Will Snapbridge be a reliable remote shutter release?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
river251
river251 Regular Member • Posts: 464
Will Snapbridge be a reliable remote shutter release?

Will Snapbridge with my Android phone be a reliable remote shutter release for my D850; have you used it?

The alternative at B&H is the Vello radio unit at $40. Besides the price it seems kinda bulky for my camera bag and if snapbridge will work I'd prefer that route.

Thanks

Jim

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Re: Will Snapbridge be a reliable remote shutter release?

river251 wrote:

Will Snapbridge with my Android phone be a reliable remote shutter release for my D850; have you used it?

The alternative at B&H is the Vello radio unit at $40. Besides the price it seems kinda bulky for my camera bag and if snapbridge will work I'd prefer that route.

Another option is an OTG cable, and QDSLR software running on your phone. I don't own a Snapbridge-based camera, but do a search and see the difficulty people have had getting it to be reliable.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D5 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +6 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,781
Pixel Oppilas?

James809 wrote:

river251 wrote:

Another option is an OTG cable, and QDSLR software running on your phone. I don't own a Snapbridge-based camera, but do a search and see the difficulty people have had getting it to be reliable.

I too have read of all those Snapbridge users having problems. Personally, I dislike the claimed ubiquity of mobile 'phone solutions for this kind of thing. I use the Pixel Oppilas device and it works flawlessly on three different generations of my DSLRs. Quite petite and inexpensive.

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,708

I've got a velo remote. It almost always works great. But occasionally, it goes a little haywire, for example, rattling off shot after shot even though I'm not pressing the remote button. I use it in the studio with no problem. But If I didn't have access to the camera all the time, I might hesitate to rely on it. Then again, I've never heard anyone else complain about this trigger, so maybe it's just me...

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
TheMerchantofVenice Regular Member • Posts: 305
No

I guess some folks have gotten it working to their satisfaction but I feel it is largely inferior to other solutions.

wilberforce_1 Regular Member • Posts: 101

Snapbridge works, but is a complicated solution to a simple problem. It is laggy to connect (creates a wifi network, and disconnects your phone from whatever wifi it is on), and essentially puts the camera in live view mode. If you do anything else on your phone, it dumps the connection. All that to just to trigger the shutter!

I use the Vello Freewave.

If you have Godox flash triggers you can use those to remote trigger the camera shutter too. (Plug a Godox receiver into the camera 10-pin socket). But the Godox triggers are even more bulky.

James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

wilberforce_1 wrote:

If you have Godox flash triggers you can use those to remote trigger the camera shutter too. (Plug a Godox receiver into the camera 10-pin socket). But the Godox triggers are even more bulky.

At least thy serve multiple functions while being bulky. I keep the Pocket Wizards around fro the same reason. 2 triggers and cables don't take up that much space in my daypack.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D5 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +6 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,781
Television remote control?

wilberforce_1 wrote:

Snapbridge works, but is a complicated solution to a simple problem. It is laggy to connect (creates a wifi network, and disconnects your phone from whatever wifi it is on), and essentially puts the camera in live view mode. If you do anything else on your phone, it dumps the connection. All that to just to trigger the shutter!

I can't be doing with all this b*ggering around with telephones. As I've said above, Pixel Oppilas is my cheap, portable and tiny solution. Before that I used the remote control for my television. Obviously, line of sight infrared communication but it worked perfectly.

At one point I made a wired remote, see: http://thehowzone.com/how/D70-Remote/1

That worked well too. All my telephone has to do is ring and be rung.

river251
OP river251 Regular Member • Posts: 464

I don't understand how a fantastic company like Nikon would have non-working bluetooth? Or for that matter non-working auto focus for video. Yet they're so great in every other respect. It's like there's a company executive who brought in snapbridge and nobody can make the company drop it. I wonder if the problems are software or hardware in nature.

wilberforce_1 Regular Member • Posts: 101

river251 wrote:

I don't understand how a fantastic company like Nikon would have non-working bluetooth? Or for that matter non-working auto focus for video. Yet they're so great in every other respect. It's like there's a company executive who brought in snapbridge and nobody can make the company drop it. I wonder if the problems are software or hardware in nature.

Snapbridge has bluetooth remote shutter release for more recent cameras, like the D780 and Z7ii, but not for the D850. The D850 can only be connected via wifi for remote photography. 
But I agree with you - it is stunning that Nikon has only just recently figured it out, for what seems like such basic, basic functionality

Paul P K
Paul P K Contributing Member • Posts: 711

I pretty much never work with a remote

But after reading this thread just for fun tried how well, or bad, it worked on my 2012 Samsung Pro (12 inch)

Despite only having Snapbridge 2.60 installed (tried updating to 2.81, but for some reason installing that version doesn't succeed) I got it working pretty reliable with both my 2018 Z6 and 2021 Z7II

Like the huge Live View I get on the tablet's screen, although the semi black out I get when taking a picture could be a problem if shooting a high speed series (which I fortunately don't intend using it for)

Of course it helps I didn't try it on  my phone, and consequently only run a limited number of functions simultaneously.

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +32 more
Verkku Regular Member • Posts: 266
Works well with iphone Re: Will Snapbridge be a reliable remote shutter release?

I had troubles with my z7, but with my new Z7 II it seems to work well with my iphone.

-- hide signature --

My gear: Z7 mark II, D810, D750, F801S, Olympus om-d em5 & EM-1, Lumix G80, Fuji x100s + too many objectives

Verkku's gear list:Verkku's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads