On1 new features announced

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
ADW02 Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: On1 new features announced

srock wrote:

You could still use 2021 (dont install 2022) and your workflow wont change. Get the add-ins if you think there is an added feature/benefit of 2022 for you (I dont think for you it will change anything given your current workflow)

There is not a lot of info from On1 yet prerelease. If worse comes to worse and you feel you are missing something you can always jump in later. You will pay a bit more , but will know what you are getting and what you needed.

For me, its different-I live in On1 happily. There are a raft of new features (NoNoise, ability to use PS addins, Backup of data, sky replacement, Time lapse to name a few) to keep me happy.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the time you've taken to fully explain everything I needed to know.

Because of competition, companies can only stay in business if they innovate, but customers need to know when the latest features are going to be beneficial enough to justify the expense to them. On1 certainly is a great photo development/enhancement program, but for my particular desires right at the moment can't quite compete with Photoshop. 2023 could well be different.

I would have two main desires with On1: First, that compositing could compete on a professional basis comparable with Adobe, and secondly, that On1 could be a central processing hub for all other development programs. On1 isn't there yet on either score, but their development team is always cooking up something that is quite different from the competition. For now, though, I think I'll be perfectly happy with On1 2021.

Thanks again for all your help.

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,738
Re: On1 new features announced

As an owner of both ON1 Photo Raw 2021 and NoNoise 2021 I hope for a discount on ON1 Photo Raw 2022 with integrated NoNoise. After all, I have already payed for NoNoise.

-- hide signature --

If you want to be equal, you have to be better...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
chemist47 Regular Member • Posts: 148
Re: On1 new features announced

I downloaded trial version of On1 PhotoRAW and I am very disappointed.One of my cameras is Canon PowerShot G5X Mark 3 and apparently it is not supported by On1. All raw photos have horrible distortions and even manual slider in lens correction does not help very much. Anyone found solution?

gh172 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: On1 new features announced

I purchased NoNoise recently and was planning on purchasing  Photo Raw 21. It sounds like it would be pointless going ahead until the 2022 version is available.  Would I only have to pay an upgrade fee rather than the full price given I've already purchased NoNoise?

Hustle76 Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: On1 new features announced

gh172 wrote:

I purchased NoNoise recently and was planning on purchasing Photo Raw 21. It sounds like it would be pointless going ahead until the 2022 version is available. Would I only have to pay an upgrade fee rather than the full price given I've already purchased NoNoise?

Unlikely, I would say - they are two different pieces of software, priced differently.

NoNoise was released as a stand alone app, which is also available as part of the Professional Plugin Collection - and that will continue after ON1 RAW 2022 is released.

When launched, it was said that NoNoise’s functionality would be added to ON1 2022 - but users on the subscription model would be able to use NoNoise straight away. 
ON1 might offer NoNoise owners some kind of deal when 2022 launches but I’m not aware of them doing it for people that only own one standalone app. It might be worth contacting customer service about it - I’ve found them very good in the past.

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,310
Re: On1 new features announced

srock wrote:

To the best of my understanding, an plug-in does this:

Converts your RAW Photo to TIF or PSD with or without corrections and with a new name and forwards it to the plugin target application

waits in the background as you use the new program for additional processing

And in general:

when you are done with the additional program processing and save will intercept and forward the save to the original directory it came from and if necessary issue a refresh command so the newly processed photo shows up in the original program for further processing (completing the round trip ).

All plugins do this to a greater or lesser extent

On1 had a series of exe modules in the program directory which could each be called by another program and that functionality will seemingly change in 2022. On1 users will be able to use plugins designed to be called by PS or LR to add that functionality to On1 use. On1 users can use that functionality to call Affinity or Luminar for example from On1. Adobe customers or for example affinity users who used to call the effects module from with a PS plug-in will have to use the new plugins as they will no longer see separate modules to call.

This is my best guess in following the development emails I have been getting, but no definitive word from the developer exists

Steve

Thank you for the reply Steve.  Do you have PS CC?  Go up along the top where it says "plugins".  Browse those and you'll see the new breed of plugins that work directly inside of PS CC, so there is no round trip like we are used to.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
gh172 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: On1 new features announced

.

gh172 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: On1 new features announced

Hustle76 wrote:

gh172 wrote:

I purchased NoNoise recently and was planning on purchasing Photo Raw 21. It sounds like it would be pointless going ahead until the 2022 version is available. Would I only have to pay an upgrade fee rather than the full price given I've already purchased NoNoise?

Unlikely, I would say - they are two different pieces of software, priced differently.

NoNoise was released as a stand alone app, which is also available as part of the Professional Plugin Collection - and that will continue after ON1 RAW 2022 is released.

When launched, it was said that NoNoise’s functionality would be added to ON1 2022 - but users on the subscription model would be able to use NoNoise straight away.
ON1 might offer NoNoise owners some kind of deal when 2022 launches but I’m not aware of them doing it for people that only own one standalone app. It might be worth contacting customer service about it - I’ve found them very good in the past.

I think I Jumped in to On1 NoNoise having seen a online review and a good discounted price. I'm also in need of new photo editing software and was planning on getting the new 2022 version that will have it incorporated assuming It would be offered as an upgrade. I just completed a trial of DXO Photolab 4 Elite and loved Deep Prime and the fact it is incorporated into the editing software. Thanks for your feedback, I will contact customer service and I hope they will offer it as an upgrade. I think it's actually a bit of a pain using it as a stand alone option and will have been money wasted if I have to pay full price for the 2022 version of photo raw.

SdeGat
SdeGat Contributing Member • Posts: 870
Re: ON1 RAW 2022 no longer includes FX?
1

 SdeGat's gear list:SdeGat's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 50S II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
OP srock Contributing Member • Posts: 714
Re: ON1 RAW 2022 no longer includes FX?
1

I just want to say again, On1 has two products that address two very different needs. The first is On1 Photo Raw 2022 which is for those who want to use On1PR as the center of their work using the DAM, Raw Converter and modules such as Effects, the new deNoise , Portraits, HDR, Panorama etc. For me this is a complete solution and with the ability to use PS addins, nicely fills my needs.

There is a second solution offered for those that want to use PS, LR PL1 or others programs as their hub. The plugins suite will call the effects, denoise and portrait modules etc and allow the functionality of the finishing modules that On1 is known for, while still allowing their usual workflow.

In the short term, you could just hold on to On1 2021 and do both but you would lose access to the new deNoise and other new modules. Not the best solution IMHO.

I think they are trying to address the needs of most photographic communities in the context of maintaining a solid business model and trying to expand their reach.

Steve

 srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
Hustle76 Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: On1 new features announced

gh172 wrote:

Hustle76 wrote:

gh172 wrote:

I purchased NoNoise recently and was planning on purchasing Photo Raw 21. It sounds like it would be pointless going ahead until the 2022 version is available. Would I only have to pay an upgrade fee rather than the full price given I've already purchased NoNoise?

Unlikely, I would say - they are two different pieces of software, priced differently.

NoNoise was released as a stand alone app, which is also available as part of the Professional Plugin Collection - and that will continue after ON1 RAW 2022 is released.

When launched, it was said that NoNoise’s functionality would be added to ON1 2022 - but users on the subscription model would be able to use NoNoise straight away.
ON1 might offer NoNoise owners some kind of deal when 2022 launches but I’m not aware of them doing it for people that only own one standalone app. It might be worth contacting customer service about it - I’ve found them very good in the past.

I think I Jumped in to On1 NoNoise having seen a online review and a good discounted price. I'm also in need of new photo editing software and was planning on getting the new 2022 version that will have it incorporated assuming It would be offered as an upgrade. I just completed a trial of DXO Photolab 4 Elite and loved Deep Prime and the fact it is incorporated into the editing software. Thanks for your feedback, I will contact customer service and I hope they will offer it as an upgrade. I think it's actually a bit of a pain using it as a stand alone option and will have been money wasted if I have to pay full price for the 2022 version of photo raw.

No problem at all!

In the ON1 forums, someone who had purchased NoNoise, said that anyone who had would be sent a coupon when ON1 RAW 2022 is officially - but what the coupon will be good for won't be known until then.

They didn't say how they knew this and obviously can't say if that's going to be the case, but offering some sort of discount has a lot of logic, particularly when NoNoise's release was so close to the RAW 2022 coming out. And the more people asking about this, can't hurt!

With NoNoise as a standalone app - based on on my experience with the other apps/plug-ins, if someone is using it with other software, then it's a more streamlined experience than going between other software and ON1 RAW. However, I often do the latter as that way, I can access the other modules in ON1 RAW - the roundtrip is slightly longer, but this way I only need to make it once, which can prove quicker.

gh172 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: On1 new features announced

I think it would have been more appropriate if they had held off on the launch of NoNoise until they'd at least announced the integrated version of photo raw. Almost feels like a bit of a quick cash grab. Customers would then  have had the choice of which way we'd want to purchase it. I need new photo editing software, and after trialling several different software packages, so far DXO PHOTOLAB ELITE has been my favourite  option with the integration of Deep Prime. I was hoping that the version of NoNoise I had already purchased would be integrated eventually. Disappointed that won't be the case.

page3 Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: On1 new features announced

Looks good, but I was really hoping for-

  • faces and object recognition
  • Improved network support.

It seems we have so many applications competing on editing features while the DAM side gets ignored, or at the very most progresses as glacial pace.

JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,362
Re: On1 new features announced

gh172 wrote:

I think it would have been more appropriate if they had held off on the launch of NoNoise until they'd at least announced the integrated version of photo raw. Almost feels like a bit of a quick cash grab. Customers would then have had the choice of which way we'd want to purchase it. I need new photo editing software, and after trialling several different software packages, so far DXO PHOTOLAB ELITE has been my favourite option with the integration of Deep Prime. I was hoping that the version of NoNoise I had already purchased would be integrated eventually. Disappointed that won't be the case.

Yes, NoNoise will be integrated in Photo RAW 2022. Just got this in an email today:

ON1 Photo RAW 2022 – NoNoise AI – ON1

 JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Sony RX100 VII Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +2 more
Hustle76 Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: On1 new features announced

JimH123 wrote:

gh172 wrote:

I think it would have been more appropriate if they had held off on the launch of NoNoise until they'd at least announced the integrated version of photo raw. Almost feels like a bit of a quick cash grab. Customers would then have had the choice of which way we'd want to purchase it. I need new photo editing software, and after trialling several different software packages, so far DXO PHOTOLAB ELITE has been my favourite option with the integration of Deep Prime. I was hoping that the version of NoNoise I had already purchased would be integrated eventually. Disappointed that won't be the case.

Yes, NoNoise will be integrated in Photo RAW 2022. Just got this in an email today:

ON1 Photo RAW 2022 – NoNoise AI – ON1

ON1 confirmed this was going to happen back in March - and that users on the subscription package would receive it earlier. 
A similar thing happened with Portrait AI, it was available separately before being integrated into the next version of ON1 RAW.

Batska
Batska Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: ON1 RAW 2022 no longer includes FX?

Sylvain C. wrote:

So really, for those of us who use CaptureOne/Affinity (and don't plan on switching to the new product) the option to buy the plugins that work with both those programs as of now - that won't change?

 Batska's gear list:Batska's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +16 more
OP srock Contributing Member • Posts: 714
Re: ON1 RAW 2022 no longer includes FX?

I am not exactly sure what your question is. See my explanation a couple of posts above. If that doesn’t clarify , ask again

Steve

 srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
Haddington
Haddington Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: On1 new features announced
1

page3 wrote:

Looks good, but I was really hoping for-

  • faces and object recognition
  • Improved network support.

It seems we have so many applications competing on editing features while the DAM side gets ignored, or at the very most progresses as glacial pace.

This, 100%. On1's DAM is very poor compared to, say, ACDSee. I want to love PhotoRaw. I'll probably buy the update because NoNoise and the (promised) AI upscaling are really useful for my workflow. But I'll still manage my photos in ACDSee.

 Haddington's gear list:Haddington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
OP srock Contributing Member • Posts: 714
Re: On1 new features announced

I hope the upgrades are as good as promised. I am enthusiastic about all of them. I purchased my upgrade last night and am waiting for the release late this month (They have never in my experience released early so I am guessing Oct 1 or 2).

I have been told that on1 No noise will improve the overall demoasicing which I am hopeful is true.

A major wish for the next upgrade would be upgrading the print module. The three best remain LR, the canon print utility (only LR and PS plugin)  and Qimage (very flexible but very odd interface.

I have settled on On1 which I am in general very happy with with occasional trips out to Nik, affinity, Luminar or PL4. There isn't alot that I want to do that I can't with this combo. I must say that in the beginning there was a little sacrifice, but no longer. The non Adobe tools are getting very powerful and easy to use.

Steve

 srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
bastibe Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Re: On1 new features announced

So, umm, ON1 can be used as a plug-in IIRC, right? And it can use plugins. Can I call ON1 from ON1?

 bastibe's gear list:bastibe's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sony RX1 Panasonic LX100 II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads