What will you be shooting two years from now?

Started 4 months ago | Polls
Vincent O'Sullivan Regular Member • Posts: 431
Re: Need you ask?

NCB wrote:

Vincent O'Sullivan wrote:

Som Prasad wrote:

Given your current state of understanding of digital cameras what do you see yourself shooting (as your main system) in two years time?

Asking such a question in a premium Nikon DSLR forum is only going to yield one answer.

People have taken years to acquire these cameras and the matching lenses. They are long term investments that few are likely to abandon in favour of a different format that does the much same thing.

In the Z format forum you'll find that the people already using those cameras will still be using them in two years.

Ask the same question any of the other forums that cover the cameras that you listed and you'll get answers appropriate to that forum.

So, if all the answers are forum specific; what useful information does the question yield?

Quite a lot of people have moved from F mount to Z mount. No doubt more will be considering it. And possibly wondering about other options. So the question is relevant.

If the question is relevant then a self-selecting survey in a special interest forum is not going to yield any useful information (other than the people in any given forum tend to favour the equipment relevant to that forum).

And relevant to whom?  Other than the manufacturers (who conduct their own market research) who needs to know what camera system I might use in two years time.

Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,546
Re: What will you be shooting two years from now?

Som Prasad wrote:

I would have been looking to the Z9, if it was not going to be so big and heavy. With time, I have become very wieght and size concious. Hence my long lenses are both phase fresnel. 😀😀

I understand being wight conscious, I am too getting up there with age and prefer everything lighter.

That said, I have always preferred large bodies or a camera with added on battery grip. That is how I use my D850. I have large hands and anything small doesn't feel right in my grip.

I have both the 500mm f4E FL and the 500mm f5.6 PF, I reach more often for the PF lens these days. That is especially true when I am out in the Canadian wilderness for a week or so and I need to travel as light as possible to have enough of essential supplies with me.

My big dream is that Nikon may come out with a 600mm f5.6 PF lens for the Z mount. I think it would pay well off for them. Many more could afford that lens than the 600 f4 which is on their road map. A lens like that would channel wildlife and bird shooter customers to the Z mount as well.

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Franglais91 Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
If the Z8 and 24-105mm Z arrive

Som Prasad wrote:

Given your current state of understanding of digital cameras what do you see yourself shooting (as your main system) in two years time?

Currently I shoot with the Z5+24-200 for travels and the D850+24-120+70-200 for everything else. So the D850 is my main system.

My experience with the Z5 has convinced me of the potential of the Z system. However - the D850 is still ahead in many respects.

I would switch to the Z system if there was:

- a reasonably-priced Z body (similar to the D850) which could actually follow moving subjects as well as the D850 with a high-definition sensor (i.e. not a Sony A9)

- a 24-104 f4 Z lens that could give good results wide open at f4. With the 24-120 I have to close down to f6.3 to get enough sharpness. That would allow me to more than halve my ISO indoors. I can use all my Z lenses wide open with no problem..

Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z5 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +20 more
Gearsau
Gearsau Senior Member • Posts: 2,034

Gary Skirvin wrote:

Certainly these 3 satisfy all my needs, and recently dusted off my D500, which was getting no love, and paired it with my Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6, and either my technique has dramatically improved or the electronic genies have intervened, and I've decided to keep it and use it when the circumstances dictate.

Good to know I'm not the only one hanging onto "ancient" tech.

We've been under intense wildfires here, and the air tankers take off right over my residence.

GS

A suggestion........ try dropping your shutter speed. Planes cannot fly with the propellers stopped

-- hide signature --

Regards Peter

Gearsau's gear list:Gearsau's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +21 more
Som Prasad
OP Som Prasad Regular Member • Posts: 449

I appreciate your point of view. But for users considering switching, this knowledge is useful. If a large number are considering switching, there will be a market in used equipment forthe new system they are moving to and possibly the market for selling the old system will fall. About 30% here rae possibly going to move to the Z system (I accept the small sample size is a serious limitation). There is s a message there.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Som

Som Prasad's gear list:Som Prasad's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon D500 Leica M10 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +19 more
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 2,526

I am sure the Z9 will offer significant advantages. But my D500 works very nicely still, and only has about 30K shots on it. So I am just going to use it until it breaks, at which point I will pick up a Z9 or whatever other advanced camera Nikon has out at the time.

I feel the D500 keeps up with me 90% of the time, and the Z9 will probably get me to 98%. So, I do not think it is wise to upgrade right away. Besides, if I wait, I'll probably be able to get a lightly used or refurbished copy and save a couple thousand...

-- hide signature --

My personal (noncommercial) website: https://jpolak.org/

STSIV New Member • Posts: 18

D850 everything else is on backorder

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 18,223
what will be better than a D850 in 2 years?

If a true D850 replacement comes alone - either ML or DSLR - I'll buy one, at typical D850 prices.  (Meaning I can't afford a $6k Z9, though that ML camera does finally interest me.)

D880?   Buy it in a heartbeat.

Z8 - strong maybe, depending on specs

There is only one area of performance in my D850 that I find lacking - AF during video.  If I shot video I'd already be looking at a Z-series camera.

I already get the shots I want from a D850.  I have no need to change cameras.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475

Likely the same gear I'm using now:

D850, D700, D500, D300

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 6,805

Robert Cohen wrote:

D850, D700, D500, D300

I loved my D300, my son is a budding landscape photographer, I gifted it him with all my lenses - his work is far beyond my capabilities..  L

-- hide signature --

Everyday is a Challenge. I Meet It Head On..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
greenmanphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,191

Som,

I'll be shooting the same things I'm shooting now: a D500 and a D850. But I will most likely add either a D5/D6 or a Z9, depending on exactly what the Z9 will be like. But, in two years, my cameras will still take excellent images, as long as I have it right. No reason to fully change to mirrorless at this time, nor in two years time, as long as they're still working and doing what I need them to do.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.txsportsphotography.com
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more

yray,

I am much the same, for the most part. However, I'm intrigued by the upcoming Z9, the first mirrorless from Nikon (or, pretty much, anyone else!) to really get me to consider switching there. Even so, it won't be a switch, but a combination. BUT, that all depends on exactly what the Z9 is like and how well it performs. Otherwise, it will be a D5 or D6 for me next. And that, combined with my D500 and D850, will last me a LONG, LONG time, I'm sure.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
WSSA Member #260!

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more

Robert Cohen wrote:

D850, D700, D500, D300

Bob,

Same gear I have! Though, I admit my D300 and D700 don't come out to play very often these days. It's more often the D850 and D500 I use.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
WSSA Member #260!

backayonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,472

Not sure why but in Australia most items are available.

There is definitely a demand in used equipment as in the  last week I have sold a few f mount Nikon lenses and a 1.4 TCE.

For the forseeable future I will be shooting using both Nikon systems.

-- hide signature --

I'm Speechless.

bomoments New Member • Posts: 19

No compelling reason to change my D850 and D500.

bomoments's gear list:bomoments's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Nikon D500 Sony a6500 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,467

greenmanphoto wrote:

yray,

I am much the same, for the most part. However, I'm intrigued by the upcoming Z9, the first mirrorless from Nikon (or, pretty much, anyone else!) to really get me to consider switching there. Even so, it won't be a switch, but a combination. BUT, that all depends on exactly what the Z9 is like and how well it performs. Otherwise, it will be a D5 or D6 for me next.

My interest in Z9 is almost entirely academic, other than I do appreciate that NIkon can't afford for it to be a flop. The price tag is a big issue, but also I really don't have a great need in a sports camera anymore, and if I had I would be looking at the F-mount bodies because of the lenses. I'm not a big fan of adapters. Also, I know many people argue otherwise, but for stuff that moves fast OVF is even more crucial IMO, even if you get all the shots you want and EVF lag becomes completely insignificant in practice and is just a concept in my head.

And that, combined with my D500 and D850, will last me a LONG, LONG time, I'm sure.

Sam

Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,475

I gave my then girlfriend my D70.  She's done beautiful work with it.  It goes to show that it's not the tool, it's the photographer.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +5 more
bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 2,533

Still rocking F mount. Not compelled to move to Z line yet, although a Z6III with 24-105 lens may do it.

Time will tell.

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,467

We're closing on 100 votes, almost, and it seems only 25% of the current Nikon DSLR users are determined to switch to Z. Maybe not the most representative sample, but these presumably are most valuable users, most likely to buy new gear. If I were Nikon I would be concerned, how are they gonna replace the remaining 75% -- new users? But the market is continuing to shrink, there are many alternatives in the absence of a commitment to a particular mount, and Nikon may not be one of the two most compelling choices anymore.

yray wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

yray,

I am much the same, for the most part. However, I'm intrigued by the upcoming Z9, the first mirrorless from Nikon (or, pretty much, anyone else!) to really get me to consider switching there. Even so, it won't be a switch, but a combination. BUT, that all depends on exactly what the Z9 is like and how well it performs. Otherwise, it will be a D5 or D6 for me next.

My interest in Z9 is almost entirely academic, other than I do appreciate that NIkon can't afford for it to be a flop. The price tag is a big issue, but also I really don't have a great need in a sports camera anymore, and if I had I would be looking at the F-mount bodies because of the lenses. I'm not a big fan of adapters. Also, I know many people argue otherwise, but for stuff that moves fast OVF is even more crucial IMO, even if you get all the shots you want and EVF lag becomes completely insignificant in practice and is just a concept in my head.

And that, combined with my D500 and D850, will last me a LONG, LONG time, I'm sure.

Sam

yray,

My interest in the Z9 is that I'm trying to think ahead a bit, as well as get a good, "pro body" for sports and action. I know that mirrorless bodies is the future, as anyone that's looking can plainly see. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a new body, then I might as well as look at a mirrorless one now, IF--and that's really the key!--it meets my needs and wants.

Like you, I'm no fan of an EVF, preferring an OVF. I'll have to see exactly how this one works in the Z9, along with the other aspects of the performance. From MOST of what I've seen and read, the FTZ adapters work well enough that it's a good bridge between the two lens mounts and systems. As long as I don't lose functionality, I'm good with using it until I get other S glass.

So, really, it all comes down to exactly what we'll be getting with the Z9 as to whether or not I buy one. I can say, though, that if I DON'T buy one, it will probably be that much longer before I DO buy a Z body. I'll have a D500, a D850, and (probably) a D6, arguably three of the best DSLRs ever made, and certainly best from Nikon. Those bodies should last me for QUITE a long time, still, barring something unforeseen and unfortunate happening.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
WSSA Member #260!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads