Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
TheWillRogers
TheWillRogers Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

p5freak wrote:

Nikon didnt care for DX in the last 20 years, why should they now ?

The 10-20mm dx af-p came out in 2017 lol. It's only 2 years older than the Z50. Let's let Nikon get out the lenses for the monied crowd and get a few more DX bodies floating around. Until then we have options, no need to be a doomer about it.

TheWillRogers's gear list:TheWillRogers's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
OP NikonMike Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

TheWillRogers wrote:

p5freak wrote:

The 10-20mm dx af-p came out in 2017 lol. It's only 2 years older than the Z50. Let's let Nikon get out the lenses for the monied crowd and get a few more DX bodies floating around. Until then we have options, no need to be a doomer about it.

Will, you have a really nice gear setup.  Would be great for travel.

-- hide signature --

Mike

NikonMike's gear list:NikonMike's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more

A good third party option would be ok.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
jaymc
jaymc Senior Member • Posts: 1,092
Re: Get a Zfc

It is a rectangular fisheye ... will fill the frame of the APS-C filter; only circular when mounted on a FX camera.

See here .

jaymc's gear list:jaymc's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D850 Nikon Z fc +7 more
TheWillRogers

NikonMike wrote:

TheWillRogers wrote:

p5freak wrote:

Will, you have a really nice gear setup. Would be great for travel.

It is a great set up. When I'm backpacking & camping I can fit all of this into a 8ish liter soft case which I pack into a 10L dry sack with space to spare.

• FTZ + Nikkon 10-20mm 
  • 7Artisans 35mm f0.95
  • Nikkor 50-250mm
  • Z50 itself
  • extra battery,
  • Movo VXR-10 (it's a Rode VideoMicro Clone),
  • 10,000mAh battery,
  • 2 battery charging dock,
  • filter bag with CPL & step down rings,
  • a rocket blower & cleaning cloths

Tripod usually straps to the outside of my bag. Really my only issue with using the FTZ+10-20mm on the Z50 when I'm out and about is that the bottom of the FTZ adapter intersects where a mounting plate goes. So you have to have a mounting plate that offsets into the swivel range of the screen. Also if I have my Peak Capture Clip plate on the Z50 & I switch to the FTZ+10-20mm, I have to clip the camera on with the lens pointing up or take out my wrench and move the plate to the FTZ. Even worse, the FTZ isn't made of the toughest plastic and has already chipped in multiple places on the removable baseplate, protruding from the bottom of the camera makes it vulnerable.

Using a 3D printed grip extension from Gem City Market on Etsy alleviates pretty much every issue with the FTZ and Z50, but when I'm backpacking I try to minimize volume.

Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
wnattoknow New Member • Posts: 12

I got Nikon AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G DX IF ED VR and works fine with FTZ though firmware 2.1 led to aperture moving a lot which is supposed to be fixed in 2.11, though I regressed to 2.0. I find it softer than16-50 kit lense.

Photodog2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

What do you mean by aperture moving a lot? I'm about to upgrade my FTZ firmware so I am interested in reported issues. Thanks.

Photodog2's gear list:Photodog2's gear list
Pentax KP Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70 Sony a6000 +9 more
TheWillRogers

Photodog2 wrote:

What do you mean by aperture moving a lot? I'm about to upgrade my FTZ firmware so I am interested in reported issues. Thanks.

Just update to the newest version, it's fixed.

• • Fixed an issue occurring after the camera firmware was updated to version 2.10 that sometimes amplified the sounds generated by the aperture mechanisms when zoom or focus rings were rotated on certain F mount lenses connected via an FTZ mount adapter.

TheWillRogers wrote:

Photodog2 wrote:

Just update to the newest version, it's fixed.

• • Fixed an issue occurring after the camera firmware was updated to version 2.10 that sometimes amplified the sounds generated by the aperture mechanisms when zoom or focus rings were rotated on certain F mount lenses connected via an FTZ mount adapter.

OK, thanks buddy.

I have that same Movo mic!  Thought I wanted to make You Tube videos but that didn't last long.  I use a 3 legged thing universal bracket . . .Ellie I think. . . on my Z50 and it can be moved back so that it doesn't interfere with the FTZ.  I don't have an issue with it and the screen as I never use the screen facing forward. The bracket actually helps protect the screen.  On the FTZ I have a small Kirk bracket. it all works pretty well.

TheWillRogers wrote:

NikonMike wrote:

TheWillRogers wrote:

p5freak wrote:

Will, you have a really nice gear setup. Would be great for travel.

It is a great set up. When I'm backpacking & camping I can fit all of this into a 8ish liter soft case which I pack into a 10L dry sack with space to spare.

• FTZ + Nikkon 10-20mm
  • 7Artisans 35mm f0.95
  • Nikkor 50-250mm
  • Z50 itself
  • extra battery,
  • Movo VXR-10 (it's a Rode VideoMicro Clone),
  • 10,000mAh battery,
  • 2 battery charging dock,
  • filter bag with CPL & step down rings,
  • a rocket blower & cleaning cloths

Tripod usually straps to the outside of my bag. Really my only issue with using the FTZ+10-20mm on the Z50 when I'm out and about is that the bottom of the FTZ adapter intersects where a mounting plate goes. So you have to have a mounting plate that offsets into the swivel range of the screen. Also if I have my Peak Capture Clip plate on the Z50 & I switch to the FTZ+10-20mm, I have to clip the camera on with the lens pointing up or take out my wrench and move the plate to the FTZ. Even worse, the FTZ isn't made of the toughest plastic and has already chipped in multiple places on the removable baseplate, protruding from the bottom of the camera makes it vulnerable.

Using a 3D printed grip extension from Gem City Market on Etsy alleviates pretty much every issue with the FTZ and Z50, but when I'm backpacking I try to minimize volume.

-- hide signature --

Mike

I'm overwhelmed by all the great comments. Thanks. I hesitate buying a new lens designed for DSLRs to use on my Z camera.  That doesn't make much sense to me to do that, but Nikon doesn't really give us an option right now either.  I have a D300s but the lens unfortunately would work on that camera which would help justify it more.  So I think I am going to take a chance on a either a Nikon USA refurbished 10-20mm p lens or possibly a used Tokina 11-16 f2.8 II.  But leaning towards the Nikon for the size, weight, and silent focusing. Then If it doesn't work out or next year Nikon comes out with  a Z mount version, I won't take that much of a hit.  So that's where I stand right now, but could change my mind before I hit the Buy button.

-- hide signature --

Mike

p5freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,968

NikonMike wrote:

I'm overwhelmed by all the great comments. Thanks. I hesitate buying a new lens designed for DSLRs to use on my Z camera. That doesn't make much sense to me to do that, but Nikon doesn't really give us an option right now either. I have a D300s but the lens unfortunately would work on that camera which would help justify it more. So I think I am going to take a chance on a either a Nikon USA refurbished 10-20mm p lens or possibly a used Tokina 11-16 f2.8 II. But leaning towards the Nikon for the size, weight, and silent focusing. Then If it doesn't work out or next year Nikon comes out with a Z mount version, I won't take that much of a hit. So that's where I stand right now, but could change my mind before I hit the Buy button.

There will be no 10-20 Z version next year.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

mattviki
mattviki Regular Member • Posts: 158

I'm not sure that an AF-P lens would work on the D300(S). On the Nikon's compatibility list  is marked as not compatible.

mattviki's gear list:mattviki's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more

NikonMike wrote:

I'm overwhelmed by all the great comments. Thanks. I hesitate buying a new lens designed for DSLRs to use on my Z camera. That doesn't make much sense to me to do that, but Nikon doesn't really give us an option right now either. I have a D300s but the lens unfortunately would work on that camera which would help justify it more. So I think I am going to take a chance on a either a Nikon USA refurbished 10-20mm p lens or possibly a used Tokina 11-16 f2.8 II. But leaning towards the Nikon for the size, weight, and silent focusing. Then If it doesn't work out or next year Nikon comes out with a Z mount version, I won't take that much of a hit. So that's where I stand right now, but could change my mind before I hit the Buy button.

Thom Hogan seems to rate the Tokina 11-16/2.8 highly and it is one of the Tokinas that does AF with the FTZ. The brighter max aperture will be useful for indoor settings.

wnattoknow New Member • Posts: 12
  1. Photodog2 wrote:

When camera was on you could hear the aperture opening and closing as the camera moved around when switched on. Others reported same issue. It did not happen on my D5500 and Nikon say fixed in firmware upgrade to Z50.

Kirnbichler Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Get a Zfc

That's not the point.

Rectangular and rectilinear are two quite different things.

JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 939

TheWillRogers wrote:

p5freak wrote:

Good points. I've just ordered the Zfc and I must admit this and a few other threads were starting to make me reconsider. But then I thought, hey  I've always enjoyed Nikon DX bodies and lenses. I've used FX in the past with a D3 and the 'trinity' lenses and, great as they all are as well as the new Z FF lenses, I don't need or want FF. I'm 75 with arthritic hands and either the Z50 or Zfc will serve me well.

I'm not into sports (anymore), have no interest in BIFs (although I admire the work of those that are) and don't enter competitions these days so don't need to print big. And frankly if I couldn't do well in competitions with a DX camera and lens, I'd give up.

I could be happy with either of the DX offerings but, being an old-timer, the  Zfc appeals to me and I can work around the lack of a native wide angle. Mind you, back in the day, 35mm and 28mm were considered wide and 24 was extreme (!) so having to use an adapted lens is not the end of the world. Plus, in addition to the 2 kit zooms, there's the 18-140 and maybe the 28mm is on the horizon as well. Those lenses won't suit everyone but they'll do the job for me 

Others views will differ of course and there's always Sony, Fuji and MfT for those who want something different in a smaller camera. In the meantime I can't wait for the little Zfc to get here and to start shooting.

Keep safe everyone and good shooting,

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,246
perhaps...

we should ask the worshippers of the Zfc to lend a helping hand (I suddenly realized they did not contribute much to this thread).

I am 100% sure that the retro design helps get a wider FOV

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Canon EOS 6D Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more

You are right, I remember 20-30 years ago buying the Nikon 24mm F2.8  and selling it after a couple years because it was too wide an angle.

-- hide signature --

Mike

mattviki wrote:

I'm not sure that an AF-P lens would work on the D300(S). On the Nikon's compatibility list is marked as not compatible.

No it wouldn't.  I meant to say would not work.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads