External microphone for Sony a6600

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Lemi Regular Member • Posts: 313
External microphone for Sony a6600

Hi guys. I tried to scroll through all threads regarding external mics in the past and unfortunately found not so many useful. I'm trying to learn how to shoot video using my a6600 with an external mic but there is not much of information about it.

I plan to video family gatherings mostly and sometimes so I'm not going to turn myself completely to videography since I'm mostly a still photographer especially for traveling and wildlife so I don't need the most sophisticated video equipment but one which would make my videos a pleasure to watch and listen.

What kind of external mics you guys would recommend and why? I'll be happy to read everything you offer. Thank you all for future replies!

Lemi's gear list:Lemi's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
OP Lemi Regular Member • Posts: 313
Re: External microphone for Sony a6600

Anybody with an experience with an external microphone.

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 3,068

Tons of youtubes.

Depends on your needs.

That’s why I can’t choose since there are so many of them plus some people were talking of compatibility issues so I realized that not every single mic presented in B&H store would work flawlessly. Which one of them to choose, that’s the question.

Bento2 Regular Member • Posts: 324

I love the Rode video micro. It's small less than $100 and has great sound. You can even mount it on a boom and it works great. They have other models that are more expensive but this one works great.

https://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicro

The wireless GO II is pretty good too. Lots of good options with what it can do.

https://www.rode.com/microphones/wireless/wirelessgoii

DirkPeh
DirkPeh Regular Member • Posts: 211

I use the A6400 with a Sennheiser MKE 440 stereo-mic. It is very good for the price. There are mono-versions available, too. I think they released just one that is smaller and more convenient than the previous ones. It is the MKE 400.

The reason that I chose the stereo version is that I record a lot of music.

A huge advantage is that it has kind of its own mic-preamp, so you can drive the low-quality noisy preamp of the Sony Alpha as low as possible.

One important thing: you should by any means not use the auto-gain function of the Sony. Set the levels manually!!! It is a bit tricky 'cause if you are in auto-mode, you can not chose to set the levels manually! The auto-gain has a radical inbuild limiter that crushes your signal and pumps (as soon as the audio signal is a bit lower, it audible amplifies the signal just adding noise and pumping).

I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fan and in comparison videos I've watched, I prefered the Sennheiser to Rode and other mics.

DirkPeh's gear list:DirkPeh's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more

Thank you, guys for your output. I really appreciate it. I have to think which one of two solutions fits my needs better.

pwmoree
pwmoree Contributing Member • Posts: 589

I used the SONY ECMW2BT.CE7 set

See  https://electronics.sony.com/search/ecmw2bt

It is only a recent release and works great.

However I used it only once for a project and I am not realy into video.

If you like it, make me an offer and I will ship it to you.

Peter

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony a6600 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +8 more
ChazzMichaelMichaels
ChazzMichaelMichaels Junior Member • Posts: 34

I bought a Rode microphone, mainly to deal with wind noise when filming friends playing golf. And lockdown zoom meetings (my Dell laptop has a very oddly placed webcam).

I can't really complain about it. Obviously much better than the inbuilt mic!

Thank you ChazzMichaelMichaels. I was thinking about one of the Rode mics especially yours.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads