Move the slider below the map to see the foliage over time:

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,910
Re: Fall foliage prediction map

Yes, this tool has gotten a lot of press this year.  I've seen links in NYT, WaPo and other places online like google news.

Wonder how accurate it will be?

tsinsf Contributing Member • Posts: 854

It's not particularly useful as anybody who keeps going back to the same areas for autumn foilage will tell you, the peak period often varies by two weeks, and occasionally even three. And with climate change, who knows?

tsinsf's gear list:tsinsf's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
charleyd Senior Member • Posts: 1,240

Very helpful..thanks for posting.

OP gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,885

tsinsf wrote:

It's not particularly useful as anybody who keeps going back to the same areas for autumn foilage will tell you, the peak period often varies by two weeks, and occasionally even three. And with climate change, who knows?

I doubt their prediction is  based on historical time of year but on evolving climate factors.

For example, N Atlantic hurricane season is from June to November (that's like returning to the same area during the autumn folige season) - but that doesn't tell you when a hurricane will form.  But with current climate models and current changing conditions one can predict when a Hurricane will form as time passes.

-- hide signature --

"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 5,522

ken_in_nh wrote:

Yes, this tool has gotten a lot of press this year. I've seen links in NYT, WaPo and other places online like google news.

Yeah, I would have to know how they are coming up with this and if this is meant to be a prediction based on current conditions or just presented as an averaging of historic data?

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
CeeDave
CeeDave Senior Member • Posts: 2,110

ken_in_nh wrote:

Yes, this tool has gotten a lot of press this year. I've seen links in NYT, WaPo and other places online like google news.

I’m a little skeptical about a tool for foliage prediction that pays so much respect to state borders (look around Wyoming, particularly). At best, it interpolates stupidly.

-- hide signature --

Chris
Striving to make the quotidian quotable.

CeeDave's gear list:CeeDave's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads