RF lenses in europe

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Reservoir_Dog Regular Member • Posts: 232
RF lenses in europe

Simple, there is no stock??

Just bought a R5 and RF 35 1.8, now im stuck with only that lens. (but its a very good lens)

I just want to buy some other lenses, but there is just no stock, and its end august now. Is this only in europe like this or everywhere?

Greetings

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,867
Re: RF lenses in europe

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Just bought a R5 and RF 35 1.8, now im stuck with only that lens. (but its a very good lens)

I just want to buy some other lenses, but there is just no stock, and its end august now. Is this only in europe like this or everywhere?

Greetings

https://store.canon.co.uk/rf-lenses/ shows the stones in stock for the Canon UK official store, but I believe they still come from Amsterdam.

GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,604

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Greetings

If the drought persists perhaps get some used EF lenses and resell when RF stock is available

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
OP Reservoir_Dog Regular Member • Posts: 232

Almost end September still nothing. This is getting very ridiculous. I want to score a 24-105, when will it be in stock? In 2023????

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Almost end September still nothing. This is getting very ridiculous. I want to score a 24-105, when will it be in stock? In 2023????

Not trying to change your mind but is it the same "drought" with third party lenses like Tamron and Sigma?

Not a good way to do business by offering cameras you can't get lenses for. Tens to sour customers driving them to another manufacturer

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,301

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

I don't want to take away your right to have a rant , but have you not noticed there's been a global pandemic going on for over eighteen months ?

The supply chain for many goods and component parts have been greatly disrupted , having a knock on effect with the final products .

It's alright having almost everything in the Canon lens factory , but if the metal screws needed for assembly aren't available , tough .

Same goes for electrical components , if your struggling still for outsourced parts , what you gonna do ??

Even basics in the building industry such as timber and cement are in short supply , and most of what is available go to fulfill major government contracts , such as the HS2 link in the UK .

Surely you knew this when you bought the camera ?

Did you not know the shelves of many shops have been almost empty ?

Or at least a limited choice .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +60 more

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

I don't want to take away your right to have a rant , but have you not noticed there's been a global pandemic going on for over eighteen months ?

The supply chain for many goods and component parts have been greatly disrupted , having a knock on effect with the final products .

It's alright having almost everything in the Canon lens factory , but if the metal screws needed for assembly aren't available , tough .

Same goes for electrical components , if your struggling still for outsourced parts , what you gonna do ??

Even basics in the building industry such as timber and cement are in short supply , and most of what is available go to fulfill major government contracts , such as the HS2 link in the UK .

Yes i know all of this but why is it taking so long?

neilt3

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

So you know all this , but still can't grasp it ?

Give it time to sink in .

Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +60 more
davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,393

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

WOW that is awesome, you beat me to it

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Canon RF 70-200 F4 L Canon RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM +30 more

davel33 wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Funny dudes here

neilt3

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

davel33 wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Funny dudes here

There certainly is . So have you worked it out yet ?

Marquee Regular Member • Posts: 375

Why not import a lens from HK/China? I have done this a number oif times and saved a lot of money with great service

https://uk-store.digitalrev.com/products/can1106243?_pos=7&_sid=36ba1b4d9&_ss=r&currency=EUR

I presume Digital Rev ships to Belgium.

Mark

Marquee's gear list:Marquee's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +4 more

Marquee wrote:

Why not import a lens from HK/China? I have done this a number oif times and saved a lot of money with great service

https://uk-store.digitalrev.com/products/can1106243?_pos=7&_sid=36ba1b4d9&_ss=r&currency=EUR

Mark

Because since a few months now if you import something from outside europe to belgium you have to pay customs fee and its substantial, so no not going to do that.

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Marquee wrote:

Mark

Because since a few months now if you import something from outside europe to belgium you have to pay customs fee and its substantial, so no not going to do that.

A reputable grey importer (there is such a thing) will quote prices including duty, VAT and delivery, a lot of them include a year or three years insurance based warranty and you have 14 days to return items for a refund, but...

DigitalRev charge a 15% restocking fee if you've opened the box and it's not faulty but you've changed your mind.

Some official importers (particularly in the USA) take such a dim view of grey imports that they won't even take them in for a paid service.

Sittatunga wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Marquee wrote:

Mark

A reputable grey importer (there is such a thing) will quote prices including duty, VAT and delivery, a lot of them include a year or three years insurance based warranty and you have 14 days to return items for a refund, but...

DigitalRev charge a 15% restocking fee if you've opened the box and it's not faulty but you've changed your mind.

Some official importers (particularly in the USA) take such a dim view of grey imports that they won't even take them in for a paid service.

So digitalrev is reputable?

I have bought a 24mm TS-E 3.5L II, 100-400 II and a Canon 5d Mark IV from digital rev. All came within a week, no extra duty over the advertised price, all have worked flawlessly.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +4 more

If I was going to buy and RF lens, the 24-105 F4L is the one I would buy. Its the best 24-105 in its class. The other RF L lenses are great, but crazy money and I am not interested in F1.2L glass. The level of vignetting, particularly on the wide ange zooms is very high, OK corrected by software, but for the money I would want less vignetting (less than 3EV anyway). I will be adapting EF for years to come in most situations.

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Marquee wrote:

Mark

So digitalrev is reputable?

I never said that, though they claim a customer satisfication of 4.9/5 on TrustPilot. I've never dealt with them myself, or checked what guarantees they offer, but then I'm not that impressed with their prices.  Other grey importers are available, though I've not heard of any Belgian ones.

Store.canon.be list the RF 24-105 that you're interested in at €1220, but it's not in stock. The STM version is in stock at €510, the 24-240mm at €1020, the 50mm f/1.8 at €240, the 85mm f/2 at €720 and they will let you pre-order the new 100-400mm for €750. Most of the rest of their stock is over €1000.

Sittatunga wrote:

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Marquee wrote:

Mark

I have bought gray market but when I do I factor in one service call payment into my calculation. From my unofficial watching of threads $300-400 seems reasonable for a service so If I can save more than that on gray market, to me, it's worth it which I did when I got my 5D4 and happy with my decision. No service needed within the 1 year period

Last I heard Canon will service gray market equipment (not under warranty) unlike Nikon which a friend of mine got burned on

GreatWhiteWing wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

I have bought gray market but when I do I factor in one service call payment into my calculation. From my unofficial watching of threads $300-400 seems reasonable for a service so If I can save more than that on gray market, to me, it's worth it which I did when I got my 5D4 and happy with my decision. No service needed within the 1 year period

Last I heard Canon will service gray market equipment (not under warranty) unlike Nikon which a friend of mine got burned on

You meant to say Canon USA will.  Canon UK will too.  US Nikon's behaviour would be frowned on on Europe as anti-competitive but I don't know if it's actually illegal.  But UK, EU and USA are a small proportion of the world market, which is why I qualified my statement.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads