Purchasing a new Mac

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Purchasing a new Mac

I currently have what is shown on the screen shot below. As you can see this was purchased many years ago. The only upgrade I did was the 2TBSSD. I want to purchase another MAC to meet my current needs. I have a Canon R5 45mp camera, use Lightroom and photoshop and now currently using DXL PL4 mainly for NR. Everything is very slow on my current system. I might add that I primarily shoot RAW.

I’m not that knowledgeable in choosing a new system. I know I can go to the Apple store for advice but rather get some suggestions on this forum from photographers on what would be the minimum I would need to perform better than what I have.

I wouldn’t mind stepping up a bit more than the minimum to help with future system requirements that might be necessary.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 19,342
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

The screen shot is missing.

Saint 112 Senior Member • Posts: 1,784
Re: Purchasing a new Mac
7

IMHO it's a no-brainer: get an M1 model (either iMac, Mini or MacBook Air depending on your preferences) which is more than enough for the type of type of job you are doing: PL, PS and LR. With my M1 MBA I use DxO PhotoLab and I think it'll do the job for years. Since I already owned a 32" monitor I chose to have just one computer as a desktop and a laptop. It's very convenient and very versatile.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait for the next generation, dubbed the M1X, which is expected to be even more powerful. As far as performances are concerned I don't think it's relevant for you if you don't play games and don't do professional video or music editing. I would feel attracted if the new chips had 32GB RAM instead of 16 but, aside from that, the M1 chip is more than powerful enough.

Nick

 Saint 112's gear list:Saint 112's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 III
OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

Tom_N wrote:

The screen shot is missing.

Thanks, It had showed up on my post when I sent it. Now it is gone!

iMac. Late 2012

Processor 3.4 GHz Interl Core i7

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk 2TBSSD

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Missing Screenshot Information

For some reason my screenshot is gone.

Here is the information on my current iMac

iMac. Late 2012

Processor 3.4 GHz Interl Core i7

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk 2TBSSD

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

Saint 112 wrote:

IMHO it's a no-brainer: get an M1 model (either iMac, Mini or MacBook Air depending on your preferences) which is more than enough for the type of type of job you are doing: PL, PS and LR. With my M1 MBA I use DxO PhotoLab and I think it'll do the job for years. Since I already owned a 32" monitor I chose to have just one computer as a desktop and a laptop. It's very convenient and very versatile.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait for the next generation, dubbed the M1X, which is expected to be even more powerful. As far as performances are concerned I don't think it's relevant for you if you don't play games and don't do professional video or music editing. I would feel attracted if the new chips had 32GB RAM instead of 16 but, aside from that, the M1 chip is more than powerful enough.

Nick

Thank you for the information. ‘m not in a hurry. Actually my plans were for the end of this year or beginning of next year. I don’t know when the new models are expected to come out.

Since I have not purchased a computer since 2012 there is some research I’m starting to do. I hear more and more about the M1.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 9,113
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

cpharm86 wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

IMHO it's a no-brainer: get an M1 model (either iMac, Mini or MacBook Air depending on your preferences) which is more than enough for the type of type of job you are doing: PL, PS and LR. With my M1 MBA I use DxO PhotoLab and I think it'll do the job for years. Since I already owned a 32" monitor I chose to have just one computer as a desktop and a laptop. It's very convenient and very versatile.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait for the next generation, dubbed the M1X, which is expected to be even more powerful. As far as performances are concerned I don't think it's relevant for you if you don't play games and don't do professional video or music editing. I would feel attracted if the new chips had 32GB RAM instead of 16 but, aside from that, the M1 chip is more than powerful enough.

Nick

Thank you for the information. ‘m not in a hurry. Actually my plans were for the end of this year or beginning of next year. I don’t know when the new models are expected to come out.

Since I have not purchased a computer since 2012 there is some research I’m starting to do. I hear more and more about the M1.

Given pandemic issues, it's unclear when new iMacs with the new chips will come. Latest rumors 2022. New Macbook Pros probably sooner.

It depends a lot on your budget, but definitely one of the M1 Apple Silicon Macs; don't buy one of the old style.

You've got a GIGANTIC mismatch between your camera tech and your ability to post process those images. If you don't need portability, and don't want to buy a new monitor, the 24" M1 iMac seems like a total no-brainer. And soon, unless you want to struggle along for months with the old one. I assume you bought the new R5 for a reason; be nice to make it easier to use no?

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

robgendreau wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

IMHO it's a no-brainer: get an M1 model (either iMac, Mini or MacBook Air depending on your preferences) which is more than enough for the type of type of job you are doing: PL, PS and LR. With my M1 MBA I use DxO PhotoLab and I think it'll do the job for years. Since I already owned a 32" monitor I chose to have just one computer as a desktop and a laptop. It's very convenient and very versatile.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait for the next generation, dubbed the M1X, which is expected to be even more powerful. As far as performances are concerned I don't think it's relevant for you if you don't play games and don't do professional video or music editing. I would feel attracted if the new chips had 32GB RAM instead of 16 but, aside from that, the M1 chip is more than powerful enough.

Nick

Thank you for the information. ‘m not in a hurry. Actually my plans were for the end of this year or beginning of next year. I don’t know when the new models are expected to come out.

Since I have not purchased a computer since 2012 there is some research I’m starting to do. I hear more and more about the M1.

Given pandemic issues, it's unclear when new iMacs with the new chips will come. Latest rumors 2022. New Macbook Pros probably sooner.

It depends a lot on your budget, but definitely one of the M1 Apple Silicon Macs; don't buy one of the old style.

You've got a GIGANTIC mismatch between your camera tech and your ability to post process those images.

Yes, frustrating. Good thing I don’t do this professionally except for a job here and there. I used to do more paid jobs in the film days.

If you don't need portability, and don't want to buy a new monitor, the 24" M1 iMac seems like a total no-brainer. And soon, unless you want to struggle along for months with the old one.

I currently have a 27” iMac so at the end I want at least that size monitor. I am not in a real hurry but not sure now if I want to go with a MacBook or desktop now. If a MacBook I will then need a new monitor for home use.

I assume you bought the new R5 for a reason; be nice to make it easier to use no?

I bought the R5 when I went from DSLR’s to mirrorless. I previously had the Canon 1Dx series and 5D series but sold them for the R camera and some RF glass.

Saint 112 Senior Member • Posts: 1,784
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

cpharm86 wrote:

I currently have a 27” iMac so at the end I want at least that size monitor. I am not in a real hurry but not sure now if I want to go with a MacBook or desktop now. If a MacBook I will then need a new monitor for home use.

If you go for a MB keep in mind that the current M1 MB have only 2 Thunderbolt-3 ports and nothing else. So for any other type of connection you need either a USB-C adapter or a TB dock with USB-A ports, a video port (HDMI or DisplayPort), SD card reader, RJ45 (unless you use WiFi). Maybe the next generation will be better equipped.

I bought an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. Very expensive but very complete.

Check what types of video ports your monitor is equipped with: HDMI (what version, if it's a bit old it might be an issue), DisplayPort (preferable), Thunderbolt.

Nick

 Saint 112's gear list:Saint 112's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 III
OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

Saint 112 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I currently have a 27” iMac so at the end I want at least that size monitor. I am not in a real hurry but not sure now if I want to go with a MacBook or desktop now. If a MacBook I will then need a new monitor for home use.

If you go for a MB keep in mind that the current M1 MB have only 2 Thunderbolt-3 ports and nothing else.

Yes, I saw that.

So for any other type of connection you need either a USB-C adapter or a TB dock with USB-A ports, a video port (HDMI or DisplayPort), SD card reader, RJ45 (unless you use WiFi). Maybe the next generation will be better equipped.

I bought an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. Very expensive but very complete.

Check what types of video ports your monitor is equipped with: HDMI (what version, if it's a bit old it might be an issue), DisplayPort (preferable), Thunderbolt.

I do have some research to do but not in a hurry. Lots of changes since 2012.

Nick

lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,743
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

cpharm86 wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I currently have a 27” iMac so at the end I want at least that size monitor. I am not in a real hurry but not sure now if I want to go with a MacBook or desktop now. If a MacBook I will then need a new monitor for home use.

If you go for a MB keep in mind that the current M1 MB have only 2 Thunderbolt-3 ports and nothing else.

Yes, I saw that.

So for any other type of connection you need either a USB-C adapter or a TB dock with USB-A ports, a video port (HDMI or DisplayPort), SD card reader, RJ45 (unless you use WiFi). Maybe the next generation will be better equipped.

I bought an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. Very expensive but very complete.

Check what types of video ports your monitor is equipped with: HDMI (what version, if it's a bit old it might be an issue), DisplayPort (preferable), Thunderbolt.

I do have some research to do but not in a hurry. Lots of changes since 2012.

Nick

Another reason to wait is the upgraded chips will support more ports. . .  You may be able to save some money not having to buy a hub or dock (a lot of money if were talking Thunderbolt).

There is a rumor that the Mac Mini will see an upgrade before the end of the year.  That's what I am waiting to see. . .  Then I'll likely get another NEC display, probably a 27".

Keep doing the research. . . The Apple Silicon M chips are significant game changers.  One thing I've found is that for certain processes the amount of RAM isn't as critical with Apple Silicon.  In some cases an M1 Mini with 16GB RAM handily beats a maxed-out Intel Mac with 32GB RAM by a country mile. An 8GB M1 Mini is also faster but doubling the RAM made an enormous difference in speed.

Apple M1 Chip: Everything You Need to Know

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

lightandaprayer wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I currently have a 27” iMac so at the end I want at least that size monitor. I am not in a real hurry but not sure now if I want to go with a MacBook or desktop now. If a MacBook I will then need a new monitor for home use.

If you go for a MB keep in mind that the current M1 MB have only 2 Thunderbolt-3 ports and nothing else.

Yes, I saw that.

So for any other type of connection you need either a USB-C adapter or a TB dock with USB-A ports, a video port (HDMI or DisplayPort), SD card reader, RJ45 (unless you use WiFi). Maybe the next generation will be better equipped.

I bought an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. Very expensive but very complete.

Check what types of video ports your monitor is equipped with: HDMI (what version, if it's a bit old it might be an issue), DisplayPort (preferable), Thunderbolt.

I do have some research to do but not in a hurry. Lots of changes since 2012.

Nick

Another reason to wait is the upgraded chips will support more ports. . . You may be able to save some money not having to buy a hub or dock (a lot of money if were talking Thunderbolt).

There is a rumor that the Mac Mini will see an upgrade before the end of the year. That's what I am waiting to see. . . Then I'll likely get another NEC display, probably a 27".

Keep doing the research. . . The Apple Silicon M chips are significant game changers. One thing I've found is that for certain processes the amount of RAM isn't as critical with Apple Silicon. In some cases an M1 Mini with 16GB RAM handily beats a maxed-out Intel Mac with 32GB RAM by a country mile. An 8GB M1 Mini is also faster but doubling the RAM made an enormous difference in speed.

Good information.

Apple M1 Chip: Everything You Need to Know

lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,743
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

cpharm86 wrote: Good information.

Happy to help. I just want to add that it won't be long after the new Macs are introduced before factory refurbished units will be available. You can save at least 15% with full warranty protection (including AppleCare+) and a 14-day no-questions asked return policy.

A few weeks ago the SSD in my wife's 2011 13" MBP suddenly died (a Samsung 850EVO I installed over 3 years ago. . .) I was already looking for a new Mac for her, waiting for the rumored updates. But sometimes circumstances dictate when it is time to upgrade. LOL

We got a refurb base-model MacBook Air for $850 vs. $999. It arrived two days after we placed the order. My wife is delighted; an MBP is overkill for her needs. The main difference is better cooling (the MBP has a fan) but it if you aren't prone to regularly pushing your Mac to its limit, CPU throttling won't be an issue. Hence, another $300 saved. . .

Popular refurbed Macs tend to go fast, so I rely on Refurb Tracker to send me an email alert when the Mac I want shows up in the online store. iPad, iPhones and other products also show up as refurbs. Refurb Tracker works in every country that has access to an online Apple store.

ChrisLumix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,370
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

cpharm86 wrote:

I currently have what is shown on the screen shot below. As you can see this was purchased many years ago. The only upgrade I did was the 2TBSSD. I want to purchase another MAC to meet my current needs. I have a Canon R5 45mp camera, use Lightroom and photoshop and now currently using DXL PL4 mainly for NR. Everything is very slow on my current system. I might add that I primarily shoot RAW.

I’m not that knowledgeable in choosing a new system. I know I can go to the Apple store for advice but rather get some suggestions on this forum from photographers on what would be the minimum I would need to perform better than what I have.

I wouldn’t mind stepping up a bit more than the minimum to help with future system requirements that might be necessary.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

WAIT! Just a short while, until a Mac with M1X comes out (just weeks away I'd say?). The M1 is geared to fairly basic users, and though Lightroom will certainly show an increase in speed, if you're using Photoshop and shoot RAW, you will want to wait for a more Pro chip, which the M1X will be, and will offer higher max RAM and greater storage options, not to mention more cores.

-- hide signature --

Panas0n!c Lum!x LX100, TZ60

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

ChrisLumix wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I currently have what is shown on the screen shot below. As you can see this was purchased many years ago. The only upgrade I did was the 2TBSSD. I want to purchase another MAC to meet my current needs. I have a Canon R5 45mp camera, use Lightroom and photoshop and now currently using DXL PL4 mainly for NR. Everything is very slow on my current system. I might add that I primarily shoot RAW.

I’m not that knowledgeable in choosing a new system. I know I can go to the Apple store for advice but rather get some suggestions on this forum from photographers on what would be the minimum I would need to perform better than what I have.

I wouldn’t mind stepping up a bit more than the minimum to help with future system requirements that might be necessary.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

WAIT! Just a short while, until a Mac with M1X comes out (just weeks away I'd say?). The M1 is geared to fairly basic users, and though Lightroom will certainly show an increase in speed, if you're using Photoshop and shoot RAW, you will want to wait for a more Pro chip, which the M1X will be, and will offer higher max RAM and greater storage options, not to mention more cores.

Thank you, after all the responses it will make sense to wait. I wasn’t in a big hurry but waiting for the new models will be beneficial.

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac
1

lightandaprayer wrote:

cpharm86 wrote: Good information.

Happy to help. I just want to add that it won't be long after the new Macs are introduced before factory refurbished units will be available. You can save at least 15% with full warranty protection (including AppleCare+) and a 14-day no-questions asked return policy.

A few weeks ago the SSD in my wife's 2011 13" MBP suddenly died (a Samsung 850EVO I installed over 3 years ago. . .) I was already looking for a new Mac for her, waiting for the rumored updates. But sometimes circumstances dictate when it is time to upgrade. LOL

We got a refurb base-model MacBook Air for $850 vs. $999. It arrived two days after we placed the order. My wife is delighted; an MBP is overkill for her needs. The main difference is better cooling (the MBP has a fan) but it if you aren't prone to regularly pushing your Mac to its limit, CPU throttling won't be an issue. Hence, another $300 saved. . .

Popular refurbed Macs tend to go fast, so I rely on Refurb Tracker to send me an email alert when the Mac I want shows up in the online store. iPad, iPhones and other products also show up as refurbs. Refurb Tracker works in every country that has access to an online Apple store.

Sounds good as another option.

JPAlbert Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

You should try to "hold on" from now until the end of the year.

There will be some very nice Macs introduced between now and then, including new MacBook Pros with the next-generation m-series CPUs.

It also looks like there may be an updated Mac Mini coming before the end of the year that will be much nicer than the current m1 Mini.

And the upcoming large-screen iMac should be out in December/Jan/Feb time frame. Also with the next-generation m-series CPU.

I predict the new m-series Macs will make the introductory models pale by comparison. But we will have to wait and see on that one.

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

JPAlbert wrote:

You should try to "hold on" from now until the end of the year.

There will be some very nice Macs introduced between now and then, including new MacBook Pros with the next-generation m-series CPUs.

It also looks like there may be an updated Mac Mini coming before the end of the year that will be much nicer than the current m1 Mini.

And the upcoming large-screen iMac should be out in December/Jan/Feb time frame. Also with the next-generation m-series CPU.

I predict the new m-series Macs will make the introductory models pale by comparison. But we will have to wait and see on that one.

Thank you for this information. I think about everyone on this thread was very helpful and convinced me to wait. I wasn’t planning on upgrading for a few months but it is worth the wait until the beginning of the year. I have lasted this long with a 2012 iMac.

Just about anything will be better. 

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,342
Re: Missing Screenshot Information

cpharm86 wrote:

For some reason my screenshot is gone.

Maybe you deleted it from disk before DPreview finished uploading it.

Here is the information on my current iMac

iMac. Late 2012

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk 2TBSSD

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB

This one?

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.4-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

The i7-3770 CPU, rated 6370 Passmark, is better than the GPU, rated 4271 3Dmark, but even that is not bad. I have a 2014 Macbook 15 that is still usable, with similar benchmarks.

OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
Re: Missing Screenshot Information

CAcreeks wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

For some reason my screenshot is gone.

Maybe you deleted it from disk before DPreview finished uploading it.

Here is the information on my current iMac

iMac. Late 2012

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk 2TBSSD

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB

This one?

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.4-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

The i7-3770 CPU, rated 6370 Passmark, is better than the GPU, rated 4271 3Dmark, but even that is not bad. I have a 2014 Macbook 15 that is still usable, with similar benchmarks.

Yes, looks like the one. Not bad but slower than I want and need.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads