Grey market D3400...

Started 3 months ago | Questions
geophotoguy Junior Member • Posts: 48
Grey market D3400...

If I purchase a brand new Grey Market (Import) Nikon D3400 from 42nd Street Camera (or Willoughby's Photo) in NYC, would the camera come with English markings?  For example, would the PASM dial be marked as such?  Or would the markings be in a foreign language?

ANSWER:
Nikon D3400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 5,357
Re: Grey market D3400...

It'll be using the normal lettering.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
DaveG16 Regular Member • Posts: 400

I wouldn't purchase from anyone who won't answer basic questions about what I'm buying....

That said, my D5100 came to me from a Japanese seller on eBay. The camera's box label with features, s/n, etc. is completely in Japanese -- the s/n on the box matches the s/n on the camera and the number sequence is from the range sold in Japan (2012nnn). I'm fairly certain the camera was originally sold and owned in Japan.

There was no manual, so no issue there. I downloaded an English version from Nikon USA.

The selector knob with PASM, Scene, Effects, Auto, etc. and markings such as HDMI, Mic, are Roman letters that abbreviate the English meaning (e.g., program, aperture, shutter, manual; high definition multimedia interface; microphone, etc.)

The menus were also in English, but that may have been a courtesy done by the seller. Had he not done that, it would have been fairly easy to coax the menu into English via the Setup menu, had the menus been in Japanese, since each category of menu is indicated by an icon (a wrench for Setup, for example).

-- hide signature --

Dave G.
There are no real negatives in digital photography.

DaveG16's gear list:DaveG16's gear list
Nikon D5100
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,672
基本的な日本語を学ぶ良い方法

romfordbluenose wrote:

It'll be using the normal lettering.

But if not, this would be a good way to  learn basic Japanese as well as a good way to obtain a decent camera a little more cheaply?

Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,218

I’m sure the markings - PSAM, etc. - will be in Roman/English characters but I’d be more concerned about the menus.

With USA market bodies the setup menu gives you the choice of about 36 languages, including of course English. I have read that this may not always be so for imported, gray market items.

Another issue will be the warranty. You won’t have a Nikon factory warranty and Nikon USA will not service gray market items. The seller will probably offer you their own warranty but this may be useless as Nikon has stopped selling replacement parts, even to authorized repair companies.

But, of course, you’ll get the item much cheaper.

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP geophotoguy Junior Member • Posts: 48

Ok thank you all for the comments...I think I will forgo the much cheaper Grey Market option...just too many "unknowns and maybes"...although I know many have had good luck with such purchases.  I will stick to B&H and Adorama and Amazon...regards to all who replied.

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,443

geophotoguy wrote:

Ok thank you all for the comments...I think I will forgo the much cheaper Grey Market option...just too many "unknowns and maybes"...although I know many have had good luck with such purchases. I will stick to B&H and Adorama and Amazon...regards to all who replied.

Just be aware that B&H sometimes sells both USA and "Imported" (grey market) products at the same price, like this D3500:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon%20d3500&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Blufftonian

Patco wrote

Just be aware that B&H sometimes sells both USA and "Imported" (grey market) products at the same price, like this D3500:

That’s interesting!

I like B&H and I’ve bought a ton of stuff from them over the years - I used to work a few blocks away from their store in NYC - but why would anyone pay the same price for a grey market item?  I mean I know they provide their own warranty but I’d much rather have the Nikon USA one.

Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
m1964 Contributing Member • Posts: 754

Blufftonian wrote:

Patco wrote

That’s interesting!

I like B&H and I’ve bought a ton of stuff from them over the years - I used to work a few blocks away from their store in NYC - but why would anyone pay the same price for a grey market item? I mean I know they provide their own warranty but I’d much rather have the Nikon USA one.

Because the genuine one is not in stock but the gray one is.

m1964's gear list:m1964's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
Blufftonian

I guess if a model isn’t in stock the advertised price is immaterial.

I’m surprised B&H has so few Nikon USA models in stock.  High demand?  Low supply?  Or a combination of both.

m1964 wrote:

Blufftonian wrote:

That’s interesting!

I like B&H and I’ve bought a ton of stuff from them over the years - I used to work a few blocks away from their store in NYC - but why would anyone pay the same price for a grey market item? I mean I know they provide their own warranty but I’d much rather have the Nikon USA one.

I was just answering your question.

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
Blufftonian

m1964 wrote:

m1964 wrote:

Blufftonian wrote:

That’s interesting!

I was just answering your question.

Oh I understand, and thanks for your answer.

I guess I’m just surprised that they would want the Nikon USA list price for that grey market kit, even though they don’t have the USA kit in stock.

I guess some people would buy at that price after hearing about "chips shortages", etc.

Blufftonian

m1964 wrote:

I guess some people would buy at that price after hearing about "chips shortages", etc.

I think grey market may actually now be the only option with the D3500.

From Nikon Rumours back in January…

Nikon Japan (translated) is now listing the Nikon D3500 and D5600 DSLR cameras as “old products” which historically is an indication that the two models are already or will soon be discontinued

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/01/11/nikon-d3500-and-d5600-listed-as-discontinued.aspx/#ixzz75d7pkaUi

Blufftonian wrote:

m1964 wrote:

I think grey market may actually now be the only option with the D3500.

From Nikon Rumours back in January…

Nikon Japan (translated) is now listing the Nikon D3500 and D5600 DSLR cameras as “old products” which historically is an indication that the two models are already or will soon be discontinued

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/01/11/nikon-d3500-and-d5600-listed-as-discontinued.aspx/#ixzz75d7pkaUi

I would not be surprised- more money in selling Z50/Zfc which are probably easier to produce since there is no mirror box.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads