Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
quattro88
quattro88 Contributing Member • Posts: 834
Re: Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

I think nobody mentioned the native Nikon Nikkor AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 VR. It's very small, light (265g) and pretty sharp. The lab test results were better than for its Sigma equivalent lens. Below is the image, created by Z50 with this lens.

Z50, @10mm, f/11, 1/100", ISO 110

-- hide signature --

Efraim
Quebec City, Canada
Nikon Z6, Nikon Z7, Nikon Z50, Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4 S, Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8 S, Nikkor Z 50 f/1.8 S, Nikkor Z 24-200 f4-6.3, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S.
Nikkor AF-P 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6.
Web: http://www.rightonphotography.com

quattro88's gear list:quattro88's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +8 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,740

quattro88 wrote:

I think nobody mentioned the native Nikon Nikkor AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 VR.

Many of the initial responses to the thread did mention that lens.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +17 more
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,387
Looking for a wider angle Z lens for my Z50

quattro88 wrote:

I think nobody mentioned the native Nikon Nikkor AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 VR. It's very small, light (265g) and pretty sharp. The lab test results were better than for its Sigma equivalent lens. Below is the image, created by Z50 with this lens.

Z50, @10mm, f/11, 1/100", ISO 110

This lens has a very good reputation: reviewers and owners praise it.

The point is elsewhere: I (and I guess a few others) bought the Z50 thinking we would get Z DX lenses and that the FTZ was a temporary, stop gap, solution to the lack of Z DX lenses.

The fact that the Z50 is small was one of the reasons I bought this camera. But most of the times, I cannot enjoy this advantage.

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
SushiRyu Regular Member • Posts: 214

A native DX ultra wide zoom isn’t going to be available for probably a couple of years. If you want the focal length, the 10-20mm with an FTZ is probably quite affordable used to tide you over. Or there are some (manual focus) 3rd party primes like this Laowa: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1662672-REG/venus_optics_ve928nz_laowa_9mm_f_2_8_zero_d.html

SushiRyu's gear list:SushiRyu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon Z6 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,387

SushiRyu wrote:

A native DX ultra wide zoom isn’t going to be available for probably a couple of years. If you want the focal length, the 10-20mm with an FTZ is probably quite affordable used to tide you over. Or there are some (manual focus) 3rd party primes like this Laowa: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1662672-REG/venus_optics_ve928nz_laowa_9mm_f_2_8_zero_d.html

9mm is fish eye.

there's also a 12mm (Pergear) which seems decent, quite cheap but so and so optically

I am not sure Nikon can afford to wait 2 years to improve the Z Dx lens line up

I am hoping Viltrox will come up with a solution

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
TheWillRogers
TheWillRogers Regular Member • Posts: 369

Brueghel wrote:

SushiRyu wrote:

9mm is fish eye.

there's also a 12mm (Pergear) which seems decent, quite cheap but so and so optically

I am not sure Nikon can afford to wait 2 years to improve the Z Dx lens line up

I am hoping Viltrox will come up with a solution

the 9mm f2.8 Zero-D from Laowa is a rectilinear lens. "Zero Distortion" is a little bit of an overstatement but it's still pretty good. It is an itty-bitty lens too, like one of those bite size cupcakes you can get at any grocer.

TheWillRogers's gear list:TheWillRogers's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Straggler123 Regular Member • Posts: 310

You can also get a Samyang 12mm f/2 for e mount with an inexpensive dummy adapter. As a manual focus lens, it works mounted on my z50 like native, as I leave the very low profile dummy adapter permanently affixed to the lens.

The pergear 12mm looks like a fisheye too.

Kirnbichler Regular Member • Posts: 448

No, the Pergear 12mm is not a fisheye.

Yes, it has a protruding front element, which is quite normal in UWA lenses, but it is a rectilinear lens, as are both 9mm lenses made by Laowa/Venus Optics.

Still, the widest UWA lens you can get for APS-C seems to be the Sigma 8-16mm which is available in F mount. As this is an AF lens, it needs the FTZ adapter.

Both 9mm lenses from Laowa/Venus Optics are much smaller than the Sigma and Z native, but MF only, and "non-CPU".

The f/2.8 lens is an APS-C lens, the f/5.6 lens is a full frame lens and currently the widest lens on the market (but you won't profit from that on the Z-50).

A fisheye lens is for instance the Meike 8mm f/3.5.

Kirnbichler wrote:

Yes, it has a protruding front element, which is quite normal in UWA lenses, but it is a rectilinear lens, as are both 9mm lenses made by Laowa/Venus Optics.

Still, the widest UWA lens you can get for APS-C seems to be the Sigma 8-16mm which is available in F mount. As this is an AF lens, it needs the FTZ adapter.

Both 9mm lenses from Laowa/Venus Optics are much smaller than the Sigma and Z native, but MF only, and "non-CPU".

The f/2.8 lens is an APS-C lens, the f/5.6 lens is a full frame lens and currently the widest lens on the market (but you won't profit from that on the Z-50).

The pergear isn't marketed as a fisheye but someone posted a brick wall type shot in the last couple days, and it looked like a fisheye to me... Or close enough that I wouldn't know the difference. It's not an extreme fisheye, mind you, it's a 12mm after all, but that was some serious barrel distortion.

xlucine Regular Member • Posts: 270

ALio wrote:

Kirnbichler wrote:

The pergear isn't marketed as a fisheye but someone posted a brick wall type shot in the last couple days, and it looked like a fisheye to me... Or close enough that I wouldn't know the difference. It's not an extreme fisheye, mind you, it's a 12mm after all, but that was some serious barrel distortion.

Are you sure that was the 12mm? Reviewers all seem to agree that the 12mm has low distortion - the chinese MF lenses tend to control distortion quite well, as they can't correct it after the fact in camera

xlucine's gear list:xlucine's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 40mm F2
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,740

ALio wrote:

You can also get a Samyang 12mm f/2 for e mount with an inexpensive dummy adapter. As a manual focus lens, it works mounted on my z50 like native, as I leave the very low profile dummy adapter permanently affixed to the lens.

The pergear 12mm f/2 is not a fisheye.

Here's one review, with sample images that clearly show that the lens is rectilinear:

https://shuttermuse.com/pergear-12mm-f2-lens-review/

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +17 more

briantilley wrote:

ALio wrote:

The pergear 12mm f/2 is not a fisheye.

Here's one review, with sample images that clearly show that the lens is rectilinear:

https://shuttermuse.com/pergear-12mm-f2-lens-review/

Interesting, it seems the barrel distortion gets stronger at closer focal distances. Great value lens, no doubt, much cheaper than the Samyang f2.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads