Depth of field preview with auto (TL) lenses on Leica CL

Started Sep 6, 2021 | Questions
Muus Regular Member • Posts: 281
Depth of field preview with auto (TL) lenses on Leica CL

Not being a ‘wiide open shooter’ most of the time, I would like to be able to preview the effect of the aperture I have chosen. While I do get a preview of over- or underexposure as the case may be upon half pressing the shutterbutton, the depth of field doesn’t perceptably change in the EVF, not even at, say, f/11. Am I missing something ?

Hans Muus

-- hide signature --

www.hansmuus.com

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 8,976
Re: Depth of field preview with auto (TL) lenses on Leica CL

Muus wrote:

Not being a ‘wiide open shooter’ most of the time, I would like to be able to preview the effect of the aperture I have chosen. While I do get a preview of over- or underexposure as the case may be upon half pressing the shutterbutton, the depth of field doesn’t perceptably change in the EVF, not even at, say, f/11. Am I missing something ?

Hans Muus

I'm just about to order a CL and had the same question, I would think a little cheat card with the relevant f stop/distances might be in order, there may even be an App for cell phones.. I'm going to try an M lens with adaptor, they have all the distance markings etc..  L

-- hide signature --

Everyday is a Challenge. I Meet It Head On..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
LCT
LCT Senior Member • Posts: 1,246

I have no experience with TL lenses but did you try in M or A mode?
Best,
LCT

OP Muus Regular Member • Posts: 281

LCT wrote:

I tried in both modes (and tried again to make sure…)  - no difference. (As an aside, with M lenses this problem of course doesn’t occur, as they’re always closed down to the chosen setting immediately, which makes them highly unpractical in another way when you’re not into the fashionable Jono Slackish ‘I always shoot wide open’ : you first have to focus with wide open aperture for precision, and then have to set the aperture to the desired value).

Thank you for your suggestion,

All best,

Hans

LCT

Muus wrote:

LCT wrote:

I tried in both modes (and tried again to make sure…) - no difference. (As an aside, with M lenses this problem of course doesn’t occur, as they’re always closed down to the chosen setting immediately, which makes them highly unpractical in another way when you’re not into the fashionable Jono Slackish ‘I always shoot wide open’ : you first have to focus with wide open aperture for precision, and then have to set the aperture to the desired value).

All best,

Hans

You don't have to focus M (or LTM) lenses at full aperture, Hans. I do it all the time at working aperture and it works fine with image magnification. At f/11 below. BTW i seem to recall that Jonathan Slack thinks alike but i may be wrong
Best,
LCT

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-qcxMQzZ/0/c46961f0/X4/i-qcxMQzZ-X4.jpg

LCT wrote:

Muus wrote:

LCT wrote:

I tried in both modes (and tried again to make sure…) - no difference. (As an aside, with M lenses this problem of course doesn’t occur, as they’re always closed down to the chosen setting immediately, which makes them highly unpractical in another way when you’re not into the fashionable Jono Slackish ‘I always shoot wide open’ : you first have to focus with wide open aperture for precision, and then have to set the aperture to the desired value).

All best,

Hans

You don't have to focus M (or LTM) lenses at full aperture, Hans. I do it all the time at working aperture and it works fine with image magnification. At f/11 below. BTW i seem to recall that Jonathan Slack thinks alike but i may be wrong
Best,
LCT

LCT,

thank you. Nothing wrong indeed with the focus of your fine macro insect shot ! Sofar my first question remains unanswered (preview of depth of field with an auto (TL etc.) lens on a CL. On my very first single lens reflex camera, an Exakta 1A (1964, yrs humbly 15 yrs of age, carrying out the processing himself in his own improvised darkroom) this could be done very easily.
Best, Hans

LCT

Muus wrote:

LCT wrote:

Muus wrote:

LCT wrote:

All best,

Hans

Best,
LCT

LCT,

thank you. Nothing wrong indeed with the focus of your fine macro insect shot ! Sofar my first question remains unanswered (preview of depth of field with an auto (TL etc.) lens on a CL. On my very first single lens reflex camera, an Exakta 1A (1964, yrs humbly 15 yrs of age, carrying out the processing himself in his own improvised darkroom) this could be done very easily.
Best, Hans

Same with all my SLR bodies since the sixties too. I have no experience with auto lenses on the CL though, only M and LTM sorry. Are you sure half pressing the shutter release doesn't display the actual DoF in M or A mode in the EVF? Just curious.
Best,
LCT

Tomm111 Senior Member • Posts: 1,933

I don't think the CL works as a SLR where you focus wide open and the diaphram closes with the shutter. With nonAF lenses, M lenses, adapted lenses, I don't see a diiference in illumination depending on the fstop. As far as I can see the EVF increases the gain when you stop down showing the DOF. This was most apparent with a fast WA. I used an f2.8 Tokina with a Nikon adapter, you could see the difference of DOF as you stopped down, mostly through focus peaking. In three years of using the CL I haven't had difficulty with viewing DOF. With TL lenses you can check this by turning the focus activating focus peaking or turning off AF.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +18 more

Tomm111 wrote:

I don't think the CL works as a SLR where you focus wide open and the diaphram closes with the shutter. With nonAF lenses, M lenses, adapted lenses, I don't see a diiference in illumination depending on the fstop. As far as I can see the EVF increases the gain when you stop down showing the DOF. This was most apparent with a fast WA. I used an f2.8 Tokina with a Nikon adapter, you could see the difference of DOF as you stopped down, mostly through focus peaking. In three years of using the CL I haven't had difficulty with viewing DOF. With TL lenses you can check this by turning the focus activating focus peaking or turning off AF.

Thank you, Tomm. Not surprisingly, with nonAF lenses (M or otherwise - in this regard they function all alike) you can see the depth of field that corresponds with the aperture chosen, as the chosen aperture is mechanically set at that value from the get go. But with TL lenses I don’t see any change in depth of field when stopping down, whether I turn on focus peaking or turn off AF or whatever (followed by a half press of the shutter). When I subsequently press the shutter fully and ‘chimp’ the picture (shot at, say f/11) on the LCD, then I see many more details in out-of-focus areas than moments before in the EVF or LCD. What fooled me before I started to really look at the details, was that indeed the image darkens upon half pressing the shutter when the combination of shutterspeed, aperture and ISO would result in underexposure. This darkening suggests a somewhat deeper depth of field also, but upon closer inspection one sees this is an illusion.

Best,

Hans

www.hansmuus.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads