their purpose, they make sense.

At NASA we flew what is called the A-Train, a train of Earth environmental satellites all relatively close together (equator crossing times spread out by seconds to minutes). The satellites are OCO-2, GCOM-W1, Aqua, CALIPSO, CloudSat and Aura. By passing over targets close together in time they allow synergistic measurements of Earth weather by widely different sensors.

They are in Sun synchronous orbits with equator crossing times around 1:30 AM & PM. Fortunately they are in high orbits, so they can be seen from moderately high latitudes such as yours. Heavens Above shows nightly passes between 3:30 and 4:30 AM at magnitude 4 or so for the brightest. In my more mid-latitude location they are much dimmer (6th magnitude) and lower in the sky.

I wonder if anybody has captured them. NASA might like an image for their Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

The amateur community doesn't track them because they are well documented in the Satellite Catalog, but I will try to get a photo or two when the weather improves here in Houston, Texas. They should be easy to photograph. I have photographed the DMSP and NOAA POES satellites (just for practice).

-- hide signature --

Charles

Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

CharlesPhillips wrote:

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

<snip>

The amateur community doesn't track them because they are well documented in the Satellite Catalog, but I will try to get a photo or two when the weather improves here in Houston, Texas. They should be easy to photograph. I have photographed the DMSP and NOAA POES satellites (just for practice).

That would be great! I assumed that they would be hard to capture except at high latitudes due to the 1:30 AM equator crossing time. The project, if not APOD, will appreciate the shot.

The "A-Train" name is classic NASA. It is factually based, with an attached cultural reference. It is officialy called the A-train because there is a series of satellites passing overhead in he early Afternoon, like a train. The cultural reference is to Duke Ellington's great jazz piece from 1939, "Take the A-Train", which in turn refers to a subway line in New York City. The line ran from Brooklyn to Harlem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2w2m1JmCY

A bit of NASA trivia and American social and cultural history. I hope it is not too far off topic.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
CharlesPhillips

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

CharlesPhillips wrote:

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

<snip>

That would be great! I assumed that they would be hard to capture except at high latitudes due to the 1:30 AM equator crossing time. The project, if not APOD, will appreciate the shot.

The "A-Train" name is classic NASA. It is factually based, with an attached cultural reference. It is officialy called the A-train because there is a series of satellites passing overhead in he early Afternoon, like a train. The cultural reference is to Duke Ellington's great jazz piece from 1939, "Take the A-Train", which in turn refers to a subway line in New York City. The line ran from Brooklyn to Harlem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2w2m1JmCY

A bit of NASA trivia and American social and cultural history. I hope it is not too far off topic.

I just ran some predictions for them and they are visible in the early morning right now, and should be visible in the evening in Dec, Jan, Feb. They are visible in the dusk and dawn, when they are illuminated but the ground below is dark.

I made a note to get some photos and notify you.

-- hide signature --

Charles

starman1969
OP starman1969 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,425

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

mermaidkiller wrote:

Yeah. That happens.

They are in Sun synchronous orbits with equator crossing times around 1:30 AM & PM. Fortunately they are in high orbits, so they can be seen from moderately high latitudes such as yours. Heavens Above shows nightly passes between 3:30 and 4:30 AM at magnitude 4 or so for the brightest. In my more mid-latitude location they are much dimmer (6th magnitude) and lower in the sky.

Thanks Bob.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads