On1 new features announced

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
srock Contributing Member • Posts: 740
On1 new features announced

Not interested in contesting the pros and cons of ON1 here.

For those like me who are committed users, On1 has begun to tease a variety of features which will be integrated into the 2022 upgrade and it appears to be a blockbuster.

Among the new features announced:

Full integration of On1 NoNoise

Sky replacement

Backup and restore (very much on my wishlist)

Time lapse

Able to use PS plugins!

Improved export choices

I am very pleased as these will be useful additions to my workflow,  Happy camper so far. Looking forward to the release in a month or 2.

Steve

srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
billimbriale1 Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: On1 new features announced

Thanks for the update Steve. Be well.

Coasting Regular Member • Posts: 328

I look forwaed to some of these.Ive been testing and using the latest from these guys and very impressed.Easy to use and most of the bugs seemed to have been sorted and its developed into a very mature and nice editing software app

Coasting's gear list:Coasting's gear list
Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
SdeGat
SdeGat Contributing Member • Posts: 873
ON1 RAW 2022 no longer includes FX?

I’ve been using ON1 for many years too but am disappointed to see that we will have to pay extra in 2022 for modules that used to be part of the “normal” ON1 package.
Is that a disguised increase or am I missing something?

SdeGat's gear list:SdeGat's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 50S II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Steg Saurus New Member • Posts: 4
Re: ON1 RAW 2022 no longer includes FX?

Source? Links?

Steg Saurus's gear list:Steg Saurus's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III +24 more
Haddington
Haddington Forum Member • Posts: 69

It's very much a price increase. PhotoRaw 2022 can't be used as a plugin, you need to buy the professional plugin suite separately.

Haddington's gear list:Haddington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
jfk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,074

My understanding is that you pay extra for the plugin's, standalone packages, and the optional plus membership.  The 2022 update without this will be available later, but includes the new features without being able to use in photoshop or as standalone apps.

If my understanding is incorrect please let me know before the special ends.

jfk

Acmespaceship
Acmespaceship Regular Member • Posts: 317

jfk wrote:

My understanding is that you pay extra for the plugin's, standalone packages, and the optional plus membership. The 2022 update without this will be available later, but includes the new features without being able to use in photoshop or as standalone apps.

I think you're correct, based on my reading of the FAQs about ON1's latest offer. They say Photo Raw 2022 standalone will include all the new feature capabilities. They also say the pricing for that upgrade will be announced later.

What they are trying to sell us now is a bundle that includes the standalone software and also plugins for Photoshop. A combo that doesn't make sense for me, but I suppose there are people who want both.

Too bad that info was buried on their website and not in the email they sent me. Hopefully, as they de-couple these two entirely different product lines, this will be less confusing in the future.

OP srock Contributing Member • Posts: 740

I agree. For someone like myself who uses the program primarily, the new features are a welcome addition and there is really no loss of function. Those who continue to use Adobe products as their primary processing center, will generally want the plug-in bundle as it will suit their needs better.

I don’t see a lot of losers here.

Steve

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
Tschens Junior Member • Posts: 46

jfk wrote:

My understanding is that you pay extra for the plugin's, standalone packages, and the optional plus membership. The 2022 update without this will be available later, but includes the new features without being able to use in photoshop or as standalone apps.

If my understanding is incorrect please let me know before the special ends.

jfk

To my understanding, this is not correct. They explicitly write on their website that plugins will be no longer included in Photo RAW 2022.

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,532

srock wrote:

For those like me who are committed users, On1 has begun to tease a variety of features which will be integrated into the 2022 upgrade and it appears to be a blockbuster.

Sky replacement

Time lapse

Able to use PS plugins!

Is that that the new type of "plugins" that work totally within PS CC without ever leaving or making a round trip?  That is the type of PS plugin that my Raya Pro Luma panel is, and that works fantastic.

Improved export choices

I am very pleased as these will be useful additions to my workflow, Happy camper so far. Looking forward to the release in a month or 2.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more

To the best of my understanding, an plug-in does this:

Converts your RAW Photo to TIF or PSD with or without corrections and with a new name and  forwards it to the plugin target application

waits in the background as  you use the new program for additional processing

And in general:

when you are done with the additional program processing and save will intercept and forward the save to the original directory it came from and if necessary issue a refresh command so the newly processed photo shows up in the original program for further processing (completing the round trip ).

All plugins do this to a greater or lesser extent

On1 had a series of exe modules in the program directory which could each be called by another program and that functionality will seemingly change in 2022. On1 users will be able to use plugins designed to be called by PS or LR to add that functionality to On1 use. On1 users can use that functionality to call Affinity or Luminar for example from On1. Adobe customers or for example affinity users who used to call the effects module from with  a  PS plug-in will have to use the new plugins as they will no longer see separate modules to call.

This is my best guess in following the development emails I have been getting, but no definitive word from the developer exists

Steve

ADW02 Contributing Member • Posts: 544

srock wrote:

Sky replacement

Time lapse

Able to use PS plugins!

Improved export choices

I am very pleased as these will be useful additions to my workflow, Happy camper so far. Looking forward to the release in a month or 2.

Steve

We've only got a few hours left before the end of the August pre-release sale, but for those of us who use On1 to any degree I believe a choice has to be made. If I'm interpreting the company's ad correctly, for something like an additional $60 over their regular update price it will  be possible to use plug-ins from Adobe in On1 that are made by other companies (such as Luminar and Topaz).

I'll be the first to admit that I'm confused here. On1 is obviously developing its own stable of enhancements to compete directly with those other companies. Does the basic upgrade price of, I believe, $89 for On1 2022 entitle the buyer to have access to all of On1's newest and latest enhancements, such as NoNoise and their sky replacement? Or do I have to pay $149 to have access to all of them? Of course, that $149 includes a one-year membership to On1+, but beyond that I can't see the value of paying an extra $60 just to be able to use Photoshop's plug-ins. Clearly, I'm missing something here. Before the clock strikes midnight, would someone kindly explain what I'm misunderstanding here.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone may care to give me.

If you want to call any of the On1modules (such as Effects)  FROM Adobe or FROM Luminar or FROM Affinity you will need the plugins from ON1.

If you want to call Affinity or Photoshop or Nix or Luminar From On1, you can do that already from ON (send To command) but they have enhanced this.

If On1 is the center of your phot universe (It is for me...) I only need On1 2022

If you start in Adobe or PL4 or Luminar or Affinity or another program and want to use ON1 Effects or Portrait or the new NoNoise you will need the Plugins

If you sometimes start in PS and sometimes in On1 then the bundle will work well for you

Hope this helps

Steve

srock wrote:

If you want to call any of the On1modules (such as Effects) FROM Adobe or FROM Luminar or FROM Affinity you will need the plugins from ON1.

If you want to call Affinity or Photoshop or Nix or Luminar From On1, you can do that already from ON (send To command) but they have enhanced this.

If On1 is the center of your phot universe (It is for me...) I only need On1 2022

If you start in Adobe or PL4 or Luminar or Affinity or another program and want to use ON1 Effects or Portrait or the new NoNoise you will need the Plugins

If you sometimes start in PS and sometimes in On1 then the bundle will work well for you

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve, I very much appreciate the clarification, and if there is anything you would like to add to that, please feel free to do so, as there are only a few hours left before the pre-sale ends.

With that, I'd like to tell you how my workflow works, and what I now plan to do. If you would like to comment on that, please go ahead.

I use PS as my main editor, although I don't always go to it first. My main camera is the Canon 5DsR, and when I need to use high ISO settings, the resulting RAW images can really be quite noisy. I will first send those images to DxO Deep Prime, and this does a wonderful job of removing nearly all the noise in a RAW image. (And I must be honest with you here--I tested On1 NoNoise in every way possible, using the automatic and manual features to the nth degree, and in no way could the results from On1 compare with Deep Prime.) When Deep Prime has processed the image I have it send the RAW file to Adobe Camera Raw. (And I guess I could also have it sent to On1 2022.)

On most occasions I won't use ACR, or will use it only very lightly, and will instead open the file in PS and send it for adjustments to either On1 or Luminar AI. After enhancements are made in either of those programs, the file is then automatically sent straight back to PS. It's this convenience of using PS as a central processing hub, saving me a lot of time and effort, that still makes Adobe 'King of the Hill' for me.  This by itself wouldn't make PS my developer of choice, but it's the fact that PS can create composite images much more professionally than anyone else that keeps me using the program.

On1 RAW 2021 gives me everything I need right now, in terms of development and filter enhancements, and I can easily access the program through the PS Filters menu. I can't find even one new development from On1 2022 that is superior to those of PS, DxO, Topaz or Skylum. I've got at least a zillion apps similar or superior to what On1 2022 is adding as an early-bird bonus, and while On1+ is nice, there is no way I'm going to spend $149 just to get that.

If there is a flaw in my reasoning, I will ask you to please feel free to show me where my thinking is wrong.

The issue is that you are using the Effects module of On1 2021, and it sounds like  your ability to do that will end in On1 2022 as the various modules will not be able to be called individually  in 2022.

You can continue to work in 2021, since the new modules and capabilities dont interest you, and the Effects module hasn't changed (as far as I know) or purchase the plugin for Effects alone, or the plugin bundle to get stand alones/plugins of each of the modules.

I use On1 every day as my center and am very pleased with that. I use Affinity, NIk, Luminar, PL4 as extenders when I need to and am excited that I will be able to call a raft of PS plugins (hopefully some .8bfs as well). For me the masking abilities of On1 are unmatched and the program workflow really works for me. As they add capabilities, I find myself leaving On1 less and less.

I like PL4 but it still has a difficult and clunky interface and I find myself tearing my hair out each time I wait for NR. I cant live without Nik Silver effects though...

I keep buying Luminar and each time asking myself why...

Affinity is just so cool...

Steve

SdeGat
SdeGat Contributing Member • Posts: 873

srock wrote:

(…)

(…)

Steve has a good summary 👍

Given that I normally start with Lightroom, I’m stuck buying the plugins at an extra cost 😢

SdeGat's gear list:SdeGat's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 50S II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more

It depends on what modules you use.

If it is the Effects, or Portrait modules just continue using the ones from 2021, if you want to access NoNoise that will require an addin purchase.

You just have to see what modules you are currently using and whether there is a change to them in 2022 that you will need to keep your workflow at its best or whether there are new features you would like.

Steve

srock wrote:

It depends on what modules you use.

If it is the Effects, or Portrait modules just continue using the ones from 2021, if you want to access NoNoise that will require an addin purchase.

You just have to see what modules you are currently using and whether there is a change to them in 2022 that you will need to keep your workflow at its best or whether there are new features you would like.

Steve

Steve, you've brought up good points. For myself, DxO Deep Prime answers very nearly all of my noise issues with my Canon 5DsR (and I also have Topaz, which oddly seems to fill in what Deep Prime doesn't precisely cover. Please, don't make me try to explain that.)

Regarding sky replacements, Luminar and Photoshop are good enough for me. And for Effects, I'm assuming that although I won't be able to use anything made for the 2022 version, I believe I should be able to use everything made up to 2021. At the moment I don't think those will be unusable.

However, I may be wrong in my thinking. If I am, by all means please feel free to respond to me. I still have about six hours Central U.S. time to make a decision.

Thanks for all help and advice.

You could still use 2021 (dont install 2022) and your workflow wont change. Get the add-ins if you think there is an added feature/benefit of 2022 for you (I dont think for you it will change anything given your current workflow)

There is not a lot of info from On1 yet prerelease. If worse comes to worse and you feel you are missing something you can always jump in later. You will pay a bit more , but will know what you are getting and what you needed.

For me, its different-I live in On1 happily.  There are a raft of new features (NoNoise, ability to use PS addins, Backup of data, sky replacement, Time lapse to name a few) to keep me happy.

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads