Sigma 45mm vs Panasonic S 50mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
memo90061 Contributing Member • Posts: 824
Sigma 45mm vs Panasonic S 50mm

Does anyone have both lenses? What do you think? I know the Panasonic is faster. I'm wondering which one do you prefer and why?

memo90061's gear list:memo90061's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
mrb375
mrb375 Contributing Member • Posts: 777
Re: Sigma 45mm vs Panasonic S 50mm

I had both..sold the Sigma 45 2.8 for the speed of the 1.8 50 Panasonic. The Sigma 45 was a great lens, but as a Street Photography lens- I need the additional light.

Heres a shot with the Sigma 45:

Here’s one with the Panasonic 50:

mrb375's gear list:mrb375's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
OP memo90061 Contributing Member • Posts: 824

Thank you so much! Both pictures look really nice.

Jsake
Jsake Regular Member • Posts: 231

I have both. they have different strengths… the sigma is nice to use for stills, particularly if you like to shoot fully manual. it has a nice aperture ring, better build quality and, classic styling. I don't find the aperture limiting, at 45mm f2.8 you can get some nice subject separation when framed right.

the Panasonic 50mm is a nicer all around hybrid stills and video lens. its slightly bigger although it’s not a great difference, and the build quality doesn't feel quite as high. theres no aperture ring but you get a much bigger focus ring which i find better if you manual focus video. Speaking of video, it has much better AFC performance in video vs the sigma. The sigma is very slow to acquire focus in comparison. It also performs a bit better optically at f2.8 vs the sigma, at f1.8 you might notice a bit of fringing in high contrast areas if you peep.

Jsake's gear list:Jsake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sony a7R III Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 +3 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 12,108

It's interesting to see this thread comparing these two lenses.

I contemplated buying the Panasonic 50 over the Sigma 45 because it is $100 cheaper, but the larger size put me off.

I'm glad that the Sigma 45 is nearly as good optically as the Panasonic 50, but even gladder that I bought the smaller and lighter Sigma 45.  It's a pleasure to use this lens day to day.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
"Beware of taking advice from anonymous wise men." Quote from Anon.

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +12 more
rick in vegas Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

I have both. Panasonic is slightly sharper. Sigma build quality better. Focus seems same.

rick in vegas's gear list:rick in vegas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Nikon Z6 II

On a S1 would you even notice the slight weight difference?

Johnny82 New Member • Posts: 10

Perhaps consider the Sigma 65mm F2. It is a little tighter than the 50mm, but in my opinion it is a superior lens and the best of the Sigma "i" series.

rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,361

Johnny82 wrote:

Perhaps consider the Sigma 65mm F2. It is a little tighter than the 50mm, but in my opinion it is a superior lens and the best of the Sigma "i" series.

Agreed.  Parallels the performance of the m4/3 56f1.4 = the best of those (excellent) threesome

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 228

memo90061 wrote:

Does anyone have both lenses? What do you think? I know the Panasonic is faster. I'm wondering which one do you prefer and why?

I have both. I like the Sigma when I want to keep my S5 kit as light as possible and when I want to take advantage of the Sigma's closer focusing capability. I prefer the Panasonic for low-light and indoor shooting.

The weight difference between the 2 isn’t much

BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 228

rick in vegas wrote:

Yes, Rick, you're right. I actually tested out both lenses last night after making the post and came to the same conclusion but . . .  the Sigma 45 feels lighter to me, perhaps as a result of its compact size.

rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,361

BaldEgo wrote:

rick in vegas wrote:

Yes, Rick, you're right. I actually tested out both lenses last night after making the post and came to the same conclusion but . . . the Sigma 45 feels lighter to me, perhaps as a result of its compact size.

215g vs 300g

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

sootyvrs Contributing Member • Posts: 632

Love that Sigma have the 24mm/3.5, 45mm/2.8 & now the 90mm/2.8 compact lenses for those who appreciate the small size and accept the compromise of a slower aperture opening.

To the OP, I personally would ask what is your priority speed vs size and choose using your priority.

I think the range of F1.8-F2 lenses out there are a good compromise between the much larger F1.2-F1.4 and smaller F2.8-F3.5 prime lenses available for the L-Mount.

I think they are all good optically these days

sootyvrs's gear list:sootyvrs's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon G3 X Sigma fp Sigma fp L Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 +8 more

I still don't know which one to buy. I'm thinking I prefer the lighter and smaller lens. I had the Sigma 24mm F3.5 and F2 version. I returned the F2 because I love the small size of the F3.5 version.

I do want a fast lens though.

Roger Senior Member • Posts: 2,958

memo90061 wrote:

Greetings memo90061

I still don't know which one to buy.

The Sigma 45 is small fast and reminds me of my Leica M glass. I believe it cost less as well than the 50? I use it on both the S1 series and my FP and it works great.

I'm thinking I prefer the lighter and smaller lens. I had the Sigma 24mm F3.5 and F2 version. I returned the F2 because I love the small size of the F3.5 version.

The 45 is about the same size as the 35 f3.5. I use it on my FP with a wooden grip and it's my digital Leica M only in an L-mount.

The 45 is fast it's the same as the Pana 50

Enjoy

Roger J.

FredInMN1 Contributing Member • Posts: 717

No Sigma 45 is 2.8 Pana 50 is 1.8.

FredInMN1's gear list:FredInMN1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony DSC-RX0 Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +14 more
Jsake
Jsake Regular Member • Posts: 231

memo90061 wrote:

I still don't know which one to buy. I'm thinking I prefer the lighter and smaller lens. I had the Sigma 24mm F3.5 and F2 version. I returned the F2 because I love the small size of the F3.5 version.

if you love the small size and your main focus is stills, then the sigma is what you want. it does have some caveats though, theres a bit of a trick to getting optimum performance from it. the lens basically has a sweet spot focusing distance for optimal subject sharpness when shot wide open. if you can keep subjects at sort of 9-12ft  you’ll get sharp images with almost ART level bokeh. most people report the lens being soft at close focus wide open, and while I found this to be true, I don’t find it problematically soft by any means. so in this sense its an excellent environmental portrait lens, where you can shoot from a little further back to capture more of a scene and get optimal wide open performance. at smaller apertures f4 and beyond its just sharp all round.

The Panasonic 50mm is 1.8 but the image quality isn’t quite as good until f2.8 anyway. below 2.8 its reasonably sharp but I've seen some minor colour fringing. by f2.8 this seems to disappear and its also very sharp across the whole frame. at the wider apertures you’ll get more bokeh than the sigma but it doesn’t always render as smoothly. I think its advantages lie in its video oriented design, big focus ring, minimal breathing, better AF performance in video. i also feel like it can could withstand the elements a bit more. which is odd because the sigma build quality is much better.

in terms of light gathering, on a Panasonic S5 f2.8 is fast enough for almost anything as ISO 12,800 is a usable possibility.

Jsake's gear list:Jsake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sony a7R III Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 +3 more

Thank you!

I think I'll give the Sigma 45mm a chance. Now I'm just looking for a cheap one. I'm bummed I didn't qualify for the free lens. I was off by just a few weeks.

mrb375
mrb375 Contributing Member • Posts: 777

FredInMN1 wrote:

No Sigma 45 is 2.8 Pana 50 is 1.8.

Yeah- I had the Sigma 45mm and the Panny 50mm 1.8 is slightly longer, but lighter and has the edge in image quality.

Close fight- but Panny 50mm wins this one.

mrb375's gear list:mrb375's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads