* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #697 on 2021 09 01 *

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 11,102
Re: Fireworks

Mike Fewster wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

This is one we could discuss forever. I dont see a case for copyright for any photos etc of a piece of art placed in a public space. That is a space that belongs to all of us. You can't claim a bit of it as your personal property. Making a copy of the object as in another sculpture is a different matter and even then, debatable.

In Australia, the National Parks claim copyright over all photos taken within the park. I'll accept their right to charge an entrance fee but having paid that, I'd argue my right to take photos without copyright restriction (unless there are cultural sensitivities involved.)

That is certainly not correct for the state of New South Wales.

In NSW approval is required for commercial filming and photography within NSW National Parks with the basic reasons being protection of the conservation values of parks - control of the impact of commercial activities within the park etc.

Regarding copyright: "NPWS does not own the copyright over any features within parks, including well-known features (such as the Three Sisters in the Blue Mountains) and built structures (such as Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour). As a result, filmmakers or photographers do not have to seek approval from NPWS to take of such features from a location outside a park"

images

refer environment.nsw.gov.au

The only limitation is that commercial film and photography conducted within a park is subject to an approval process

Peter

I need to rephrase that a little. Note that last sentence about approval not being needed "if the photo is taken from outside the park."

yes, but that has nothing to do with the copyright or ownership of the images.
"NPWS does not own the copyright over any features within parks . . ." they make no qualifications to that statement.

Within the park, yes you have "copyright" but there are provisios which I'd argue mean in fact they are asserting the copyright and sublicencing the photographer.

no, I don't agree with that at all. The license/approval is purely for the activity of conducting commercial photographic operations within the park and has no relevance to the video content or images recorded or captured.

The regulations vary.

I'm sure they do but my comments are specific to what I know about national Parks within NSW

A particularly complex set of regulations is at Uluru. Some of these regulations are to protect cultural sensitivities and I have no argument at all with this.

Apart from the red tape of application, a photographer who wants to use shots for any commercial use, needs to apply in advance and pays $20.00 per day. All photos for commercial use need to be submitted for approval (fair enough in view of the cultural issues.) However a fee is then charged for each licenced image and that licence only lasts three years.

Confession. It has been some years since I looked at the regulations. They appear to have been moderated. Some ten years ago ther was considerable anger in international photographer circles at the fees demanded for professional shooting in Australian National Parks. There was some talk of an international boycott on shooting here and much discussion about negative effects on the tourist industry. It is possible that things have been rethought.

Chris Oly Veteran Member • Posts: 6,298
Lost

Chris Oly's gear list:Chris Oly's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +2 more

Excellent shot and reality is that most people have smartphones with them all the time.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Re: Searching for Lizards

So appropriate.

Re: Botanical Garden Project Part 1

Great series.

Re: Fungus

It's a dream shot. Excellent.

Re: A kitschy photo šŸ˜„

Love is in the air...

Re: The silence of the lamp ..

What? No human human figure present! Superb!

Re: National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa

More appeal in #1.

Re: BIF. I have much to learn.

Great attempt nevertheless. Some excellent advice above.

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,853
Re: Mike ..

Mike Fewster wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

The silence of the lamp

Lou

When you began to set this up Lou, did you have your title in mind and deliberately played on our prior knowledge? Or did you set it all up and then the title came to you?

The curve of the lamp kneck and the lamp itself have created a person and a reminder that the usual inhabitant of the coat is missing. Should the coat owner be within, his/her hand might be holding those flowers. There is a suggestion of funerals. What is in the round box on the table? It has to be a critical clue.

A carefully balanced exposure. Lots of black spaces for things to be hiding in, areas where we can peer and barely make out a little detail, a beautifully exposed lamp that gives the highlight without losing detail. A note of appreciation for the repetition of parallel lines in the upholstery and venetian blinds.

Whodunnit publishers would snap up this image.

Mike first of all, this is not a setup and the name is a parody of course.

In the case of the round box, that is a piece of Chinese porcelain sometimes filled with some sweets. Once received from my sister for my wedding day that I once had in a gray past after that only girlfriends which is much more exciting

What do you mean with "Whodunnit publishers" would snap up this image?

Lou

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,803
Stabilizing cameras and ubiquitous phones

Chris Oly wrote:

Excellent shot and reality is that most people have smartphones with them all the time.

Apart from an Olympus camera (E-M1) with 2 lenses (8-25mm and 40-150mm), I also had my phone with me.

Only I did not attempt, like many, to video-record the fireworks.  It may be worth it for some, but I don't really see the point.

Arter the fireworks had ended and most people had gone home, I used the railing of the Margit Bridge to make a few images as stabilizing help for some images of the Parliament building with its magnificent lighting.

The telephoto lens drew me near with the camera.  But stabilizing lens and camera was not easy without tripod (or beanbag - I should remember to bring one of those next time),  I did manage though, in order to get a ISO 200 image.

Stabilizing the iphone was easier : just put it on the railing and press down.  But it did not get me as close, so I had to go for another kind of composition in order to avoid too much empty space.

Result :

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
Re: Lost

Chris Oly wrote:

That dead tree looks lost on that beach or river bank.

The lone flower (plastic or paper?) looks lost without companions.

The lady might be just looking at her phone for a message or a text.  But your title and the other elements of the image conspire to make us suppose that she is using Google Maps to find her way of this beach.

A thoughtful image that gets room for interpretation injected through its title.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Mikedunnit

LouHolland wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

The silence of the lamp

Lou

When you began to set this up Lou, did you have your title in mind and deliberately played on our prior knowledge? Or did you set it all up and then the title came to you?

The curve of the lamp kneck and the lamp itself have created a person and a reminder that the usual inhabitant of the coat is missing. Should the coat owner be within, his/her hand might be holding those flowers. There is a suggestion of funerals. What is in the round box on the table? It has to be a critical clue.

A carefully balanced exposure. Lots of black spaces for things to be hiding in, areas where we can peer and barely make out a little detail, a beautifully exposed lamp that gives the highlight without losing detail. A note of appreciation for the repetition of parallel lines in the upholstery and venetian blinds.

In the case of the round box, that is a piece of Chinese porcelain sometimes filled with some sweets. Once received from my sister for my wedding day that I once had in a gray past after that only girlfriends which is much more exciting

I'll go out on a limb because Mike might not return to the thread.

I believe that Mike wanted to say that publishers of mystery novels would welcome your image for a cover.

("whodunnit" is a common phrase to indicate thrillers in which the reader, or viewer for movies, needs to unravel the murder mystery together with the detective - as opposed to novels in which the criminal is our antihero and we know from the start who did it...)

Lou

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

KeesSmeele
KeesSmeele Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: Fungus

Thanks for your advice and adjustments, Andrew. It does the image well and is an improvement for sure.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kees

KeesSmeele's gear list:KeesSmeele's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
KeesSmeele
Re: Lost

Chris Oly wrote:

This is an interesting image, representing a feeling of being lost. To me the dead tree, the solid abandoned flower, the foggy  background and the cold bleu/  greyish color tones emphasize this feeling. The dark clothed figure really stand out in the image. And as black generallly not associated with joy and brightness, the lady fits well into the composition.

Well spotted!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kees

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
KeesSmeele
Re: BIF. I have much to learn.

Mike Fewster wrote:

Posted because it's on my mind. The shot was taken yesterday as we were driving to central Australia. At one spot there were clouds of budgerigars. We stopped and I headed into the bush to try to get BIF. Tried for about an hour. Crawled under fences looking for a good vantage point. Chopped up by prickles. Experimented with many different settings. Those birds move very fast and very erratically.

Here is my best shot and it isn't good.

Conclusion. I have much to learn and if I was to get serious about this, Some different gear would help but mainly, this is my learning curve to be climbed.

I agree with the advices already given. Fast moving animals are difficult to catch in focus.

I have some experiences with dog agility. They move fast, lost of hits and misses. Raise the ISO, fast shutterspeed and tracking the moving animal. Best results with S-AF for me. They move fast, delivering lots of hits and misses. There is one advantage with agility dogs compared to birds Dogs have to follow a prescribed course, so you can prefocus on a good place in the course. But birds follow there own way.......

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kees

KeesSmeele
Re: A kitschy photo šŸ˜„

Kumsal wrote:

This reminds me to a advertising campaign from our national arline (KLM) some years a go. They used swans in different settings. Your image brought back the memory to me immediately.

I love the tenderness that the swans show to each other, metaphorical emphasized by the hart-shape of their necks.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kees

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,853
Re: Mikedunnit

RoelHendrickx wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

The silence of the lamp

Lou

And In case of the round box, that is a piece of Chinese porcelain sometimes filled with some sweets. Once received from my sister for my wedding day that I once had in a gray past after that only girlfriends which is much more exciting

I'll go out on a limb because Mike might not return to the thread.

I believe that Mike wanted to say that publishers of mystery novels would welcome your image for a cover.

("whodunnit" is a common phrase to indicate thrillers in which the reader, or viewer for movies, needs to unravel the murder mystery together with the detective - as opposed to novels in which the criminal is our antihero and we know from the start who did it...)

Lou

I understand and I should have known it. Thank Roel, for your explanation.

Lou

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,654

Messier Object wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

This is one we could discuss forever. I dont see a case for copyright for any photos etc of a piece of art placed in a public space. That is a space that belongs to all of us. You can't claim a bit of it as your personal property. Making a copy of the object as in another sculpture is a different matter and even then, debatable.

In Australia, the National Parks claim copyright over all photos taken within the park. I'll accept their right to charge an entrance fee but having paid that, I'd argue my right to take photos without copyright restriction (unless there are cultural sensitivities involved.)

That is certainly not correct for the state of New South Wales.

In NSW approval is required for commercial filming and photography within NSW National Parks with the basic reasons being protection of the conservation values of parks - control of the impact of commercial activities within the park etc.

Regarding copyright: "NPWS does not own the copyright over any features within parks, including well-known features (such as the Three Sisters in the Blue Mountains) and built structures (such as Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour). As a result, filmmakers or photographers do not have to seek approval from NPWS to take of such features from a location outside a park"

images

refer environment.nsw.gov.au

The only limitation is that commercial film and photography conducted within a park is subject to an approval process

Peter

I need to rephrase that a little. Note that last sentence about approval not being needed "if the photo is taken from outside the park."

yes, but that has nothing to do with the copyright or ownership of the images.
"NPWS does not own the copyright over any features within parks . . ." they make no qualifications to that statement.

Within the park, yes you have "copyright" but there are provisios which I'd argue mean in fact they are asserting the copyright and sublicencing the photographer.

no, I don't agree with that at all. The license/approval is purely for the activity of conducting commercial photographic operations within the park and has no relevance to the video content or images recorded or captured.

The regulations vary.

I'm sure they do but my comments are specific to what I know about national Parks within NSW

A particularly complex set of regulations is at Uluru. Some of these regulations are to protect cultural sensitivities and I have no argument at all with this.

Apart from the red tape of application, a photographer who wants to use shots for any commercial use, needs to apply in advance and pays $20.00 per day. All photos for commercial use need to be submitted for approval (fair enough in view of the cultural issues.) However a fee is then charged for each licenced image and that licence only lasts three years.

Confession. It has been some years since I looked at the regulations. They appear to have been moderated. Some ten years ago ther was considerable anger in international photographer circles at the fees demanded for professional shooting in Australian National Parks. There was some talk of an international boycott on shooting here and much discussion about negative effects on the tourist industry. It is possible that things have been rethought.

I used the word "copyright" very loosely and I was incorrect to do so.  We are really talking about the rights of photographers in regard to what they shoot (taking up a point from minniev's post)

"National Park" is a confusing term here. There are designated "national " parks that are in fact state responsibilities and there are designated "National Parks" that are Commonwealth administered. The Commonwealth National Parks have more restrictive controls.

Spurred on a bit by Peter's post I went out a bit to look at some images. The situation seems to have become blurred in recent years. there are lots of images around that I think technically might be illegal but because they have been "painted" rather than straight photographs (even when almost certainly taken from a photograph), they don't seem to have a problem. Then there are shots blatantly outside guidelines as to the time when it is legal to take shots, or photos where night skies are probably composite shots (also illegal under Commonwealth guidelines). I get the feeling that the technology has been changing so fast that it has become very difficult to frame enforceable legislation.

I also found sequences obviously taken from drones being used in official advertising at places where use of drones is banned for regular photographers.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads