Sigma 17-55 ?!

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Black Beard Lens New Member • Posts: 22
Sigma 17-55 ?!

Hey there !

i want to get a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for my Nikon D7200 , i did my research and i found it's a good lens on a budget that gives a good image quality to work on landscape or portrait

any advices ?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Svein Eriksen Senior Member • Posts: 2,367
Re: Sigma 17-55 ?!

Black Beard Lens wrote:

Hey there !

i want to get a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for my Nikon D7200 …..

Lots of positive reviews of that lens, but does it outperform your current lens enough to justify the price (assuming you already have a kit lens that cover the same zoom range)?

atom14
atom14 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,005

Svein Eriksen wrote:

Black Beard Lens wrote:

Hey there !

i want to get a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for my Nikon D7200 …..

Lots of positive reviews of that lens, but does it outperform your current lens enough to justify the price (assuming you already have a kit lens that cover the same zoom range)?

I have that lens and it works very well with my Sigma SD1M, but I wholly agree with Svein's point. It's a discontinued lens, so you'd have to make sure of the quality of the now used product.

atom14.

OP Black Beard Lens New Member • Posts: 22
  1. I agree with you , it's a very good lens comparing with others zoom lenss that come with the same zoom range and price , I already have a Nikon 18-105 but I'm not satisfied with the quality and the aperture , I want to have a zoom lens with a wide aperture and good quality as well , I know that if I want a good lens for portrait I must get a prime lens such 50mm or 85mm with a very wide aperture and other wide angle for landscape like tokina for example , it's very expensive for me right now that's why I want something between them that can gives the same function and results so far , thank you
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 12,109
Re: Sigma 17-50 ?!

I have one for my D7200.  I was choosing between it and the 18-140 when upgrading from the older 18-70 kit lens.  I went with the 18-140 and got a bad copy, went to the 17-50/2.8 Sigma and was quite satisfied with it.

WongRQ Contributing Member • Posts: 870

Black Beard Lens wrote:

Hey there !

i want to get a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for my Nikon D7200 , i did my research and i found it's a good lens on a budget that gives a good image quality to work on landscape or portrait

any advices ?

Landscapes: If the lens is sharp then it can be a great landscape lens. People use full-frame equivalent 16-35mm lenses. Therefore you might want to check out the SIGMA 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, check if it's a good lens as well.

Portraits: For portraits, it really depends. Many people say that you should get a 50mm f/1.8, but it depends on the type of portraits you're shooting. If you're shooting headshots a 70-200mm is the best, even on a crop sensor camera. Additionally, you may want to buy some lights if you're really planning on doing professional portraits.

WongRQ's gear list:WongRQ's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,050

It's a very good and versatile lens, and an excellent value as well. I think you made a good decision 

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +6 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 8,770
Re: Sigma 17-50

It's a good and versatile lens, and not as expensive as the OEM lenses of similar quality.

The problem that most often kills lenses is breakage of the ribbon cable that connects the aperture mechanism with the contacts on the mount, so a heavily used lens that has been treated carefully may not show any signs of weakness until it breaks. Replacement cables are available, but I have never dared taking a lens apart myself.

The best focal length for portraits depend on so many factors that IMHO, the best portrait lens is a zoom. On APS-C, 50-150mm f/2.8 was my favourite.

The lens makers will have you believe that you need ultra thin DoF for portraits. Shallow DoF can give a portrait a "dreamy" look, but you can get that with 50mm at f/2.8 and some backlighting. You can also use shallow DoF to blow the background out of focus in order to isolate your subject. My point of view is that you, as the photographer, always have to be aware of the background, and not just rely on your lens to blow it away. No amount of blur can make a brick wall unrecogniseable, for example.

Good luck and good light.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 6,285

Hello...

I have this len. IMHO get it 

Black Beard Lens wrote:

Hey there !

any advices ?

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon PowerShot Zoom Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel T7 +4 more
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 6,285

BTW - Canon has a site for new refurbished Canons today/ 

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

I have this len. IMHO get it 

Black Beard Lens wrote:

Hey there !

any advices ?

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon PowerShot Zoom Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel T7 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads