H-Alpha 12 nm filters

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
skyandcave New Member • Posts: 2
H-Alpha 12 nm filters

Does anyone have any experience with either using or replacing their filters for astrophotography?

Saw the Astronomik H-Alpha 12 nm and it is all way over my head currently. Are they worth it?

swimswithtrout Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892
Re: H-Alpha 12 nm filters

Is your camera modded ? Do you have a mount capable of 6-8 minute exposures ? Using a narrowband Ha filter on a dSLR is somewhat of a waste, because only 1 pixel out of 4 is going to get any signal and the other three will be all noise. Add to that, if your camera is not modded, Ha response can vary from 15-30%  due to manufacturers built in IR filters so 70-85% of it is being blocked by the filter.

Nowadays, it is far more efficient to use something like the the Optolong L Enhance or L-Extreme filters that also have a narrowband Oiii filter built in as well.

I just took this last night in a 88% moon using the L-Enhance on my modded D5300.

Rutgerbus Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

Here you have a comparison what you can expect when you use a 12nm Ha filter.

Both were shot with a non-modified Sony A6000 from roughly the same area in the sky although with different lenses. (Cygnus region).

You see that the Ha-data shows much more gas clouds but only in B&W compared to the "just color" image. Can you imagine what you will get if you combine both color and Ha-data

-- hide signature --

www.rutgerbus.nl
Photographic Moments
A photon only stops "existing" when it is captured by your sensor.

Rutgerbus's gear list:Rutgerbus's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,255

swimswithtrout wrote:

Is your camera modded ? Do you have a mount capable of 6-8 minute exposures ? Using a narrowband Ha filter on a dSLR is somewhat of a waste, because only 1 pixel out of 4 is going to get any signal and the other three will be all noise.

You use only the red channel and you can filter out the other three (2xgreen and 1xblue), so that noise does not bother you.

Add to that, if your camera is not modded, Ha response can vary from 15-30% due to manufacturers built in IR filters so 70-85% of it is being blocked by the filter.

Nowadays, it is far more efficient to use something like the the Optolong L Enhance or L-Extreme filters that also have a narrowband Oiii filter built in as well.

I just took this last night in a 88% moon using the L-Enhance on my modded D5300.

Well, I can take decent images with my unmodded Canon 6D using an L-enhance filter and sometimes combine it with RGB.

20x3min L-enhance 110mm (aperture)  ED scope f/5.6

20x30sec RGB + 20x2min L-enhance combined. Mars + Pleiades + CA nebula. Canon 85mm f/1.8.

Modding is indeed better, but moderner bodies (and even my 8 years old 6D) allow making decent pictures of the weak attenuated by 75% Halpha signal, if you have enough frames and decent post processing.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +6 more
swimswithtrout Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892

mermaidkiller wrote:

swimswithtrout wrote:

Is your camera modded ? Do you have a mount capable of 6-8 minute exposures ? Using a narrowband Ha filter on a dSLR is somewhat of a waste, because only 1 pixel out of 4 is going to get any signal and the other three will be all noise.

You use only the red channel and you can filter out the other three (2xgreen and 1xblue), so that noise does not bother you.

Add to that, if your camera is not modded, Ha response can vary from 15-30% due to manufacturers built in IR filters so 70-85% of it is being blocked by the filter.

Well, I can take decent images with my unmodded Canon 6D using an L-enhance filter and sometimes combine it with RGB.

20x3min L-enhance 110mm (aperture) ED scope f/5.6

Modding is indeed better, but moderner bodies (and even my 8 years old 6D) allow making decent pictures of the weak attenuated by 75% Halpha signal, if you have enough frames and decent post processing.

Same target, L-Enhance, 100% full moon, modded D5300, f6.5 showing all the Ha the stock cam missed

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads