Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Jeff_0000 Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

ZapperVT wrote:

Jeff_0000 wrote:

Megadap ETZ 11 + Tamron 11-20 f2.8

That has possibilities but at a high price ($829 + $249). No VR. And who knows if they work together on a Z50?

For most of what I use a UWA for (interiors, architecture, landscape) I would rather have VR than f/2.8 since I'm stopping down to at least 5.6 anyway. The Tamron would be much better for low light events though.

Just a suggestion... Its totally up to OP's decision whether or not to buy the Tamron or whatever other lenses

Jeff_0000's gear list:Jeff_0000's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +2 more
xlucine Regular Member • Posts: 188

TheWillRogers wrote:

NikonMike wrote:

TheWillRogers wrote:

I bought the 10-20mm to use with FTZ on my Z50. It functions great. It's image quality is fine, not quite as good as the 16-50mm & def not as good as the 50-250mm. Due to the size of the FTZ on the Z50 & the shape of the 10-20mm, I think the balance is a little strange. I only have one Peak Design plate as well & there's just a lot of awkwardness having the Z50 with a plate on it and trying to work with attachments like the FTZ.

It's still a part of my kit, but when the Z DX version comes out (please Nikon) i'll drop it in a heartbeat. Especially if the native version is smaller, with FTZ the 10-20mm is about the same size as the 50-250mm which takes up most of my camera bag on backpacking ventures.

Your situation sounds like mine. I missed a 10-20 on another site I belong to a few weeks ago that was sold for like $150. Wish I had nabbed that. My reluctance I think is spending $300 for a new one, and probably selling it for half that or less if and when Nikon has one in the Z mount. Now I do kind of like my 50 1..8G with the FTZ adaptor so I think I would be OK using the adaptor with it.

I got my 10-20mm from Nikon refurbished for $250. If I can sell it for $150 when there's a native Z option i'll be happy, though right now they're going for $200+ used.

Laowa makes a 9mm f2.8 for the X mount and a $15 adapter works since they're all manual. The Z-mount version is coming soon. But that's a $400 lens that's third party and doesn't have AF or VR. The Samyang 12mm F2 AF exists now on E mount, MegaDap's new adapter should make that work with the Z50, but then you're paying $400 for a lens, $250 for an adapter, and hoping MegaDap can keep up their software updates for compatibility. If you've got an FTZ already then the 10-20mm AF-P still seems to be the best option. If you don't have an FTZ, then $500 for FTZ + used 10-20mm is still the economy option for all it's features.

Laowa are on the more expensive end of MF lenses - you can get the pergear 12mm for $165, and it's native (so no extra cost for the adapter). Even assuming no resale value for the pergear lens, you could easily lose that much selling on FTZ+10-20 once/if the Z UWA DX zoom comes out - and that's without having to find a few hundred dollars right now for the nikon option. It's by far the cheapest way to try out UWA FoV on Z mount.

xlucine's gear list:xlucine's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 40mm F2
ZapperVT Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

Jeff_0000 wrote:

ZapperVT wrote:

Jeff_0000 wrote:

Megadap ETZ 11 + Tamron 11-20 f2.8

That has possibilities but at a high price ($829 + $249). No VR. And who knows if they work together on a Z50?

For most of what I use a UWA for (interiors, architecture, landscape) I would rather have VR than f/2.8 since I'm stopping down to at least 5.6 anyway. The Tamron would be much better for low light events though.

Just a suggestion... Its totally up to OP's decision whether or not to buy the Tamron or whatever other lenses

Sure.  Now I'm considering the possibility too!

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +9 more
OP NikonMike Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

ZapperVT wrote:

I had a 10-20 and used on my Z50. I thought it gave good results - sharp in the middle and adequate at the corners. It is strongest at 10mm where you need it and a bit weaker at 20mm. You can shoot it wide open which is good because it's not a fast lens. It has effective VR which also helps in low light such as interior architecture.

In short I think it's the best wide angle option for the Z50. You can get one in excellent condition from mpb.com for $229.

One of those excellent lenses at mpb.com is the one I just sold them. I reluctantly gave up APS-C as a full range system and sold all my F DX lenses. I kept the Z50 with the 16-50 to use when I want a small camera. I don't think Nikon will ever support Z DX with an adequate lens lineup.

Thanks!  I hope in time they come out with some more lenses for it as well as higher megapixel DX sensors.

-- hide signature --

Mike

NikonMike's gear list:NikonMike's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more

Kirnbichler wrote:

The widest you can get on an APS-C camera would be with the Sigma 8-16 that is available in F mount, thus needing the FTZ adapter. Back in my APS-C DSLR days (that is, roughly ten years ago) I used that lens on a camera with the same sensor as a D7000 and found the results to be appreciably good.

The Z50 has a 50% higher sensor resolution (24 instead of 16 MP), thus lens imperfections will be noticed a bit more, and this might be considered a somewhat dated lens design. For some reason, Sigma doesn't seem to have updated that lens.

Here's a test:

https://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/reviews/equipment-and-reviews/sigma-8-16mm-f4-5-5-6-dc

Regardless of that — 2mm less on the wider end than a 10-20 is a lot.

This lens compares to a 12-24 on FX, but is significantly smaller and lighter.

There's no filter thread, and no provision for a rear mount filter. There are 3rd-party adapter for 150mm square filters, 100mm would be too small. This is due to the fixed lens hood and the rather bulbous front lens element.

Maybe you can get this lens second-hand and just try it — I'd be interested in a report of it's performance on a current camera.

Thanks.  That is a lens I haven’t considered.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more

I think that probably  is the best option for right now.  I really don’t understand why a wide angle zoom isn’t even on Nikons roadmap.  They built several such zooms for their DX DSLRs.  And now nothing.

-- hide signature --

Mike

ALio Regular Member • Posts: 200

NikonMike wrote:

I think that probably is the best option for right now. I really don’t understand why a wide angle zoom isn’t even on Nikons roadmap. They built several such zooms for their DX DSLRs. And now nothing.

Just looking at this forum as an example, if you take the number of people clamoring for super telephotos vs. those of us wishing for more DX lenses, I think it's sadly clear why DX is getting the short end of the stick. The telephoto group is very vocal and have deep pockets.

As has been mentioned, Nikon is signaling DX shooters to switch systems or be satisfied as a second class customer. I think there's even a chance that Nikon won't give the DX sensors more megapixels because that would upstage the Z7 series for the telephoto users who always want smaller viewing angles.

I'm here because I still have my D750 and some FX glass, but Nikon shouldn't take this to mean that I enjoy being caught in this trap.  We know Nikon just doesn't have the resources to spend on DX for now, so any third party support is looking really great at the moment.

TheWillRogers
TheWillRogers Regular Member • Posts: 271

NikonMike wrote:

I think that probably is the best option for right now. I really don’t understand why a wide angle zoom isn’t even on Nikons roadmap. They built several such zooms for their DX DSLRs. And now nothing.

i'm sure they'll get to it, just as they eventually got to the 10-20mm designs (the 10-20mm AF-P only came out 3 years ago). Us broke folks down in consumer land with the APS-C bodies are small fish compared to the whales wanting super telephoto primes and zooms.

TheWillRogers's gear list:TheWillRogers's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more

I guess the only good that comes out of it is that Nikon saves me a lot of money by not having any lenses to buy other than the two kit lenses for my Z50.

Photodog2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

NikonMike wrote:

I guess the only good that comes out of it is that Nikon saves me a lot of money by not having any lenses to buy other than the two kit lenses for my Z50.

There is something to be thankful for that! It's early days though. You'll be making more trips in the future and who knows what lenses are being developed in several companies right now. Basically adapters are there for people who need to do something right now.  Other people can wait, or buy an F-mount, re-sell later and buy when a native Z becomes available.

Photodog2's gear list:Photodog2's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Sony a7 II +9 more
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

Photodog2 wrote:

NikonMike wrote:

There is something to be thankful for that!

Actually, we would have been better off $ wise without all these cameras and lenses.

Really thankful to read such enlightening analysis

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
quattro88
quattro88 Contributing Member • Posts: 807

I have AF-P 10-20 for a while and it produces very decent images. I tried it on Z7 and Z50.

I am struggling with my desire of purchasing Z 14-30 f4 S that everyone praises. When I look at my images produced with AF-P 10-20, I tell myself that 14-30 costs 5 times more than 10-20 but it can't be 5 times better. It might be somewhat better, but for my purpose, the outrageous cost is not justified when I have this little gem that weighs only 260g and does what I need it to do.

Well, seeing is believing. Here is the image. Does it miss anything, not sharp enough? For comparison, I also added the image taken with 10-20 mounted on Z7.

Z7 with AF-P 10-20

-- hide signature --

Efraim
Quebec City, Canada
Nikon Z6, Nikon Z7, Nikon Z50, Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4 S, Nikkor Z 50 f/1.8 S, Nikkor Z 24-200 f4-6.3, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S.
Nikkor AF-P 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor AF-P 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6.
Web: http://www.rightonphotography.com

quattro88's gear list:quattro88's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +5 more

Thank you for posting those. Very nice shots. I like the dramatic perspective of a super wide angle. Really, I don't get so hung up on sharpness as some do. Unless a lens has an issue like a decentered element they are always sharp enough for my needs. I look more at whether the focal length covers the range I want it to and how well the lens handles flares, CA, and the like, and even the mechanical feel. As I don't see Nikon coming out with a Z mount version anytime soon. I will probably spring for the 10-20and get a few years use of it before Nikon releases one in 2035.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Brueghel wrote:

Photodog2 wrote:

NikonMike wrote:

There is something to be thankful for that!

Actually, we would have been better off $ wise without all these cameras and lenses.

Really thankful to read such enlightening analysis

Nikon is always looking out for us. . . they don't want to see us spend money needlessly.  : )

-- hide signature --

Mike

fedo Junior Member • Posts: 40

Viltrox will certainly propose his new 13 mm f1.4 APS-C lens for Z mount next year.

The Laowa 9 mm f2.8 zero D APS-c lens is now available for Z mount, but the price is a bit hefty.

fedo's gear list:fedo's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Z fc
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,249
PERGEAR 12mm F2 Wide-Angle Manual Focus

That seems like a decent solution

Manual focus for a wide angle lens seems acceptable

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
p5freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,968

xlucine wrote:

TheWillRogers wrote:

NikonMike wrote:

TheWillRogers wrote:

I bought the 10-20mm to use with FTZ on my Z50. It functions great. It's image quality is fine, not quite as good as the 16-50mm & def not as good as the 50-250mm. Due to the size of the FTZ on the Z50 & the shape of the 10-20mm, I think the balance is a little strange. I only have one Peak Design plate as well & there's just a lot of awkwardness having the Z50 with a plate on it and trying to work with attachments like the FTZ.

It's still a part of my kit, but when the Z DX version comes out (please Nikon) i'll drop it in a heartbeat. Especially if the native version is smaller, with FTZ the 10-20mm is about the same size as the 50-250mm which takes up most of my camera bag on backpacking ventures.

Your situation sounds like mine. I missed a 10-20 on another site I belong to a few weeks ago that was sold for like $150. Wish I had nabbed that. My reluctance I think is spending $300 for a new one, and probably selling it for half that or less if and when Nikon has one in the Z mount. Now I do kind of like my 50 1..8G with the FTZ adaptor so I think I would be OK using the adaptor with it.

I got my 10-20mm from Nikon refurbished for $250. If I can sell it for $150 when there's a native Z option i'll be happy, though right now they're going for $200+ used.

Laowa makes a 9mm f2.8 for the X mount and a $15 adapter works since they're all manual. The Z-mount version is coming soon. But that's a $400 lens that's third party and doesn't have AF or VR. The Samyang 12mm F2 AF exists now on E mount, MegaDap's new adapter should make that work with the Z50, but then you're paying $400 for a lens, $250 for an adapter, and hoping MegaDap can keep up their software updates for compatibility. If you've got an FTZ already then the 10-20mm AF-P still seems to be the best option. If you don't have an FTZ, then $500 for FTZ + used 10-20mm is still the economy option for all it's features.

Laowa are on the more expensive end of MF lenses - you can get the pergear 12mm for $165, and it's native (so no extra cost for the adapter). Even assuming no resale value for the pergear lens, you could easily lose that much selling on FTZ+10-20 once/if the Z UWA DX zoom comes out - and that's without having to find a few hundred dollars right now for the nikon option. It's by far the cheapest way to try out UWA FoV on Z mount.

There will never be a Z DX 10-20mm zoom, or similar. I dont think there will ever be any Z DX lens released in the future from Nikon, except for the 18-140. They dont think DX is a format worth supporting. Not beyond kit lenses.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

NikonMike wrote:

ZapperVT wrote:

I had a 10-20 and used on my Z50. I thought it gave good results - sharp in the middle and adequate at the corners. It is strongest at 10mm where you need it and a bit weaker at 20mm. You can shoot it wide open which is good because it's not a fast lens. It has effective VR which also helps in low light such as interior architecture.

In short I think it's the best wide angle option for the Z50. You can get one in excellent condition from mpb.com for $229.

One of those excellent lenses at mpb.com is the one I just sold them. I reluctantly gave up APS-C as a full range system and sold all my F DX lenses. I kept the Z50 with the 16-50 to use when I want a small camera. I don't think Nikon will ever support Z DX with an adequate lens lineup.

Thanks! I hope in time they come out with some more lenses for it as well as higher megapixel DX sensors.

Highly unlikely. There are two DX lenses so far, and a third one is announced. Nikon didnt care for DX in the last 20 years, why should they now ?

-- hide signature --

ALio Regular Member • Posts: 200

I think they will get around to it, but it may be close to 5-10 years from now.

Re: PERGEAR 12mm F2 Wide-Angle Manual Focus

Brueghel wrote:

That seems like a decent solution

Manual focus for a wide angle lens seems acceptable

If you use it for landscape only there is no need to focus. Just stop down to f8, set the focus ring a little bit before the infinity mark, and shoot away. Everything will be in focus. Thats how i use my adapted Samyang 12mm f2 X-mount lens.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads