Focus change

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Rich74
Rich74 Regular Member • Posts: 201
Focus change

I currently shoot rugby using mostly Group AF and was wondering is there a quick way to flip between Group AF and Single point AF. Ive taken a look in the settings and there is an option to assign to the Fn button but there is no option of AF changes? Can anyone help????

Rich74's gear list:Rich74's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,216
Re: Focus change

I mostly shoot birds with my D500 and I have the AF mode set to Group.  But I also have the Fn1 button set to Single-point AF - CUSTOM SETTING MENU / f Controls / f1 Custom control assignment / Fn1 / AF-area mode / Single-point AF.

With this set my default AF mode is Group but if I hold down the Fn1 button with my right hand ring finger, the camera switches to single point.  If I release my finger on the button the camera switches back to Group.

Is that what you want?

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
Rich74
OP Rich74 Regular Member • Posts: 201

Blufftonian wrote:

I mostly shoot birds with my D500 and I have the AF mode set to Group. But I also have the Fn1 button set to Single-point AF - CUSTOM SETTING MENU / f Controls / f1 Custom control assignment / Fn1 / AF-area mode / Single-point AF.

With this set my default AF mode is Group but if I hold down the Fn1 button with my right hand ring finger, the camera switches to single point. If I release my finger on the button the camera switches back to Group.

Is that what you want?

Legend!!!! That's exactly what I wanted.

Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Peter M J Regular Member • Posts: 456

You can set the back button for Af on plus single point and the centre of the jostick for Af on plus group Then using AFC press back button for single point or centre of the joystick for Group

Regards Peter

Peter M J's gear list:Peter M J's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
tclune Senior Member • Posts: 1,429

Peter M J wrote:

You can set the back button for Af on plus single point and the centre of the jostick for Af on plus group Then using AFC press back button for single point or centre of the joystick for Group

Regards Peter

Or you can do the same using BBF and the PV button. The PV is naturally situated for my middle finger; the BBF for my  thumb; and the shutter release for my index finger. The joystick is awkward for me to use. If you find similar clumsiness with the joystick, try switching to the PV button.

Blufftonian

tclune wrote

Or you can do the same using BBF and the PV button. The PV is naturally situated for my middle finger; the BBF for my thumb; and the shutter release for my index finger. The joystick is awkward for me to use. If you find similar clumsiness with the joystick, try switching to the PV button.

I also use BBF and I tried both the PV (with my middle finger) and the Fn1 button (with my ring finger).  I’m more comfortable with the latter but it’s all up to personal preference.

Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,295

Rich74 wrote:

I currently shoot rugby using mostly Group AF and was wondering is there a quick way to flip between Group AF and Single point AF. Ive taken a look in the settings and there is an option to assign to the Fn button but there is no option of AF changes? Can anyone help????

I'm sure you're getting the idea by now, but I'll give my 2 cents worth anyway.

I use AF-ON button for Single Point and PV button for Group.  Be sure to select "AF-area mode + AF-ON" when assigning these buttons in the "custom control assignment menu!!!!

a8 (AutoFocus Activation) is OFF, so the shutter button does not focus.

Focus mode is set to continuous (c), and release mode is set to anything you like, but usually "CH" for 10 frames per second.

This is a pure BBF (Back Button Focus) set-up, and once you use it and get used to it, you will never (well, hardly ever) go back to conventional shutter button focus.  You can hold an assigned focus button while tracking a moving subject as long as you like, and shoot short or long bursts at will.

You can also use this same set-up described above for stationary subjects, "as if" you are in single shot (s) focus mode, by using the following technique ...  Just press one of your assigned focus buttons to acquire focus on your stationary subject, then, release the button, and recompose.  You will remain focused on your stationary subject while you press the shutter button, and as long as you don't re-press an assigned focus button.

Hope this is helpful.

Arnie

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +3 more
Rich74
OP Rich74 Regular Member • Posts: 201

Thanks all your replies have been great. I've set up the Fn button for single point for now and will see how it goes on the weekend in action. Just to clarify would it be beneficial to activate af-on on the fn button also as well as af single point so its one less thing to think of? Currently using AF-on for BBF anyway

EricK214 Contributing Member • Posts: 914

tclune wrote:

Peter M J wrote:

Regards Peter

Or you can do the same using BBF and the PV button. The PV is naturally situated for my middle finger; the BBF for my thumb; and the shutter release for my index finger. The joystick is awkward for me to use. If you find similar clumsiness with the joystick, try switching to the PV button.

Yeah I agree. I set D25 for the sub selector button (Joystick). This is a mode I rarely use as you have to mash that joystick straight down or you move the AF point. I also use the AF ON button for my main AF mode (Group) and the FN1 button (bottom front button) for my single point. It's easier to use my ring finger to reach that as my middle finger is stronger to hold the camera with.

-- hide signature --

Eric
Wildlife/BIF Hunter: Nikon D500 is my weapon of choice, the 500mm f5.6 PF is my ammo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikondoesabodygood/

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +2 more
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,295

Rich74 wrote:

Thanks all your replies have been great. I've set up the Fn button for single point for now and will see how it goes on the weekend in action. Just to clarify would it be beneficial to activate af-on on the fn button also as well as af single point so its one less thing to think of? Currently using AF-on for BBF anyway

As I wrote (and highlighted) in my post ... "Be sure to select "AF-area mode + AF-ON""

That's the whole point of customization buttons, to not just select different AF area modes, but use it to focus at the same time. So that applies to any button you are programing for a focus area selection.

There are several options in the Custom control assignment menu ... selecting a button in the initial graphic menu shows the options available for that particular button.  Select "AF-area mode + AF-ON", then arrow over, and a list of AF areas are displayed for you to select.  Always press OK after selecting an option.

Also, it is beneficial (and I believe important for simplicity) to set a8 in the "Custom settings menu" to "OFF", which disables shutter button focusing.  When you press a custom button to focus, it will override the shutter button focus if it is left "ON", which just creates confusion.  Some shooters actually do use both, but it is a technique which requires a lot of skill, practice and concentration.

Personally, I prefer to use the "preview button" (for group) using my middle finger, and the "AF-ON button" (for single point) using my thumb.  The shutter focus is "OFF".  I find it very easy to swap between these two buttons while in shooting position.  You should use the buttons which are most comfortable for you, however.  If that turns out to be the "Fn button", then that is what you should use.  But try different set-ups to help you find what is most comfortable.

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +3 more
Blufftonian

arniebook wrote

As I wrote (and highlighted) in my post ... "Be sure to select "AF-area mode + AF-ON""

That's the whole point of customization buttons, to not just select different AF area modes, but use it to focus at the same time. So that applies to any button you are programing for a focus area selection.

There are several options in the Custom control assignment menu ... selecting a button in the initial graphic menu shows the options available for that particular button. Select "AF-area mode + AF-ON", then arrow over, and a list of AF areas are displayed for you to select. Always press OK after selecting an option.

Also, it is beneficial (and I believe important for simplicity) to set a8 in the "Custom settings menu" to "OFF", which disables shutter button focusing….

I agree 100% with those points.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads