Johnny Depp and his camera.

Started Aug 14, 2021 | Discussions
C Sean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,329
Johnny Depp and his camera.

Johnny Depp is starring in a new film called MINSMSTA. He plays a wartime photographer coving a Japanese factory dumping toxic waste in the water supply. The film is based on a true story.

WARNING, the trailer isn't for the faint hearted.

The BBC did an article on the film and it turns out a few months ago Johnny Depp was in Barcelona with a Black Olympus PEN F. Interesting.

It just shows even with a successful Hollywood career and millions in the bank, a M43 camera can be more practical than other brands.

Disclaimer:

I understand Johnny Depp is controversial character with his Rock and Roll lifestyle. Also domestic abuse or workplace abuse should not be ignored or enabled. As many victims will testifies, domestic abuse isn't restricted only to men abusing women.

Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 28,675
Re: Johnny Depp and his camera.

C Sean wrote:

Johnny Depp is starring in a new film called MINSMSTA. He plays a wartime photographer coving a Japanese factory dumping toxic waste in the water supply. The film is based on a true story.

The BBC did an article on the film and it turns out a few months ago Johnny Depp was in Barcelona with a Black Olympus PEN F. Interesting.

It just shows even with a successful Hollywood career and millions in the bank, a M43 camera can be more practical than other brands.

Disclaimer:

I understand Johnny Depp is controversial character with his Rock and Roll lifestyle. Also domestic abuse or workplace abuse should not be ignored or enabled. As many victims will testifies, domestic abuse isn't restricted only to men abusing women.

the fact he isn't swanning about with a Leica and taking pictures with the lens cap on means that he has gone down in my estimations....  those Lenny Kravitz special editions were made for this man

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
edspen Regular Member • Posts: 287

The Depp, the toxic waste, you knowwww the big lizard will show up (LOL).

edspen Regular Member • Posts: 287

All kidding aside, Minamata was a sad example of money vs man. Thankfully the men with cameras are the untold heroes that unmask the worst and yet sometimes the best the world. It's said a picture is worth a thousand words, but what it reveals is priceless.

CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,712

W. Eugene Smith used the original Olympus PEN for many years (in part because of an endorsement deal with Olympus), among many other cameras, though he used a Minolta 35mm SLR for the Minamata series.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

leuallen Regular Member • Posts: 115

I had the great pleasure in the mid 70's to see the Minamata pictures up close and personal. The prints were by W. Eugene Smith himself and the were phenomenal. I was l pretty much alone in the gallery so I could view the pictures up close and at my leisure.

The owner of Chicago's top BW photo lab used by all the professional had recently sold out. I guess as something to do and as he had the property and photo contacts, he opened a gallery opened only on weekends. I visited it often and that is where I saw the Minamata photos.
There was one photo in particular, which has become famous, of a Japanese woman bathing her son crippled by the industrial plants chemically toxic waste water. It was awesome and I'll never forget it.
Mr. Smith was beaten by plant guards and suffered crippling injuries.  His interest in the subject was spurred by the fact that he had a Japanese wife. He was one of the great WW II photographers. He had a epic career as one of Life's photographers in the 50's producing many famous photo essays.
He is a hero and one of my most admired photographers.

pdelux Senior Member • Posts: 1,111

C Sean wrote:

Actually rumours are he is essentially broke -- mismanaged his finances for decades on wine collections and other luxury items (probably drank it all).

Maybe he's learned from his past mistakes, thats why he doesn't have a LEICA. Most likely he has no idea what hes got in hand, just a camera he got for free in some Hollywood event gift bag.

Though I suspect just about any camera brand would've given him a camera if he asked for it.

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
Aholt Regular Member • Posts: 105

The Minamata story is fascinating, and the film looks to be good. And here is the BBCarticle: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58200208 (and yes a Pen F).

But which lens is he using?

Anders

JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,935

pdelux wrote:

C Sean wrote:

Actually rumours are he is essentially broke -- mismanaged his finances for decades on wine collections and other luxury items (probably drank it all).

Maybe he's learned from his past mistakes, thats why he doesn't have a LEICA. Most likely he has no idea what hes got in hand, just a camera he got for free in some Hollywood event gift bag.

Though I suspect just about any camera brand would've given him a camera if he asked for it.

Yeah. His net worth is $200 mil. I guess when you get below that amount you’re considered broke.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R OM-1 +10 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 47,331
How exactly does it show that?

C Sean wrote:

just how exactly does it show that?  What if He made a wrong choice like many other things?  Maybe he got as a gift? 
How from PenF we go to a general moint conclusion?

and if most actors that are successful don’t pick m43 what does that mean according to this logic?

I see many overlooked assumptions and a faulty conclusion

Disclaimer:

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Walt Palmer
Walt Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,965

Aholt wrote:

The Minamata story is fascinating, and the film looks to be good. And here is the BBCarticle: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58200208 (and yes a Pen F).

But which lens is he using?

Anders

-- hide signature --

the Olympus 75/1.8 of course.

-- thus saith Walter ("Who?") Palmer, Ctr

Walt Palmer
Walt Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,965
Re: How exactly does it show that?

Raist3d wrote:

C Sean wrote:

just how exactly does it show that? What if He made a wrong choice like many other things? Maybe he got as a gift?

and if most actors that are successful don’t pick m43 what does that mean according to this logic?

Disclaimer:

-- hide signature --

just had a great vision of us squabbling over which camera the director put in J.Depp's hands in the film Mimimata. The coolest part was the soundtrack - seagulls squabbling over bait. I guess that is really the soundtrack of the recent internet overall.

-- thus saith Walter ("Who?") Palmer, Ctr

;-) nt
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

400trix
400trix Senior Member • Posts: 1,091

W. Eugene Smith, the protagonist of the movie. The qualities that make an excellent photojournalist are not the qualities that make for a peaceful life.

-- hide signature --

Archer in Boulder
God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +1 more
My question stands unanswered nt
-- hide signature --

Bassam Guy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874

Raist3d wrote:

C Sean wrote:

just how exactly does it show that? What if He made a wrong choice like many other things? Maybe he got as a gift?

Really, Raist1d, C Sean just made a casual comment, implicitly somewhat speculative, What difference does it make? Don't take it so seriously. And besides, who would give Johnny Depp a present? I wouldn't

Disclaimer:

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +6 more

Bassam Guy wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

C Sean wrote:

Really, Raist1d, C Sean just made a casual comment, implicitly somewhat speculative, What difference does it make? Don't take it so seriously. And besides, who would give Johnny Depp a present? I wouldn't

True, ok :-). Point taken.

-- hide signature --

Aholt Regular Member • Posts: 105

Hehe, aah, yes, it could have been the 75mm, but it is not! It could also have beem the old 14-42mm, but is is not. It seems to be a totally other lens, maybe a manual lens of some kind?

Anders

Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 933

pdelux wrote:

C Sean wrote:

Or maybe he does know and like the camera and maybe he is into photography. You certainly don't know what's in his head.

bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,572
Subliminal Product Advertising

Have you ever walked into a store or in today's world, gone online to buy something and found yourself drawn to a particular item, even though you don't know anything about it? That's the result of subliminal advertising and the TV and Movie industry makes a fortune off it. Manufacturers pay good money to have their products featured or even just place in a scene in contemporary period movies and TV shows.

Many years ago, I worked for one of the largest telecommunications manufacturers and the company came out with a new line of sleek modern business and residential telephones different from what everyone else was offering. All of a sudden, the new phones were showing up in TV and movies everywhere; sometimes just sitting on a desk or table and sometimes actually being used by an actor because the company paid a fortune for those product placements. The entire line started selling like hotcakes and the plant where they were made couldn't keep up with the demand.

So that's why Johnny Dep is using a Pen-F and considering the timeframe between making and releasing a movie, that was probably done by Olympus when the Pen-F was brand new, not OMDS. But when the movie starts showing everywhere, OMDS may have to crank out a lot of Pen-Fs.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
www.flickr.com/photos/wrs1946
“Gear Doesn’t Matter”
- Mattias Burling (Swedish Photographer & Videographer) -

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads